Butterfly Bill

Hi

My wife and I are first time cruising on P &O Arcadia from Chile to Sydney in an EF grade balcony cabin starting in Feb 2016 for 3 weeks.

Any tips/help/comments would be appreciated ie port or starboard side for the sun etc etc. Thanks Bill.

Welcome to the cruising world. There is a forum on Cruise Critic that is specifically for the P&o cruise line. You can read posts there and can also ask your P&O questions there.

Edited by NMLady

Congratulations on your forthcoming first cruise.

I think that you both need to be prepared for possible high seas, so I recommend you buy something for motion sickness OTC such as Meclazine but also talk to your doctor about Trans Derm Scops which are by prescription only and see if you can have these.

The sun will be on both the port and starboard side of the ship depending on time and day and the direction in which you are sailing at the time. Having a balcony is great. When you get your luggage onboard, unpack everything and put your empty suitcases under the bed.

It is always nice to bring along a pair of binoculars when on a cruise to look at passing ships, islands, land masses and even people on the pier.

Try very hard not to overpack and make use of the ships laundry instead.

If I were your wife, I'd make sure to take advantage of that hydrotherapy pool and sauna and steam room in the spa!

Hope you have a marvelous time!

Welcome, Bill.

Arcadia is a much loved adult only ship, which sails on long voyages during winter months- your section sounds an interesting part. The ship is the same design as the two smaller Cunard ships, Victoria and Elizabeth.

Take some washing powder tablets, because three weeks is a lot to pack for when you're flying ...there are free launderettes on board, but you either provide or buy washing powder.

Ask your health centre if you need any precautionary jabs, as they will have your medical records and up to date requirements for the area. They're usually free... our medics advise more if we're going to do much swimming, such as Hep and typhoid.

Ask either at the health centre or the pharmacist about seasickness ...I've never been troubled, but my OH can sometimes feel a little queasy...he uses Stugeron or Kwells.

There is a strong dress code on P&O ships, but the buffet is pleasant for a meal if you need a night off...;)

Have a wonderful time. :)