Silver Galapagos questions

ppiew

We have this cruise coming up and thought perhaps this thread could concentrate on questions and hopefully someone will know the answers:

1. is the back pack they give you adequate for rolling up a rain jacket?

2. what do u need to carry ashore for excursions?

3. If walking is difficult due to age or injury, are any provisions made to shorten hikes? I read somewhere there were 3 different 'levels' of excursions ie. easy, medium, trekker.

4. are all excursions required professional guiding or are u ever left alone to explore the islands?

5. Is a hat with a neck piece and 'beak' better than a 'safari' type hat?

6. Do the guides vary with each excursion or the same one throughout the cruise? What is the proper way to handle gratuities or is this SS responsibility?

7. we will be there early February. Any insight as to weather at that time?

I am sure I will think of plenty more as I am definitely a novice at Expedition Cruising.

Edited by ppiew
addition

Haven't been on silversea Galapagos yet, but have been on celebrity xpedition. All ships must follow the same rules.

1. Plenty big for a rain jacket though I doubt you will need one most of the time.

2. Water bottle, sunscreen, hiking poles if you want them

3. They will tell you the level of fitness for each excursion. Most times, you have options.

4. Absolutely no wandering around on your own is allowed. They are very strict on this. Sometimes you may be given parameters along a beach, but you can't explore on you own.

5. Don't wear hats so don't know. My husband wears a cowboy hat or baseball cap depending on the activity.

6. There are several guides and you will figure out which ones you like. You are not with the same one all the time. Gratuities are included.

7. Weather is pretty much the same year round I think.

8. What time are people getting back to Guayaquil? And for that matter, what time are they arriving in Guayaquil for a stopover from Quito on the way out?

Wonder if we could get this to be made a sticky?

Edited by 5waldos

We were able to arrange to fly back to Quito rather than Guayaquil for an additional cost of $25.00 per person. Someone else mentioned this option on another thread. I hope to arrange a day room in Quito as our flight back home isn't until 11:55.

I'm so glad this thread was started. I've been reading all the messages on this board regarding the Galapagos cruise, and I thought perhaps some of you could help me with some flight information.

Unfortunately, my TA and I are getting different answers to the same questions when we talk to a sales agent. I was encouraged to purchase the Silver Galapagos air package, which I intend to do, because it includes all the transfers, hotels, and flights to and from Baltra. When asked, the sales agent said that if I booked my own international flights, then I would have to pay for transfers in Ecuador even if I have purchased the Galapagos air package. This doesn't make sense to me. I would love to hear from those of you who are using this package and what your understanding of it is.

In addition, if you are using the Galapagos air package, is it your understanding that we will be flying non-stop from Quito to Baltra and then when we get back to Guayaguil, we don't necessarily need to go through Quito to leave the country.

I apologize for seeming so dense, but really, I find the information I'm getting confusing. My TA is working on it but currently is not getting a response from Silversea after sending e-mails to them as a followup to the phone calls. I know that Cruise Critic members can be the best source of information.

Thank you for any answers you can give me.

"In addition, if you are using the Galapagos air package, is it your understanding that we will be flying non-stop from Quito to Baltra and then when we get back to Guayaguil, we don't necessarily need to go through Quito to leave the country."

This part of your questions I can answer. The plane from Quito makes a stop in Guayaquil on the way to Baltra. I am certain of that since (at least on our trip) they are picking us up in Guayaquil. There are very few, if any, flights that fly directly from Quito to Baltra, almost all make the stop in Guayaquil. I have read that once in a while a plane may know that they are picking up nobody in Guayaquil, and dropping nobody off, so they may (and I stress may) go directly out to Baltra. But this is very rare.

And yes- there are flights out of Guayaquil back to the states. This website http://www.tagsa.aero/en_aeropuertojjo.html is the airport itself and lists arrivals and departures. Some of the flights back to the states do go through Quito but some go directly to the states. Or to other places, like Panama. Hope these help somewhat.

As far as the Silver Galapagos Air Package, as I read the information provided on the Silversea website, it only includes airfare and fees and transfers in the Galapagos. It does not seem to include transfers in Quito or Guayaquil, nor hotels there. I will be interested to see how they handle the $10 fee since they have added pickup in Guayaquil since I last looked at the website. I need to get more information about that since it suggests that they may have people at the airport there who will be assisting us.

Edited by 5waldos

my TA has been working with "George" from SS and we are also purchasing the SS air package and a precruise excursion to Machu Picchu. We fly from Cuzco to Quito, overnite in Quito, air to Baltra. on the return we fly from Baltra to Guayaquil then a day room and leave Guayaquil at 12:50 AM on American to Miami. I again asked the TA (who verified with 'George') that all accommodations, meet/great were included. Now fingers crossed that all goes well. The only thing we DON'T have with SS is air from hometown to Lima and from Guayaquil to home because SS doesn't have a flying pkg to the sml town we are from. I have asked several times about this to be sure all bases are covered. SS assures us when the 'Silver Box' arrives, all will be spelled out! (fingers crossed again]

here from the SS website"

"Galapagos Air Package: In addition to the cruise fare listed above, Silver Galapagos guests are strongly encouraged to purchase the Silversea Galapagos Air Package for an additional charge starting at $650 per person. The Silversea Galapagos Package conveniently includes flights to/from Quito/Baltra/Guayaquil with airport check-in assistance, the Galapagos National Park entrance fee and the Galapagos Immigration fee. These advance purchases are highly recommended to reduce any possible complications and simplify the complexities associated with travelling to the Galapagos."

Edited by ppiew
additional

Thank you, 5waldos, for such a quick reply. The info on the flights to and from Baltra is very helpful.

What I was told by the Silversea agent was that the package would provide a meet and greet in Quito and a transfer to the hotel, which is included in the package, transfer to the Quito airport, transfers and fees in Galapagos, transfer to hotel for dayroom in Guayaquil, and then transfer to Quayaquil airport. The Sailing Guide says essentially the same thing. You can see why I'm so confused because my TA is getting the information on it that you have.

If and when I learn anything further, I will post it here.

Wow- nothing I have read includes all the additional stuff. But I may be not looking in the right place. I will admit to being somewhat confused for sure. Is all that included in the Galapagos Air Package? Or is there another package that I have not even found?

Ah- under the Silver Sky Air Program I found this :"Silversea's standard air package is referred to as the Air/Sea Package and includes roundtrip Economy Class air. It is highly recommended that guests purchase the pre and post cruise Silver Shore Simply Hotel packages which include round trip group transfers between the airport and hotel. Guests opting to independently purchase hotel arrangements will be required to confirm their own transfer arrangements." Have no idea in the world if you can do your own rt international flights then add on the Simply Hotel packages.

Edited by 5waldos

It is in the SS website. this one is for Feb 1 excursion but i am sure all are alike. it is about half way down page

http://www.silversea.com/expeditions/destinations/plan-expedition/?voyage=8405&tab=fares

I see this and it certainly looks like there are no extras included. However, from the Expeditions page, click on Ships and then go to Silver Galapagos, you will see at the bottom of the page: Setting Sail Guide--Silver Galapagos.

Here is what it says:

Silver Galapagos Air Package includes:

Economy air from Quito to Galapagos and return to Quayaquil, plus the entrance and immigration fees (this we know);

Airport/hotel transfer in Quito and Guayaquil;

1 night pre-cruise hotel accommodation in Quito;

Use of hotel dayroom in Quayaquil (for those with flight departures after

6:00 pm.

Silversea really needs to hire an editer who will compare all of their assorted statements (on their website, in their catelog, etc etc) to make sure they read the same. Just found their online catalog which again includes the chocolate welcome and afternoon treats for all cabin categories- something that has been eliminated from their website. In some places it says that the Galapagos Air Package includes the visa and Galapagos fees, in other places it says it does not. It is all very confusing.

