Ruby Princess 7/17

billiardtables

When you get to your cabin on the first day, you'll find the Patter (the ship's newsletter) which will give you a rundown of MDR dress codes for each dinner during your cruise. 7-day cruises will have two formal nights. For formal nights, I've found that women tend to wear anything from LBD, cocktail dresses, elegant pant suits on up to glitzy gowns. Usually for men, tuxes, suits, but some men will come in dress shirt (long sleeves) and a tie and get in -- it depends on the maitre-d for that dining room.

The specialty restaurants (the ones with a cover charge) are always smart casual, but some people who are celebrating an occasion may dress up more than that.

You'll find a really wide range in the Horizon Court (the buffet) at night -- anything from shorts to nice clothes (could be that some are getting a quick bite to tide them over or stopping by after a show for a dessert).

We were on the Ruby last week. Traveled with my extended family a total of 9 of us. None of us dressed up on formal night. We looked very nice, button down shirt for the men, my husband did not wear a tie, I wore slacks and a sort of nice cardigan type of thing. There were all sorts of people dressed at every "level" you could imagine. I heard the lady working at the door of the restaurant tell people on their way out the night before, no shorts, jeans, t-shirts or hats/caps. That was all she said. I remember years ago we used to like to get all dressed up and do pictures and such, the more we have cruised the less interested we are. So, you can truly decide how you want to dress, you won't feel awkward regardless of what you choose because there will be lots of people dressing similar to anything you choose.

• 3 weeks later...
At the airport waiting to board for flight to Seattle. Looks like good weather tomorrow. Think we will start with bites of Seattle festival at Seattle center.

Have a great cruise. Was on the Ruby in May to Alaska and had a great time!, going again in Sept, and another cruise on her already booked after that for 10 days to Mexico !

We were on the Ruby last week. Traveled with my extended family a total of 9 of us. None of us dressed up on formal night. We looked very nice, button down shirt for the men, my husband did not wear a tie, I wore slacks and a sort of nice cardigan type of thing. There were all sorts of people dressed at every "level" you could imagine. I heard the lady working at the door of the restaurant tell people on their way out the night before, no shorts, jeans, t-shirts or hats/caps. That was all she said. I remember years ago we used to like to get all dressed up and do pictures and such, the more we have cruised the less interested we are. So, you can truly decide how you want to dress, you won't feel awkward regardless of what you choose because there will be lots of people dressing similar to anything you choose.

I was on the Ruby a couple of weeks ago in June, and agree completely your observations on how passengers dressed.