Where to beach / where to snorkel?

Lionshambles

Hello - I am cruising the week of Jan 24 and will be at the following ports:

- Bridgetown, Barbados

- Castries, St Lucia

- St. Johns Antigua

- Philipsburg St Maarten

- Charlotte Amelie St Thomas

I would like to know where you folks think the best snorkeling and best beaching ports are (and specific recommendations if you have them). It has been very confusing to try to track down 'the best of' for these activities.

I believe I am a little spoiled to snorkeling as I think the snorkeling I did in Hawaii is about the best there is - spoken as a guy who has snorkeled three times:D Part of my problem is I have read conflicting reports of different islands' quality of snorkeling, with everything from cloudy water to best ever - on the same island.

For beaching the DW and I would like some shade loungers, bar, beach culture and life, but most of all to feel like we are in the Caribbean tropics.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edited by Lionshambles

Thanks for the information. I was looking into St. Lucia from your responses and I believe that Anse Chastanet Beach is what I am looking for. Anyone have an idea how long of a taxi ride it would be from the port in Castries to this resort?

Also, does anyone have a length of time for a water taxi?

Thanks

Edited by Lionshambles

DH and I were on a cruise in October. We went snorkeling in Barbados....absolutely loved it. Saw a shipwreck and swam with sea turtles. The water was gorgeous and warm. I would highly recommend Action Charters. There were unlimited drinks & lunch included. The tour guys were friendly and helpful.

Have a great cruise!

A few yrs ago on an rci ship we took an awesome boat trip to a black sand beach near the Anse chastenat....great trip,snorkeling in a preserve,lunch a short walk into the jungle and a great view of the pitons.....fast boat with a very helpful crew....highly recommend it...