Edited by 5waldos

i think that is from the same site i quoted unless i am mistaken. My concern was a bit different than yours, as I will be flying from Cuzco Peru to Quito and then overnite there before flying on to Baltra. (this part is included in the SS Galapagos Air Pkg but the flight from Cuzco to Quito is handled differently. Sure hope all bases are covered!

" Silver Galapagos guests are strongly encouraged to purchase the Silversea Galapagos Air Package for an additional charge starting at $650 per person. The Silversea Galapagos Package conveniently includes flights to/from Quito/Baltra/Guayaquil with airport check-in assistance, the Galapagos National Park entrance fee and the Galapagos Immigration fee. These advance purchases are highly recommended to reduce any possible complications and simplify the complexities associated with travelling to the Galapagos."

my TA has been working with "George" from SS and we are also purchasing the SS air package and a precruise excursion to Machu Picchu. We fly from Cuzco to Quito, overnite in Quito, air to Baltra. on the return we fly from Baltra to Guayaquil then a day room and leave Guayaquil at 12:50 AM on American to Miami. I again asked the TA (who verified with 'George') that all accommodations, meet/great were included. Now fingers crossed that all goes well. The only thing we DON'T have with SS is air from hometown to Lima and from Guayaquil to home because SS doesn't have a flying pkg to the sml town we are from. I have asked several times about this to be sure all bases are covered. SS assures us when the 'Silver Box' arrives, all will be spelled out! (fingers crossed again]

here from the SS website"

"Galapagos Air Package: In addition to the cruise fare listed above, Silver Galapagos guests are strongly encouraged to purchase the Silversea Galapagos Air Package for an additional charge starting at $650 per person. The Silversea Galapagos Package conveniently includes flights to/from Quito/Baltra/Guayaquil with airport check-in assistance, the Galapagos National Park entrance fee and the Galapagos Immigration fee. These advance purchases are highly recommended to reduce any possible complications and simplify the complexities associated with travelling to the Galapagos."

I apologize, ppiew, I pretty much repeated what you wrote. Our understanding of the package seems to be the same.

Since a lot of you are asking about airfare. I pulled out seven pages of Silversea Silver box stuff. Keep in mind it only refers to someone who is using Silversea for air travel connections. I have no clue on getting there on my own. Will see how this works out this weekend, leaving to go on the Macho Piccho trip first.

Silver Galapagos Connection Doc2013.pdf

I see this and it certainly looks like there are no extras included. However, from the Expeditions page, click on Ships and then go to Silver Galapagos, you will see at the bottom of the page: Setting Sail Guide--Silver Galapagos.

Here is what it says:

Economy air from Quito to Galapagos and return to Quayaquil, plus the entrance and immigration fees (this we know);

That certainly seems to say that the hotel in included. But elsewhere it certainly says otherwise. As I noted above- they really need to do some editing.

Great! We r also doing Machu Picchu first. Anxious to hear your experiences. I just hope SS comes thru and directs us everywhere we have to go. We were told we do NOT need Visas - I hope this is true because I haven't applied for Visa's.

Edited by ppiew
correction

Here is what it says:

I am trying to get some clarification about this from Silversea. Especially since they now list Guayaquil as one of the places to take off from to Baltra- why wouldn't they offer an overnight room there? The is a pretty decent deal for $650- the price we thought we were paying for simply the airfare and the fees.

I still suspect they have confused themselves (SS) but perhaps I will get something definitive.

Great! We r also doing Machu Picchu first. Anxious to hear your experiences. I just hope SS comes thru and directs us everywhere we have to go. We were told we do NOT need Visas - I hope this is true because I haven't applied for Visa's.

Don't know where you are from, but US citizens do NOT need Visas for either Peru or Ecuador.

RachelG -- thanks re visas I too am an American Citizen so guess I am good to go!!

We will be having a 'day' room at Guayaquil on the return because our flight for Miami doesn't leave until near 1AM. This is included in the pkg say 'george' from SS and also our TA.