Just off Carnival Victory on 4/27 - good job by Carnival

njb3636

I just got off Carnival Victory today after a 4-night cruise and I can report nothing but good things. I've seen a lot of negative reviews about the ship, especially after the "dry dock", but my wife and myself have very few bad things to say. The ship definitely could use some updating in a few areas (new paint, rugs, etc.) but in no way did it make for a bad cruise.

We were on this ship last year as well and along with the new Sky Box Bar and Alchemy Bar we noticed that they put new wood floor in some areas by the pool, repainted the 2 lido deck pools (although not well), added the new Wifi Your Way program, got rid of the old TV's in the club and added some flat screens, and put new thermostats on the walls in some of the cabins. Menu's were the same as a year ago.

We did have a problem (as previously posted on here) in Cozumel where the ship lost power in port. Power went out at about 4pm and the Captain immediately made multiple announcements calling for Cruise Director and many others to report to the bridge as well as saying that they are investigating a major power failure. A few overhead lights were on but almost everything was out, we were told that elevators were down as well. Bars were still serving drinks except for frozen drinks since the blender didn't work. Security and mechanical crew were told to report to aft emergency generator which they started within 15 minutes. This generator supplies limited power to parts of the ship.

We didn't realize how widespread the power outage was until we went to our room and saw all fire doors closed (automatically close with no power), emergency lighting on, and our room pitch black! Also very minimal water pressure from sink and shower in room, and the toilet DID flush. AC system was also out in all cabins so it was slowly getting hot in our inside cabin. Power actually flashed on and off a few times......I'm assuming they were running tests.

Everyone's main complaint was that it took so long to get back on the ship. This was due to having to manually check each person in. Unfortunately, I would guess about 75% of the ship was off the boat when the power went off so that added to the long lines. Luckily we had gotten back on early.

Overall, the crew handled this well. The captain made announcements every 15-20 min (even though there wasn't much to say aside from that they were still working on it). They turned dinner into open seating until 10:00 in both dining rooms and they still had the buffet on lido at 11:00 after the deck party. Full power was restored around 10-10:30. Carnival Paradise stayed in port for a few hours extra to provide help if needed. We were told that some food from the Victory was brought to the Paradise so it wouldn't spoil. Not a bad experience at all.........didn't see anyone complaining either.

Hope this answers some questions that I've seen on here...........let me know if you have any more!!

My husband and I were on this sailing as well. We were amazed at how well the captain and crew handled the outage. There were announcements every half hour. We had a port side balcony and kept watching the line grow and grow. From what we could tell, the people in line handled the situation well. The Paradise crew brought out water. We ventured out to the port and were back on board when the outage happened.

• 2 weeks later...