Which port in Dominica does Dream dock in

it depends on the weather...usually its roseau but if the weather is poor portsmouth is more sheltered

if you do (by happenchance) dock at portsmouth treat it as a bonus, the ship docks footsteps from the cabrits national park and is within walking distance of a beach....its a beautiful part of the island (the whole island is beautiful tho)

when on dominca look out for these beautiful catterpillars

trumpet.jpg

...beautiful but (i guess you can see by the colouring) very toxic! dont touch them they will irritate your skin, they can be found on a rather lovely shrub, the golden trumpet also a very toxic plant the sap of which will also irritte your skin there are a few of these shrubs in the botanical gardens, they look lovely but have a bit of a sting in the tail

it depends on the weather...usually its roseau but if the weather is poor portsmouth is more sheltered

if you do (by happenchance) dock at portsmouth treat it as a bonus, the ship docks footsteps from the cabrits national park and is within walking distance of a beach....its a beautiful part of the island (the whole island is beautiful tho)

We did the Thomson trip from Portsmouth to Escape Beach - and it was just that! Very Robinson Crusoe-esque really felt like an escape! Fab - one of DH's all time favourite spots.

The year we went geo it was a planned stop but in that season's itineraries it was the only departure date which was scheduled for Portsmouth not Roseau. Perhaps insufficient berthing space at Roseau? But I agree - a bit of a bonus!

i can also recommend mero beach this is the one that most taxi drivers will take you too from rouseau

it can get busy if there are other ships in

but despite this its unspoiled

its a pure volcanic black (i mean black!) sand beach, so the sand absorbs the sun and gets hot (flip flops required to get to the foreshore) it warms up the sea like a bath, there are some beach bars and sunbeds available to rent

the black sand is refuted to be good for the skin

the waters are filled with fish (a sign that its clean and unpolluted) great for some shallow snorkelling

small fishing boats pull in from time to time and the locals wade in to buy the catch, you know when they are coming as sea birds start to gather ready to pick up any scraps/guts and frigate birds gather ready to ambush them... its a sight to see

the beach is backed by a single track road and open fields filled with pineapple and bananas...its beautiful

dominica is not known for its beaches and there arent very many...however i suspect that all the beaches on dominca are beautiful:cool:

i can also recommend mero beach this is the one that most taxi drivers will take you too from rouseau

it can get busy if there are other ships in

but despite this its unspoiled

its a pure volcanic black (i mean black!) sand beach, so the sand absorbs the sun and gets hot (flip flops required to get to the foreshore) it warms up the sea like a bath, there are some beach bars and sunbeds available to rent

the black sand is refuted to be good for the skin

the waters are filled with fish (a sign that its clean and unpolluted) great for some shallow snorkelling

small fishing boats pull in from time to time and the locals wade in to buy the catch, you know when they are coming as sea birds start to gather ready to pick up any scraps/guts and frigate birds gather ready to ambush them... its a sight to see

the beach is backed by a single track road and open fields filled with pineapple and bananas...its beautiful

dominica is not known for its beaches and there arent very many...however i suspect that all the beaches on dominca are beautiful:cool:

Thanks for that geo :) - we've never been to a beach from Roseau so will copy this for future reference. Always good to get a recommendation! ;)

I don't think one cruise will be enough! :D

oh, you know, it never is for me either jaks...i am severely biased...when it comes to the caribbean...I've been to some islands over half a dozen times, always something new to discover, thats why i am going back in march (i'll be following right behind you jaks) will be very interested in your impressions when you get back (but let us not speak of coming back right now)

i am (secretly) tracking a dream itinerary on 19th jan! its cheap cheap (last minute) compared to what we have paid for march, and flys from exeter...so very tempting for me...oh if only I could spare the time (and the money)...thinks i am suffering the 'just came back glooms' :o

oh, you know, it never is for me either jaks...i am severely biased...when it comes to the caribbean...I've been to some islands over half a dozen times, always something new to discover, thats why i am going back in march (i'll be following right behind you jaks) will be very interested in your impressions when you get back (but let us not speak of coming back right now)

i am (secretly) tracking a dream itinerary on 19th jan! its cheap cheap (last minute) compared to what we have paid for march, and flys from exeter...so very tempting for me...oh if only I could spare the time (and the money)...thinks i am suffering the 'just came back glooms' :o

I know exactly how you feel, but last March I had the time, the money and the friends to go on a last minute cruise back to the Canaries. Remember, the Majesty got stuck in Gran Canaria for 3 days instead of sailing through a storm to Madeira? Well, I got to Madeira 5 weeks later. I felt really decadent about having 2 cruises so close together, but it was an absolute bargain. I'm catching up on lost time. :)

If I can use my iPhone on free wi fi I'll let you know my impressions during the cruise. Hopefully, I will be able to say food and service in MDR is fantastic.

Docking at Roseau (Southern end the island) provides two options.

* The Cargo Dock to the North of Roseau Bay or

* The more pleasant dock that Carnival uses, to the South of Roseau Bay.

I've docked at the Southern one

where we get off the ship right into a small local craft market.

Dominica-068.jpg

Quite pleasant!

Never been to the Northern Roseau Cargo Dock

and hope I never do!

----------

I imagine waay up North at Cabrits/Portsmouth must be delightful!! :)

aw its not so bad in the north dock, they usually lay on a shuttle into town its only minutes and locals put up a market in the sheds, its a bit of a hike to walk but along the seafront so not unpleasant and a few shops/bars on the way...if you are up for a walk

agree its nice to be dropped off footsteps from the town center...unfortunately us thoms cruisers rarely experience that luxury:(

The hotel directly across from the town centre berth is the Fort Young Hotel. There is a nice terrace there for a drink.

often wondered where that was kruzsee :cool:...its recommended on here quite a lot..... to go and have a nice relaxing cool fruity drink on their terrace... will definately do that next time

I have never spent much time actually exploring rouseau town...obviously there is more there than would first appear:cool: