should i be afraid to drive to port liberty?

artie137

new to posting. i just looked at the map with all the highways around the port, and was intimidated. i am taking my 7 year old gs and thinking of driving to a hotel the night before, then finding transportation to port. i would be driving alone from buffalo. is this a difficult drive? should i stay farther out? any suggestions appreciated. we presently have booked disney dream at twice the price and $700 air! i have cruised rrcl before but not anthem.

We drove to port Liberty from Toronto Canada last year and it was a breeze (compared to driving to port Everglades at least which we have done twice!). It was in the middle of a snow storm too.

We drove down the day before and found a hotel on Staten Island that offered free parking for the duration of the cruise and a shuttle to and from the cruise port. It was the comfort inn, but do some research there are lots of hotels in the area with a similar package.

Edited by Blondynka

I've driven this many times as well (at least to the general NYC area) from Toronto. It is a really nice drive - very straightforward. In terms of dealing with the many roads around that area, as long as you know your route and plan to arrive in the area at off peak commuter times, you will be just fine!

new to posting. i just looked at the map with all the highways around the port, and was intimidated. i am taking my 7 year old gs and thinking of driving to a hotel the night before, then finding transportation to port. i would be driving alone from buffalo. is this a difficult drive? should i stay farther out? any suggestions appreciated. we presently have booked disney dream at twice the price and $700 air! i have cruised rrcl before but not anthem.

What is your sail date? Day of the week can be important.

For folks coming from your area there are two basic strategies.

1) book a hotel in the Parsipanny area on Hotwire. After a long drive from Buffalo you will be happy to get off the road and stay in a nice suburban area and not have to deal with the metro area around Newark and Bayonne, particularly with your GS. The next morning leave between 9 and 9:30 and drive directly to the port and park for the duration of your cruise for $19/ day. This would be about a 45 minute drive.

2). Book a park/sleep through Trinity reservations at the Ramada Plaza which includes hotel, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation for a little over $200 tax included.

Coming from Buffalo, I would NOT stay on Staten Island because of the added travel time through the metro area and $14 bridge toll.

Personally, I would seriously consider option 1. The Newark Airport hotels are in a highly congested industrialized area with limited food options.

I would recommend the NY State thruway to Syracuse then I 81 south to I 380 around Binghamton to I 80 east to Newark. We live near Syracuse and we've driven the route many times. It's approximately a 4 hour drive from Syracuse. Traffic around Newark is a bit hectic and there are a few confusing twists and turns but we do MapQuest and it was no problem. Be sure to do one for the return as well (those twists and turns).

I also second the suggestion to do a Park and Cruise package that includes parking and a two-way shuttle. There are just too many things (breakdowns, weather etc.) that can go wrong and result in your missing the ship.

Good Luck and Bon Voyage!

Harry

Edited by traveling1969

new to posting. i just looked at the map with all the highways around the port, and was intimidated. i am taking my 7 year old gs and thinking of driving to a hotel the night before, then finding transportation to port. i would be driving alone from buffalo. is this a difficult drive? should i stay farther out? any suggestions appreciated. we presently have booked disney dream at twice the price and $700 air! i have cruised rrcl before but not anthem.[/QUOT

stay around 20 miles out if you need help let me know

I agree. That's why I recommended the Parsipanny area., which would include Morristown. You'd be staying in a more suburban area with nicer accommodations, restaurants, and stores. You can drive down route 24 to I78 and it's a straight shot to exit 14A on the NJ Turnpike extension (also I78). No need to deal with the confusing area around the airport trying to find your hotel. When you get off the ship, your car will be right there and you can head off home.

Just read that there are closures on 440 South and the Bayonne Bridge. We were planning on following Port directions and taking Exit 14a to 440. What now?

Where are you coming from?

If you are taking the NJ Tpke to 14A to 440 south, you will not be affected by the Bayonne Bridge closure because the port is before the bridge.

Just read that there are closures on 440 South and the Bayonne Bridge. We were planning on following Port directions and taking Exit 14a to 440. What now?

14A is at the far north end of Bayonne and no where near the Bayonne Bridge, at the far south end of Bayonne. 440 is only closed by the entrance to the Bayonne Bridge. You'll be fine.

i will leave from school 3pm, and drive to out side port. arrive about 10 friday night. up in morning for short drive to port. thanks so much for ur help.

my mom and grandmom was from to. about 10 yrs ago i took my kids to see the city, and i swore to my self i would never drive there again! wow has it grown.

Hi,

Which route from Toronto did you take?

If coming from Belleville I wouldn't go via Toronto unless you must do so.

Much shorter route would be to take Hwy 401 east to go south on Interstate 81(just east of Kingston), at Scranton take I-380 south to I-80 east and then I-280 to I-95 (NJ Turnpike) south to Exit 14A and NJ Tpke extension over to 440 south.

We done the drive from Brantford several times and will do it again for our Anthem Jan.3rd cruise. We take QEW to Hwy 405 and cross border at Queenston/Lewiston. Then we take I-190 south to Buffalo's I-290 east, to I-90 east, to Batavia Exit 48. Then south on Hwy 63 to Hwy 36 south, to I-390 east, to I-81 south. Then follow above I-81 onwards route from Belleville.

If weather is really bad I would take the longer route by staying on NY Tpke I-90 to Exit 46 for I-390 south.

Edited by robtulipe

i will leave from school 3pm, and drive to out side port. arrive about 10 friday night. up in morning for short drive to port. thanks so much for ur help.

my mom and grandmom was from to. about 10 yrs ago i took my kids to see the city, and i swore to my self i would never drive there again! wow has it grown.

Where are you staying? Are you looking in the Morristown/Parsipanny area or the Newark Airport area? You must be selective about a hotel in Newark. There are certainly other options like Secaucus or other suburbs if you're parking at the port.