Advice on my Alaska cruise excursions

alpine240

Hi Everyone!

I have read through a lot of topics on here and got some great info. For piece of mind I wanted to share my plans and see what you might suggest.

Juneau:

we decided to rent a car and explore on our own to Mendenhall, etc.

is there something we are missing out on that we cannot do on our own with our rental car..that is best experienced via an excursion?

Skagway:

we are doing the Chillkoot Tours. Rail, bus and dog sled experience.

Based on what I read here, it looks like this is a reputable independent company. Do i have any worries using this company?

Ketchikan:

we decided to use Dave and Kats Taxi cab tour. They take us to all the viewing spots in their cabs. seems to have gotten good reviews on tripadvisor

based on what we have planned above....any advise or other suggestions?

I appreciate everyone's feedback!

thank you!

Hi Everyone!

I have read through a lot of topics on here and got some great info. For piece of mind I wanted to share my plans and see what you might suggest.

Juneau:

is there something we are missing out on that we cannot do on our own with our rental car..that is best experienced via an excursion?

Skagway:

Based on what I read here, it looks like this is a reputable independent company. Do i have any worries using this company?

Ketchikan:

we decided to use Dave and Kats Taxi cab tour. They take us to all the viewing spots in their cabs. seems to have gotten good reviews on tripadvisor

thank you!

I'll assumed these were well thought out choices for you??? Kind of a redundant about "best experienced tour" re Juneau? Of course there are numerous "tours" that are considered "best". :) and need "tours". You have a list of areas you want to include on your route??

Chilkoot Charters is a well run, long standing company, with a good business history.

One point I will make- verify you want to go to the areas, in Ketchikan, (I'd be certain to have a list of the route areas and where you are going). It is also simple to get to them easily with a rental car as well. No tour is going to be an "all" and there are numerous hidden gems out of Ketchikan.

You appear to have definite plans on what you want to see & do in each port.

I would suggest be flexible according to your port times.

Juneau you have plenty of time to explore the area with a rental car, do not limit yourself to one event. Have you considered whale-watching ? Or Alaska brewing or just spending time downtown ?

In Ketchikan we used used Dave & Kat for the taxi experience just over 3 hours. Dave's local knowledge was a real asset & we were able to view much wildlife. This also left us enough time to explore the town & have a great meal of Halibut & chips at the local restaurant. The walks were easy & were back to the ship in plenty of time to shower & enjoy "Happy Hour" before dinner.

Happy Travels John

Hi Everyone!

Juneau:

Skagway:

Ketchikan:

thank you!

We used Dave and Kat for our taxi tour in Ketchikan and it was great, also not expensive.

Renting a car in Juneau just to go to Mendenhall may be a waste. I think there is a bus that goes there. Also, we went whale watching, which you can't do from a rental car.

We did a ship's excursion in Skagway, it was the White Pass rail, with 6 mile hike through Denver Valley rain forrest. It was great, but we needed Aleve and wine after.

Also, we went whale watching, which you can't do from a rental car.

Yes, you most certainly can- I had about 4 hours of spectacular viewing this season, of a lot of surface activity of a humpback between St. Theresa's and Eagle beach at several pull offs. Humpback stayed right along the shoreline, incredible viewing. And not the first time, I have seen humpbacks with driving.

Yes, you most certainly can- I had about 4 hours of spectacular viewing this season, of a lot of surface activity of a humpback between St. Theresa's and Eagle beach at several pull offs. Humpback stayed right along the shoreline, incredible viewing. And not the first time, I have seen humpbacks with driving.

Perhaps you can, if you know where to look for the whales. Our whale watching boat from Juneau took us some distance from any developed areas. We saw plenty of whales up close, buy anyone on the mainland would not have been able to see anything.

Perhaps you can, if you know where to look for the whales. Our whale watching boat from Juneau took us some distance from any developed areas. We saw plenty of whales up close, buy anyone on the mainland would not have been able to see anything.

It is also possible to use your rental car to drive directly to the vendor's dock for a whale watch tour, rather than backtracking to town to be picked up.

It is also possible to use your rental car to drive directly to the vendor's dock for a whale watch tour, rather than backtracking to town to be picked up.

Yes, but you still have to pay for the whale watching.

We used Dave and Kat for our taxi tour in Ketchikan and it was great, also not expensive.

Renting a car in Juneau just to go to Mendenhall may be a waste. I think there is a bus that goes there. Also, we went whale watching, which you can't do from a rental car.

We did a ship's excursion in Skagway, it was the White Pass rail, with 6 mile hike through Denver Valley rain forrest. It was great, but we needed Aleve and wine after.

So. A 6 mile hike? Was it a hard hike and what did you see? Just wondering, not big hikers but would like to do something different, also wondering what kind of shoes to bring? Thanks!

Juneau - on way to/from Mendenhall consider stops at Glacier Gardens (on tours but if you are between you'll have place to self), DIPAC (Douglas Is. Pink and Chum) salmon hatchery and as mentioned Alaska Brewing. All on (or just off) same road.

