Litchfield NP - Self Drive Option

tommn1

Looking for advice/practicality of doing a self tour to Litchfield NP when we are in Darwin on 28 April 17. Our ship is in port from 1100-2000. We are thinking of renting a car and driving to Litchfield on our own instead of taking the ship excursion. The ship excursion is $190USD/pp and there are four of us.

We should be able to pick up car in town shortly after docking, but most in-town car hires are closed by 1700, so we'd have to return the car to the airport and take a taxi to the port. This doesn't seem like a large obstacle to overcome. .

Getting there after picking up the car seems pretty straightforward. We feel we can depart Darwin by noon. Google maps shows it is ~1hr to Batchelor. We thought we'd go there first to grab snacks/something to eat. Depart by 1330

Then onto Florence Falls/Buley Rockhole - about 45 minutes from Batchelor. We are planning on doing one of the walks there and a swim (if open). Depart by 1630. Quick stop at the Magnetic Termite mounds to walk about and take photos. Depart by 1700.

From there it is about 90 minutes back to Darwin to drop off the car. Depart Airport by 1900. Should be back at the port for all aboard at 1930.

Questions....

Any folks out there with experience doing this trip on your own? If so, does what I laid out seem reasonable? It seems to follow what the cruise excursion does, minus having to rent a car.

Will swimming be available in late April? I've read reports that the pools tend to stay closed until the dry season starts in May.

We've done 2 self-drive trips to Litchfield, but neither of them was in connection with a cruise, so we had no time constraints other than being off the road by dark. (Sunset in late April is at 6:30 pm. If you aren't at the airport by then, you need to drive very carefully as animals can be on the roads.)

Your driving times are accurate and driving in this area is pretty easy--good roads and little traffic. You may encounter some road trains (very long semis) outside of Darwin, so give them plenty of room.

If you feel comfortable doing this on your own, I see no reason why you can't. Just keep an eye on the clock!

• 3 weeks later...

We've driven to Litchfield numerous times but never with a time constraint. It's a favourite spot for Darwinites to go for a weekend of camping in the dry season. You've obviously researched the journey exceptionally well so I don't want to put you off but it's one of those situations where you could run into a myriad of problems that prevent you getting back to the ship on time. There're a couple of things you might need to think about if you go alone.

The city of Darwin stretches lazily south and you may run into a bit of unexpected traffic. It might be small by city standards but Darwin is a really busy place. That one hour drive distance could take a lot longer in reality and then there are road trains, high speed limits, a dead straight road and the occasional animal crossing. It can also be very hot in April so be sure to take plenty of water, sunscreen and a hat. Buy food/snacks in Darwin or Batchelor.

The walks in Litchfield NP are mostly steep, and not necessarily easy. Think hikes, not walks, definitely no paving although if you plan on just going to the top of Florence Falls you'l be fine. If you go down the 160 stairs to that tempting pool at the bottom, just remember you have to climb back up again.

The pools at Buley Rock Hole can be very slippery leaving even the most careful with a bruise or two. So take care. And never enter the water without checking the warning signs for rogue crocs washed in during the wet season. The pools will be open for swimming in late April if the rangers have given the all clear.

Whatever you decide have a fabulous time.

Thought I should add that it might take a few minutes to get used to a right hand drive vehicle and driving on the 'wrong'side of the road. But you must feel confident about that or you wouldn't be thinking about doing such a trip from a cruise ship :cool:

Wishfulone...thanks for the additional insights. Definitely some things we will need to take into consideration to make sure we get there and back in time. And I've done enough right-hand driving in other countries that I'm not worried about that. :)

Gut2407...can you expand on why you think this? I'm essentially following the cruise ship itinerary.

Wishfulone...thanks for the additional insights. Definitely some things we will need to take into consideration to make sure we get there and back in time. And I've done enough right-hand driving in other countries that I'm not worried about that. :)

Gut2407...can you expand on why you think this? I'm essentially following the cruise ship itinerary.

Basically because you've got 9 hours.

Probably take half an hour to get your hire car

Best part of three hour drive one and a half each way.

Half an hour to drop car and back to ship.

Leaves what four or five hours to visit a place that needs days, and then you totally miss Darwin.

Basically because you've got 9 hours.

Probably take half an hour to get your hire car

Best part of three hour drive one and a half each way.

Half an hour to drop car and back to ship.

Leaves what four or five hours to visit a place that needs days, and then you totally miss Darwin.

I have to say I agree with Mr Gut. I'm more worried about how much time it'll take to collect the car and the fact you'll be on NT time where everything happens at a leisurely pace. I have no idea where the car rental place is in relation to the port but it could add even more time to your careful planning. And as Gut said, you'll miss Darwin and there's actually a lot to see and do there.

I've been to Darwin twice and enjoyed both of my visits, but if I only had one day in the area, I would go to Litchfield NP (which I have also been to twice). The terrain you will see is amazing; the magnetic termite mounds are unique, and the natural pools are lovely and refreshing.

If you feel confident about driving and keep an eye on your time, you'll have a great day. I think you can see quite a bit of Litchfield in 4-5 hours.