Diabetic going to Anan next summer

fla gal

We are going to Anan next summer with a diabetic who is nervous about going without his sugar cubes to the viewing platform. Does anyone have a suggestion on what he could have with him in case of a problem? I am sure there have been other people with this same problem.

Why would anyone be carrying "sugar cubes"? IF that is what you mean? Or are you talking about glucose tablets?

I would suggest - purchasing gel tubes. Especially the double Instaglucose. Better than the glucose tablets- which you have to take several and are "ruined" if they get damp.

Of course- most important is do be closely managed with meals, meds and activities. Along with being WELL prepared with at least double your "supplies".

Because that is what works for that particular person and because they are relatively inexpensive to buy.

Any sugar will "work". :) It's just, when traveling, sugar cubes are going to be a mess, and as I already mentioned, getting damp is a possibility, then you have a sticky flaking mess. I am assuming they are not "packaged" add to the mix, using hands to consume them?

You want "inexpensive", a superior option is to collect sugar packages, plenty available right on the ship. At least they are packaged for single use. But, again, will take more than one for most treatments.

Just a suggestion.

Any sugar will "work". :) It's just, when traveling, sugar cubes are going to be a mess, and as I already mentioned, getting damp is a possibility, then you have a sticky flaking mess. I am assuming they are not "packaged" add to the mix, using hands to consume them?

You want "inexpensive", a superior option is to collect sugar packages, plenty available right on the ship. At least they are packaged for single use. But, again, will take more than one for most treatments.

Just a suggestion.

The problem I believe is that you are not allowed to bring any food product or anything that has an odor to Anan - "Never bring food to the observatory. If you plan on visiting Anan, please carefully review guidelines for behavior in bear country". I would suggest that the friend contact the Wrangell Ranger District to ask as none of us know that answer to the question -

"For more information or to obtain a pass please contact the Wrangell Ranger District at 907-874-2323."

DON

Edited by donaldsc

The problem I believe is that you are not allowed to bring any food product or anything that has an odor to Anan - "Never bring food to the observatory. If you plan on visiting Anan, please carefully review guidelines for behavior in bear country". I would suggest that the friend contact the Wrangell Ranger District to ask as none of us know that answer to the question -

"For more information or to obtain a pass please contact the Wrangell Ranger District at 907-874-2323."

DON

Reason, I suggested the gel tubes, especially the Instaglucose brand, it is made out of thick plastic, that should have, at most, minimal odor potential. Only completely nonodor option would be glucogon injections, which for some people, don't "last" with the requirement, also. of intake.

Additional informative information Don. preparation is the key.