Hi Everyone!

Juneau:

Skagway:

Ketchikan:

thank you!

You asked for everyone's feedback, but is that really what you want? I would not do any of your suggested excursions because we have no interest in any of the things that you want to do. That doesn't mean that they are not great excursions, just that we would not do those particular things.

You asked for everyone's feedback, but is that really what you want? I would not do any of your suggested excursions because we have no interest in any of the things that you want to do. That doesn't mean that they are not great excursions, just that we would not do those particular things.

Hi,

not sure I understand your point. Yes, I would like feedback. Maybe someone will suggest something I did not know about and then I start my research to see if it might be something I would be interested in.

Or someone might chime in on something I have planned that makes me rethink my options.

so, you wouldnt do any of my excursions? I would like to know why? It will give me better perspective on things. after all, it is my first Alaska cruise and any input is appreciated.

In particular, I would like to know why you wouldnt do the rail/bus tour at Skagway. Please let me know because everything I have read on this board is that the train/bus tour is a great option in Skagway. If not for you, could you let me know what you would do in Skagway so I can research and choose?

Thank you!

Hi,

not sure I understand your point. Yes, I would like feedback. Maybe someone will suggest something I did not know about and then I start my research to see if it might be something I would be interested in.

Or someone might chime in on something I have planned that makes me rethink my options.

so, you wouldnt do any of my excursions? I would like to know why? It will give me better perspective on things. after all, it is my first Alaska cruise and any input is appreciated.

In particular, I would like to know why you wouldnt do the rail/bus tour at Skagway. Please let me know because everything I have read on this board is that the train/bus tour is a great option in Skagway. If not for you, could you let me know what you would do in Skagway so I can research and choose?

Thank you!

There are a LOT Of people who do not want to consider any bus/train tours. Various reasons- but basic, they aren't interested. Alternatives range from not getting out of the port area- shopping (won't spend any "money" on tours), to those who prefer a rental car- which also is an excellent option. Some spend their day flying or on boat tours, other's hike the Dewey Lakes, others will head to Haines.

Clearly stated by zqvol, doesn't mean the tours aren't worthwhile.

I caution over and over, NOT to get attached to the glowing raves of posters about their tours, especially the infrequent Alaska travelers. Alaska is such a fantastic place that it's easy to think, "you" got the "best" tour ever with your choice, then claim so, when you haven't done any others. Numerous Alaska tours fit this "best" category. :) I always suggest, keeping an open mind on tours and take a look at all of them and don't get drawn into tours, because so many people claim "you" have to do it. Figure out, for yourself, what YOUR interests are and what YOU want out of your Alaska trip.

Have a wonderful time.

There are a LOT Of people who do not want to consider any bus/train tours. Various reasons- but basic, they aren't interested. Alternatives range from not getting out of the port area- shopping (won't spend any "money" on tours), to those who prefer a rental car- which also is an excellent option. Some spend their day flying or on boat tours, other's hike the Dewey Lakes, others will head to Haines.

Clearly stated by zqvol, doesn't mean the tours aren't worthwhile.

I caution over and over, NOT to get attached to the glowing raves of posters about their tours, especially the infrequent Alaska travelers. Alaska is such a fantastic place that it's easy to think, "you" got the "best" tour ever with your choice, then claim so, when you haven't done any others. Numerous Alaska tours fit this "best" category. :) I always suggest, keeping an open mind on tours and take a look at all of them and don't get drawn into tours, because so many people claim "you" have to do it. Figure out, for yourself, what YOUR interests are and what YOU want out of your Alaska trip.

Have a wonderful time.

I see your point but at the same time how does one get good information unless we ask? :)

hmm, let me rephrase my original question... I am visiting Alaska and I would like to see the natural beauty of each city. I do not care for whale watching, museums, activities/tours like the deadliest catch boat thing, etc. I just want to be able to see the natural beauty of Alaska.

maybe the use of the words "tours" and "excursion" are not what I should use? I just wanted to best/easiest/convenient/budget friendly to see nature at its best there.

so for Junaeu I researched and saw that we can drive around pretty easily to a lot of places..like Mendenhall..places to do short hikes, salmon hatcheries, etc

for Skagway, it appears that the bus/train thing was the best option to see nature there. Was thinking about car rental, but though the 2 young kids would love the train ride as well.

for Ketchikan: same idea with the taxi cab tour...as far as being able to just visit various spots around there for its natural beauty..maybe see animal life, lakes, etc Due to the short time our stay here, figured a dedicated tour guide would be the best way to see the most in our limited time docked there.

thank you all again! let me tell ya...its stressful trying to plan a cruise for 8 people! :)

Edited by alpine240

I see your point but at the same time how does one get good information unless we ask? :)

hmm, let me rephrase my original question... I am visiting Alaska and I would like to see the natural beauty of each city. I do not care for whale watching, museums, activities/tours like the deadliest catch boat thing, etc. I just want to be able to see the natural beauty of Alaska.

maybe the use of the words "tours" and "excursion" are not what I should use? I just wanted to best/easiest/convenient/budget friendly to see nature at its best there.

