Black DJ with Black shirt. Is this OK on QE2

victor meld

I attend formal functions in the UK and I wear a Black Tux with Black shirt and Black bow tie. Is this OK on QE2 formal nights. Not keen on the white tux. A bit to Twee

Have I ever seen it on the QE2? No. Is it unusal? Yes. Is it formal by tradition? No. Will you be thrown out? No.

Whats wrong with a white shirt?

Have I ever seen it on the QE2? No. Is it unusual? Yes. Is it formal by tradition? No. Will you be thrown out? No.

Whats wrong with a white shirt?

My thoughts exactly!

Not keen on the white tux

Good - Black DJ's are fine:)

I attend formal functions in the UK and I wear a Black Tux with Black shirt and Black bow tie. Is this OK on QE2 formal nights. Not keen on the white tux. A bit to Twee

I think it sounds pretty cool, although I'm noted more for sartorial digression than elegance. But I appreciate others' appearance.

Of course it's OK. You don't need the approval of anyone to wear what you feel good in on QE2 (or anywhere else). Go for it.icon7.gif

I think it sounds pretty cool, although I'm noted more for sartorial digression than elegance. But I appreciate others' appearance.

Of course it's OK. You don't need the approval of anyone to wear what you feel good in on QE2 (or anywhere else). Go for it.icon7.gif

But do you want to stand out? Because you will.

I'm with Carlmm.

Great look and perfectly fine. I have done it (I do black tie on black shirt with the tux instead of the bow tie) on QE2 without a ripple; when I did it on Queen Mary 2, some unknowing guests thought I was a bouncer in the G32 Club... I was standing at the entrance chatting with another member of my party who was also dressed all in black and this unkowing young couple asked if they could enter. It was such a great laugh. Go for it!

PS... Maybe it was because my friend whom I was talking with looks like Al Pacino?????

Just called Tony Saprano and he said in his circles the Black w/ the black is just fine.

I thought that Tony Soprano a favored white shirt and a bib (two, for a formal whacking). But then, I may not be as close to him as you are. Lucky me.

Thanks for all the replies.

You will never see me in Jeans on holiday!!!!!!!.

I like to wear a Black shirt. The bow tie has a delicate white piping round the edge. The reason? We attend lots of ballroom formal functions and when the eating is over and we get down to dancing I remove my jacket as by now it will be very warm and uncomfortable to dance in. I find the white shirt with a black bow tie without the jacket looks a bit like a waiter. No disrespect to waiters but I can not fetch your drinks and dance as well. And as I intend to dance after dinner I would like to wear my Black shirt> I could wear my white dress shirt and remove my bow tie while dancing but I have never set foot on a dance floor without wearing a tie other than fancy dress nights.

You will never see me in Jeans on holiday!!!!!!!

Thank goodness for that! Karie has a lot to answer for, next she'll be bringing up the "S" word:D

QE2 is a dressy ship. Black with black and white piping on black is not that usual. I think that most people will wear a black DJ with a white shirt, but you can get away with just about anything that could be classed as formal. Most men don't take their jacket off after dinner (although some do). The a/c is normally fairly efficient so I wouldn't be too bothered about getting over heated. All stewards wear a Cunard uniform so there's no danger of being mistaken for one.

Will you be pairing the Black jacket and black shirt with jeans?

<EG>, Evil cackle tails off into the distance as she runs down the hall.

Anon

Well, I was going for the jeans and ratting cap ensemble. But I now realise the limitations. I must say that, for me, black shirts have previously been synonymous with one Oswald. Again, my horizons have expanded and there's a certain appeal to jeans (with the 'now' slouch baggy boyfriend look), converse trainers and black shirt with black bow tie (white piped of course), brought together by the little black Moschino jacket.

Sorry Karie, but the ratting cap's days always were numbered!:) :)

Damn~

I've been outted!

And KC, Marc has ties and cumberbunds to match most of my gowns, (Inlcuding one rainforest ensemble- his, not mine)

While he can do magic in some ways, (We won't talk about that here) he does not pull rabbits out of hats or saw women in half.

Karie,

Who knows magic when she feels it!

I've never thought of the QE2 as that dressy:confused:

Malcolm, I agree. QE2 is dressy in a classy way, but not so dressy, not overdone, and certainly not intimidating. All the talk about QE2 as a very dressy ship contributes to an amusing mythology that exists in the heads of some passengers and arguably discourages many from booking this grand ship. I have found this to be my experience, and most of my voyages have been in PG & QG. My humble opinion only.

Bobby,

who wears a black tie on black shirt with Tux on occasion (with a nod to Karie who always uses her signature relative clause magically!)

Just back from a lengthy summer break in Biarritz (in time for the hunting season) and, good heavens, you lot are still at it. Even the ubiquitous 'Travel to Go' has still not gone! Oh well, "chacun a son gout" as they say in New Delhi. Back to the question, would someone look out of place dressed head to foot in black? Well, not if you were a funeral director or, as Mr Anteeta infers, a throwback to Sir Oswald Mosley's 'Blackshirts'. Incidentally, the mother of my hunting friend, Jonquil Carruthers, knew Mosley quite well in her younger days, although she was not invited to Sir Oswald's wedding when Hitler was a special guest. I must advise the gentleman who posed the question, Victor Meldrew, that, in general terms, the all-black outfit for formal occasions is regarded as rather infra-dig and has never been seen at our Hunt Ball. Nevertheless, standards on the Q.E.2. are less exacting so it wouldn't occasion a second glance. As someone mentioned, we have already witnessed ratting caps, jeans, and string vests so, compared to these, my dear Mr Meldrew, you would look positively sartorial.

Thank Penny for advice.

Every forum has one.

This will be our first cruise and we picked the QE2 as this is a very formal ship and my wife has lots of new evening gowns she needs to wear.

It has been her sole topic of convesation for 4 months. Also we see the QE2 has a large dance floor that we hope to use.

Kind regards Graham

This will be our first cruise and we picked the QE2 as this is a very formal ship and my wife has lots of new evening gowns she needs to wear.

Graham - you've picked the right ship if you want dressy - she's about as formal st you can get on a commercial ship. Even the informal nights are fairly dressy, as for casual - you wouldn't know they were any different from informal (jacket and tie). Your wife will be fine in her most formal gowns on for formal nights, some of the ladies will still wear a long dress on an informal night.

Graham...what a wonderful choice for your first cruise. I dare say your wife will get her full quotient of evening gown attire!! I can understand her excitement....I have been boring everyone I know, including my poor husband, for the past 9 months about our up-coming QM2 cruise in Dec!! Actually he's threatening to move out if one more gown arrives in the house!! ;) Tell her to stop by our QM2 Roll Call for Dec 2nd (look for it on the main forum page under "Roll calls--all other cruise lines...or something like that) if she wants to chat with some other cruise clothing obsessed people! We have a great group and the wardroe is a frequent topic! She's welcome to join in...we have several "honorary" cruisers who visit regularly.

You'll find plenty of helpful people on here so just ask anything and someone is bound to help out. Cheers, Penny

Archived