Ports of call in Norway and Island

Has anyone cruised lately to Norway and Island? Please recommend the "must do" things in ports of Norway and Island.

Our sailing dates are in early August and these are the ports:

Bergen, Olden, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Aalesund,

Akureyri, Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland,

Belfast, Northern Ireland

In which of these ports I need to take a ship excursion and in which poer I can be comfortable doing things on my own.

We thank in advance everyone who responded to my message.

Sounds like you're doing the same cruise we are.

I'd recommend getting a couple good travel books on Norway, Iceland & Ireland, or at the very least, Wikipedia'ing them or Googling something like "Visit Alesund". In many cases, it's brought up their local tourist bureau, and I was able to either download PDF files with town maps or have printed copies sent to our house. VERY helpful - lists hours of operation for major attractions and prices, gives locations for the cruise ship docks...etc. etc.

• 4 years later...
Has anyone cruised lately to Norway and Island? Please recommend the "must do" things in ports of Norway and Island.

Our sailing dates are in early August and these are the ports:

Bergen, Olden, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Aalesund,

Akureyri, Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland,

Belfast, Northern Ireland

In which of these ports I need to take a ship excursion and in which poer I can be comfortable doing things on my own.

We thank in advance everyone who responded to my message.

We just returned from a 13 day cruise to Iceland and Norway on the Adventure of the Seas.

We visited some of the places you mention, so this is what I would consider the must-see things in those ports.

Alesund: Go to the viewpoint on Mt. Aksla above the town for spectacular views. Also visit the Sunnmore Museum which is mostly outdoors and shows the types of houses people lived in there. It also has a museum of Viking ships. After that, just take some time to walk around the town. It is extremely beautiful!

Olden was our favorite port. It is a tiny town at the end of a beautiful fjord. We just walked around and enjoyed the spectacular scenic beauty.

In Reykjavik, I would say be sure to see Halgrimms Church and the Sun Voyager sculpture at the harbor in downtown Reykjavik.

In Akureyri, take a tour if you can and go see the Laufas Farm which shows the interesting buildings with sod roofs and then go to the famous Godafoss Waterfall. Akureyri is beautiful!

Archived