transfer from Civitavecchia Port to FCO

windy sails

We will be arriving in Civitavecchia on the Ocean Princess on Sept 27th and have a 10 am flight out of FCO. What is the best and fastest way to get off the ship and to the airport? Princess will not offer any transfers for flights before 11 am. Any info would be appreciated.

You probably realize that a 10:00 am flight is cutting it very close. You really should plan to be at FCO not less than 2.5 hours before your flight (or more ideally 3 hours) if you are on a flight back to the US. This is because of the extra security involved.

So you want to be at FCO between 7:00 and 7:30. That means being on your way to the airport in a private transfer by 6:15 am. Is that doable? Maybe.

You definitely want to arrange a pickup with one of the trusted services that are frequently recommended on these boards. (I can't recommend one because I haven't used them, but this topic comes up VERY frequently, so a little reading down the board should give you at least a couple of options.)

As cruisemom42 says, this is CRAZY tight. You didn't say when you are scheduled to dock, but even an early docking doesn't mean you get off 5 minutes later. There is a reason Princess won't provide transfers for that flight- they don't want responsibility for you missing your flight. I would be looking for at least an hour later flight. You are in serious danger of missing this flight, particularly if it is a direct flight to the US.

As mentioned, for transportation,there are many private venders (like the excellent Rome in Limo) and even standard taxis mentioned just down the board.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Another reason to be booked on a later flight: Some airline counters at FCO do not even open until at least 8am. After checking in there, you have a couple more stages to go through before being ready to board. It all takes time.

Definitely private transfer......we used Rome in limo and have been pleased. At least you are on a small ship so can get off quickly. FCO is often a total zoo with long, slow check in lines, just to be aware. Good luck.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Our ship Celebrity will arrive at Rome on November 1 of this year at 5 am. We're looking for affordable flights out Rome back to USA. And most of the flights we can find that is affordable are the ones that leaves at 10 am or 10:50 am. Can we make it to our flight if we don't use a taxi or private car to take us to airport?

Can someone recommend a taxi company or private car companies that we can use? This is our first cruise and first time in Europe. I hope we can find taxi or private car companies where we can reserve online in advance.

Our agent says she will find out if they can give us an express checkout? But we have to handle our own luggage and we might not have a smooth departure.

Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :o

Our ship Celebrity will arrive at Rome on November 1 of this year at 5 am. We're looking for affordable flights out Rome back to USA. And most of the flights we can find that is affordable are the ones that leaves at 10 am or 10:50 am. Can we make it to our flight if we don't use a taxi or private car to take us to airport?

Can someone recommend a taxi company or private car companies that we can use? This is our first cruise and first time in Europe. I hope we can find taxi or private car companies where we can reserve online in advance.

Our agent says she will find out if they can give us an express checkout? But we have to handle our own luggage and we might not have a smooth departure.

First, docking at 5am doesn't mean getting off at 5:05. We docked last time at 4:45, no one got off before 7:15.

Second, read back up the thread, and down the Italy board. There are MANY recommendations for transportation.

Why not enjoy Rome, and fly out the next morning on the early flight? Do like we did- take a full day tour with Rome in Limo, end up at the Airport Hilton, which is in the airport, and fly home the next day.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We will be arriving in Civitavecchia on the Ocean Princess on Sept 27th and have a 10 am flight out of FCO. What is the best and fastest way to get off the ship and to the airport? Princess will not offer any transfers for flights before 11 am. Any info would be appreciated.

The train will take to long because of the transfer.

However, You can locate several transfer companies online with cost typically between 60 & 85 Euro's.

They will be on stand-by per your direction, Important for you to have the driver's mobile number.

Civitavecchia to FCO is a 45 min to 1 hour drive, pending traffic.

It will be necessary for you to check-in with airline 24 hours before flight departure.

You should perform the airline check-in the night before disembarkation on the ship.

Remember failure to check-in 2-hours prior to international flight departures may cause loss of your seat.

On International flights, airlines will have a second check-in requirement at the boarding gate, this will be your dilemma.

READ YOUR AIRLINE PASSENGER CONTRACT.

The Drive via A12/E80 · 62.9 km = nearly 40 miles.