If you want to see the natural beauty of Alaska, you need to get out of the cities!

so for Junaeu I researched and saw that we can drive around pretty easily to a lot of places..like Mendenhall..places to do short hikes, salmon hatcheries, etc

for Skagway, it appears that the bus/train thing was the best option to see nature there. Was thinking about car rental, but though the 2 young kids would love the train ride as well.

for Ketchikan: same idea with the taxi cab tour...as far as being able to just visit various spots around there for its natural beauty..maybe see animal life, lakes, etc Due to the short time our stay here, figured a dedicated tour guide would be the best way to see the most in our limited time docked there.

thank you all again! let me tell ya...its stressful trying to plan a cruise for 8 people! :)

Your original post did not mention 2 young children or that you are planning for a total of 8 people. Those things can factor in greatly!! How young are the children? A 7-8 hour train/bus tour may be too long for little ones, who may get bored and cranky and disturb others on the tour. Also, a group of 8 may not all want to do the same things. Have you consulted the other adults in your group? What are their touring priorities? You don't all have to stick together. It may be better to split up during the day, and share your experiences over dinner each night.

Your original post did not mention 2 young children or that you are planning for a total of 8 people. Those things can factor in greatly!! How young are the children? A 7-8 hour train/bus tour may be too long for little ones, who may get bored and cranky and disturb others on the tour. Also, a group of 8 may not all want to do the same things. Have you consulted the other adults in your group? What are their touring priorities? You don't all have to stick together. It may be better to split up during the day, and share your experiences over dinner each night.

Hi!

our kids will be 5 and 7. Not worried about them as they are pretty good about long drives..they love to hike, etc

the rest of our group consists of my parents and my brother and his gf.

We are all on the same page and want to do everything together.

Honestly it can be very daunting to read through all the trip reports. Lots of things sound good and this being our first trip, we want to focus just on the scenery and nature. We all decided not to do anything with flight tours, whale watching tours, museums.

:D

It is stressful just to plan activities for one person! lol

I'm pretty much on the same page as you as far as wanting to see natural beauty. I am also disabled, which would rule out flightseeing even if our budget didn't. Travelling with DH, our 2 adult children, and BIL and disabled SIL. Talk about challenges!

For Juneau, I am thinking a relaxed day just doing the tram and visiting the various attractions at the top (gardens, a raptor center, don't remember what all else). SIL and I need to conserve our energy for the next day, Skagway

For Skagway, the railroad is the must-do for me. Everything I've seen or read about it sounds like Nature at its best. It sounds like you are experienced at travelling with your young children, so I'm sure you already know to bring along entertainment for them. But the only "refreshment" on the 3-1/2 hour train trip is bottled water. I take disposables and a small cooler along on cruises and plan to bring along some tidbits from the ship as nibbles, as well as something to drink.

I haven't looked much at Ketchikan or Victoria yet but Misty Fjords also sounds like a gorgeous display of nature.

But the only "refreshment" on the 3-1/2 hour train trip is bottled water. I take disposables and a small cooler along on cruises and plan to bring along some tidbits from the ship as nibbles, as well as something to drink.

If you bring any "tidbits from the ship" be sure they are only pre-packaged tidbits. Anything else is not allowed.

So. A 6 mile hike? Was it a hard hike and what did you see? Just wondering, not big hikers but would like to do something different, also wondering what kind of shoes to bring? Thanks!

I have some large waterproof hiking boots, but didn't take them for the one hiking event due to space in suitcase.

We wore athletic shoes, which worked out fine, since it wasn't raining on the hike.

The hike was in the Denver Valley and into a rain forrest. The hike was strenuous since the path was ill-defined at times, with roots, rocks and mud. The guides gave us the option of going an extra two miles and we could have settled for four miles.

We did go up modest hills, but not so much. Still, it was more difficult than walking six miles on a city street or sidewalk.

DW and I are pushing seventy, but active, so we managed pretty well, keeping up with the younger people.

Hi!

our kids will be 5 and 7. Not worried about them as they are pretty good about long drives..they love to hike, etc

the rest of our group consists of my parents and my brother and his gf.

We are all on the same page and want to do everything together.

Honestly it can be very daunting to read through all the trip reports. Lots of things sound good and this being our first trip, we want to focus just on the scenery and nature. We all decided not to do anything with flight tours, whale watching tours, museums.

:D

Although "daunting" it's necessary if you want to know what you are looking at with your planning. The details are essential. You can't expect to get much information from a message board post. IF you need someone to do this for you and weed through things, try to find an Alaska expert travel agent.

Otherwise- your "nature and scenery" really tells nothing - it applies to your entire cruise. :) I'd suggest looking at car rentals in each port, plenty to see and do in each area that could offer very economical touring for a group.