Help witH BDM Sydney and Apostille

JanDom

Hello,

we will go to Sydney in the beginning of May and will get married at the 8th of May there.

We know that we have to go to the BDM after that to get a copy of our Marriage certificate and go to Lee Street to get an Apostille stamp.

Because we will get married on Sunday and we will leave for a south pacific cruise at the 9th of May we thougt of going to the BDM in the morning of the 9th of may.

We have to be at the airport to return our car at noon to go to the harbour.

Can anybody help with our questions :

- where is the best place to park the rental car to go to the BDM and to Lee street (we don't mind some walking) ?

- how long will we have to wait at the BDM ?

- We will also be in Sydney from the 19th until the 21st of may. We will stay near central then so it won't be a long way to the BDM.

Will it be easier to go there then, without a car and without a time we have to be somewhere ?

We are planning to go the blue mountains on the 20th so it won't be possible for us to pick the Apostille up at this day - will they send it to us to Germany ?

I know many questions :confused:

Thank you so much for helping and greets from Germany

Janine

The locals may have a better perspective on this. But to be honest, I think you will find that still having the car on the 9th is the thing that will make it very difficult. On the assumption that you are staying in central Sydney on the night of the 8th, I would get rid of the car that day (or before), and do the central Sydney stuff on the 9th by taxis or public transport. That saves you a time-consuming journey to the airport and back again, just to return a car that you don't really need that day (which is going to be a time-critical day anyway).

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

We can't return the car earlier, because we won't stay in Syndey the nights before. So we have to drive to Sydney and need the car to get there.

Is there a parking spot maybe one or two busstops away ?

Otherwise we can do the paperwork on the 19th if this will be easier ?

Thank you

Janine

We can't return the car earlier, because we won't stay in Syndey the nights before. So we have to drive to Sydney and need the car to get there.
In your earlier post, you said you're getting married in Sydney on 8 May.

Where are you actually going to be for the nights before the day that your cruise sails?

We will arrive in Asutralia at the 6th of May.

Then hire a car and go to our rental apartment north of Manly and stay there until the 9th of may.

For our wedding on the 8th of may we will go into the city by ferry from Manly and our celebrant will pick us up at the quay.

On the 9th of may we have to return the car at noon at the airport to go from there to the pier (transfer by P&O).

We will then be back from our cruise at the 19th of may and will have an apartment near central until the 21st when we have to leave to go back home. At that time we will go there by taxi from the pier and won't have a car and will use buses and trains.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Sometimes it is hard to write your german thoughts in english language without getting others confused :)

Thank you

I'm not sure if the BDM has a booking system, but it might be worthwhile contacting them and asking if you can make a booking for the day after your cruise returns to collect your documents then. Same with the people who need to do the stamp.

Lee St is only a very short walk from central station so you won't need to worry about transport. If you do want to go on the 9th the closest parking station is Wilson Parking at Quay St. It will be a 5 minute walk from there.

I have no idea how long these things can take at the BDM, but I think I'd be trying to get it done when your cruise returns and you have a few days, rather than trying to rush it all before. You do run the risk though of not getting it done before you have to leave the country.

ETA - I've just done a quick search of the BDM website, and it takes 10 working days for them to arrange the certificate AFTER it's been sent in by the celebrant. it doesn't appear that there is a priority service for newly-wed certificates. I suggest you contact them to see if they will post it to you in Germany. If not, do you have any contacts in Australia that it could be sent to and forwarded on to you?

Edited by MadWoofter

Lee st is a vert short street with not many parking spots but i can see your logic in going to the bdm office on the way to the airport.

Trying to drive in Sydney during morning rush (on the wrong side of the road) is not pleasant. I would strongly suggest against this idea.

The BDM is a government office so everything will take a long time.

Suggest you contact them for a booking after your cruise and also ask if they can post the certificate to you in Germany.

Lee st is a vert short street with not many parking spots but i can see your logic in going to the bdm office on the way to the airport.

Trying to drive in Sydney during morning rush (on the wrong side of the road) is not pleasant. I would strongly suggest against this idea.

The BDM is a government office so everything will take a long time.

Suggest you contact them for a booking after your cruise and also ask if they can post the certificate to you in Germany.

Thank you.

We will arrive back in Sydney at the 19th in the early morning.

So maybe we can store our luggage until 10am at central and go there at 8am to get the copy only with our handluggage. And after that go to Lee Str. They can post it I think.

Driving on the "wrong" side will be a little bit challenging but I hope I will do it ;)

Greets

Janine

It sounds from what others have said that doing this on Monday 9 May probably won't work for you anyway.

But in case it remains a possibility, and if you really can't return the car any earlier than Monday, one other thought that I had was to return the car to an in-town location rather than taking it all the way out to the airport. For example, IIRC Hertz has a location on William Street, near Kings Cross. In the past, I have rented the other way round: picking up at William Street but returning to the airport (which was partly to avoid the airport surcharge). So there's no reason why it shouldn't work the other way round.