This route is the quickest route but has tolls and will slow your drive pending traffic.

Edited by coolplex

However, You can locate several transfer companies online with cost typically between 60 & 85 Euro's.

They will be on stand-by per your direction, Important for you to have the driver's mobile number.

It will be necessary for you to check-in with airline 24 hours before flight departure.

You should perform the airline check-in the night before disembarkation on the ship.

Remember failure to check-in 2-hours prior to international flight departures may cause loss of your seat.

On International flights, airlines will have a second check-in requirement at the boarding gate.

This route is the quickest route but has tolls and will slow your drive pending traffic.

Special note: Princess has a walk-off service at disembarkation, you must not place your luggage outside the night before. You must keep your luggage with you during the walk-off to allow direct access to customs, once outside the port security gate, signs will direct you to the public transfer area.

Make sure your transfer arrangement do not have other pick-ups scheduled with other passengers, very common for companies to get as much business as possible and could cause you to miss your check-in requirements. GOOD LUCK!

Edited by coolplex

First, docking at 5am doesn't mean getting off at 5:05. We docked last time at 4:45, no one got off before 7:15.

Second, read back up the thread, and down the Italy board. There are MANY recommendations for transportation.

Why not enjoy Rome, and fly out the next morning on the early flight? Do like we did- take a full day tour with Rome in Limo, end up at the Airport Hilton, which is in the airport, and fly home the next day.

Was this a Celebrity cruise ship? I am also on Celebrity Reflection and due to dock in Civitavecchia on 7/14/14 at 5AM. I, without thinking, booked a flight back to the USA at 9:50 AM. I was lucky (or so I thought) to get the flight with miles. Now I am so worried that I will not make the flight. I am hoping to self-disembark by 6 - 6:30 Am. Did you self-disembark - has anyone else had the experience of self-disembarking at 6 or 6:30 AM from Celebrity? If we can get off the ship at that time, I think we'll make the flight without a problem.

Was this a Celebrity cruise ship? I am also on Celebrity Reflection and due to dock in Civitavecchia on 7/14/14 at 5AM. I, without thinking, booked a flight back to the USA at 9:50 AM. I was lucky (or so I thought) to get the flight with miles. Now I am so worried that I will not make the flight. I am hoping to self-disembark by 6 - 6:30 Am. Did you self-disembark - has anyone else had the experience of self-disembarking at 6 or 6:30 AM from Celebrity? If we can get off the ship at that time, I think we'll make the flight without a problem.

No, it was on HAL.

9:50 is CRAZY tight. It can take three hours to process through FCO for a flight going direct to the US.

I am on Celebrity Reflection which will arrive in Civitavecchia at 5 AM on 7/14/2014 - See my recent post today (at 2:14 PM) regarding an early flight out of FCO. I have been communicating with Rome Limousines [bob@romelimousines.com]. They have been very helpful and their prices are reasonable compared to other transfer services. I haven't booked yet - I am trying to find out if we can self-disembark by 6 - 6:30, in which case we will pay more but worry less.

I am on Celebrity Reflection which will arrive in Civitavecchia at 5 AM on 7/14/2014 - See my recent post today (at 2:14 PM) regarding an early flight out of FCO. I have been communicating with Rome Limousines [bob@romelimousines.com]. They have been very helpful and their prices are reasonable compared to other transfer services. I haven't booked yet - I am trying to find out if we can self-disembark by 6 - 6:30, in which case we will pay more but worry less.

Did Rome limousines, Bobs say you needed a private transfer? We have an 11:15 flight out and we are 2 pax..the shuttle was 70E but the private for 2 was 130E, they told me that we needed to do the private transfer..I thought 130E was pretty steep..luckily we have found another couple leaving at same time so we are going to share a private transfer..Just sharing what they told me and that was for 11..

Did Rome limousines, Bobs say you needed a private transfer? We have an 11:15 flight out and we are 2 pax..the shuttle was 70E but the private for 2 was 130E, they told me that we needed to do the private transfer..I thought 130E was pretty steep..luckily we have found another couple leaving at same time so we are going to share a private transfer..Just sharing what they told me and that was for 11..

They told me I could do a shuttle, but might have to wait for other passengers, which would probably be 15 minutes. If you do a shuttle and have them pick you up before 7 AM, it is 30% more. But if your flight is at 11:15, a pick-up at 7AM should be fine, even if they have to gather other passengers.

They told me I could do a shuttle, but might have to wait for other passengers, which would probably be 15 minutes. If you do a shuttle and have them pick you up before 7 AM, it is 30% more. But if your flight is at 11:15, a pick-up at 7AM should be fine, even if they have to gather other passengers.

I was thinking the same thing that if everyone was coming off the ship how could it be that much longer..but if they are waiting for folks who might not have the same time flight I guess they might be a little later or try to fill the shuttle up so wait on others..since I DO NOT want to miss our flight we will not risk it..

Coolplex, not sure why you posted twice, but it is NOT true that you must check in 24 hours in advance of a flight. You may check in when you get to the airport.

Yes you are correct, 2-hours check-in required on International flights. Checking in the night before is just a precaution.

If your Flight is over-sold, the airlines will hold to the 2-hour check-in policy. The reason I posted twice is to let you know that many companies that offer transfers have vans that they want to fill before departure to FCO.

Read the bottom of my past post.

Coolplex, not sure why you posted twice, but it is NOT true that you must check in 24 hours in advance of a flight. You may check in when you get to the airport.

On International flights, airlines will have a second check-in requirement at the boarding gate.

Thanks for the reply Bruce, we originally planned to stay for one more day at Rome but if you notice it's November 1, correct me if I'm wrong but from what I heard and read, it's considered like a national holiday in Rome? All Saints Day? I'm afraid that all the businesses or places we would like to visit that day would be closed off to the public? I've even had found some transportation online that are not available that day some of them it looks like are not open that day.

Anyway, we were able to find a flight from United operated by Lufthansa that will leave Rome at 11:55 am. Is that enough time for us to be able to catch our flight when our ship dock at 5 am?

To my surprise, I thought Celebrity would provide transportation for us from the ship to the airport for free and I was told it's not free! You can tell I'm a newbie on this :o. My agent says it'll cost us $92 for shared transportation thru Celebrity. So now my question is there anywere else cheaper than that? What is anyone's experience with Celebrity's transport?

Special note: Princess has a walk-off service at disembarkation, you must not place your luggage outside the night before. You must keep your luggage with you during the walk-off to allow direct access to customs, once outside the port security gate, signs will direct you to the public transfer area.

Make sure your transfer arrangement do not have other pick-ups scheduled with other passengers, very common for companies to get as much business as possible and could cause you to miss your check-in requirements. GOOD LUCK!

What is this walk of service? Does Celebrity has one of this also? Why should I not leave our luggage outside the night before? What are the pros and cons of leaving our luggage outside the night before? We have with us our 79 years old Mom and we're kind of hoping to just leave our luggage outside the night so we wouldn't have to worry about our Mom's luggage? Does the luggage gets damaged or lost this way? If we should bring our luggage with us during disembarkment, will it be a hassle to bring them with us to the transport provided by Celebrity? Sorry for all the questions :o Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Your safest choice is to fly out the following day, remember a direct flight means it has at least one lay-over, a non stop flight means it's NON-STOP.

The morning flights are best on return, you get to sleep the night before and you get back to the USA or Canada during daylight hours, your flying WEST adding hours to the clock. RailEuro had adult tickets for $17 US dollars from port to FCO about 40 mile direct if driving. If you take the train, you will need to change trains and takes about 1 hour 40 min. there are fast trains that can get you to FCO in less time, I did not look up time table or price.

Edited by coolplex

Do your research now and decide if you think you will meet the check-in requirements, including your luggage.

Better pay for changes now, then going through all the hassle only to pay more later and hope you can get another flight out that day or the next.

A 9:50 AM flight means you must be at the boarding gate at 9:20 AM. Remember, you can only get off the ship after Celebrity clears customs/immigration, which is the manifest on passengers is cleared before the disembarkation starts. You will need to carry off the ship your luggage. I am elite with Celebrity and was one of the first passengers off the ship, only to find out my luggage did not make it off until an hour after I was inside the terminal area where the luggage was located, need I say more? then I had to clear customs. defeated my entire plan. I suggest you go online and read the checked bag cut off time requirements and passenger check-in requirements.

Most airlines on International flights require a 2-hours prior to departure for passengers to check-in at desk, which is not a problem, if you check-in online the night before, but the 30 minutes at the boarding gate may be an issue. Most International flights start boarding 30 minutes before departure time.

The airlines will bump any passenger(s) that fail to meet these check in requirements, if the flight if full! CHECK WITH THE AIRLINES.

You will be able to perform your airline check-in online normally 23 hours before departure, Celebrity will have the computers on until 11 PM to midnight the night before disembarkation, always check. Once the computers are shut down, that option is gone.

The highway from the port to FCO has tolls, so be advised. the drive is about an 40 miles, so an hour should be fine, pending traffic near the airport.

The port is North of FCO.

FCO is the largest airport in Italy and the International terminal is always packed, meaning security lines can be long.

If you book a transfer, be sure you are not going in a van with other passengers, this has happened more then once to me, I found myself waiting for other passengers for nearly an hour before the van left to the airport.

Good luck

Edited by coolplex

What is this walk of service? Does Celebrity has one of this also? Why should I not leave our luggage outside the night before? What are the pros and cons of leaving our luggage outside the night before? We have with us our 79 years old Mom and we're kind of hoping to just leave our luggage outside the night so we wouldn't have to worry about our Mom's luggage? Does the luggage gets damaged or lost this way? If we should bring our luggage with us during disembarkment, will it be a hassle to bring them with us to the transport provided by Celebrity? Sorry for all the questions :o Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most lines offer a "walk off" option now, to help cruisers that need to be off the ship early. You will be the first ones allowed off the ship once it is cleared, but you MUST take your own luggage, as the ship will not yet have had time to set out all the luggage it handled.

It's not a matter of damage or loss. It's a matter of speed. If you cannot handle your own luggage, then that makes it all the more difficult for you to get to an early flight.

If you CAN handle your luggage, know that the private transportation is allowed to pick you up very close to where you disembark. You won't have far to walk. Best advice is to pack light, manage your own luggage and get off the ship first if you have an early flight.

Do your research now and decide if you think you will meet the check-in requirements, including your luggage.

Better pay for changes now, then going through all the hassle only to pay more later and hope you can get another flight out that day or the next.

A 9:50 AM flight means you must be at the boarding gate at 9:20 AM. Remember, you can only get off the ship after Celebrity clears customs/immigration, which is the manifest on passengers is cleared before the disembarkation starts. You will need to carry off the ship your luggage. I am elite with Celebrity and was one of the first passengers off the ship, only to find out my luggage did not make it off until an hour after I was inside the terminal area where the luggage was located, need I say more? then I had to clear customs. defeated my entire plan. I suggest you go online and read the checked bag cut off time requirements and passenger check-in requirements.

Most airlines on International flights require a 2-hours prior to departure for passengers to check-in at desk, which is not a problem, if you check-in online the night before, but the 30 minutes at the boarding gate may be an issue. Most International flights start boarding 30 minutes before departure time.

The airlines will bump any passenger(s) that fail to meet these check in requirements, if the flight if full! CHECK WITH THE AIRLINES.

You will be able to perform your airline check-in online normally 23 hours before departure, Celebrity will have the computers on until 11 PM to midnight the night before disembarkation, always check. Once the computers are shut down, that option is gone.

The highway from the port to FCO has tolls, so be advised. the drive is about an 40 miles, so an hour should be fine, pending traffic near the airport.

The port is North of FCO.

FCO is the largest airport in Italy and the International terminal is always packed, meaning security lines can be long.

If you book a transfer, be sure you are not going in a van with other passengers, this has happened more then once to me, I found myself waiting for other passengers for nearly an hour before the van left to the airport.

Good luck

Lo and behold - I was extremely lucky to find a just posted flight that I could change for the same miles - a Lufthansa (I love Lufthansa) direct (one change in Munich) leaving FCO at 11:50 AM. I will still self-disembark and arrange for a pickup at 7 AM, just to be sure. Wow, now I can relax!!! Thanks to all for your advice and help!!