Port of Livorno to Lucca and back

midwestchick

I can hire a driver to take us to Lucca but I think the price is a little high and have not found anyone who would like to share the ride. Is there a less expensive option of transportation to Lucca from the port...we will just be walking around doing it on our own.

I could also do the ship's tour which is Lucca and Wine tasting but it wouldn't give us much time in Lucca.

Advice, suggestions, comments???????????

It is an easy train ride from Livorno to Lucca.

Take your ship's shuttle bus (ours on Oceania let us off right by a major bus transfer point), buy a bus ticket at the tobacconist there across the street and then it is a short bus to the main train station. You will have to switch trains in Pisa, but the trains run often so there are good connections; you will not have to wait long in Pisa. The Lucca train station is just 100 yards from the main gate entrance to the walled old city. The trenitalia website will give you the schedules. Very easy to do.

We spent a wonderful day in Lucca a couple of years ago, a return visit to a lovely city.

Edited by CintiPam

We went to Lucca, from Livorno, by train. It was cheap and easy. The total cost of our transport was 22.60 Euro for the two of us. That included a shared taxi ride to Livorno train station and back. We just asked if anyone was going to the train station. There were lots of 8 passenger vans people were sharing. The cost per van was 24 euro, so 6 Euro a couple. Our train tickets, bought on the Trenitalia website, for the two of us, were 10.60 Euro return. There is a train change in Pisa but it is quite easy. The train station in Lucca is right outside the wall.

The trip takes about an hour including the transfer at Pisa. We caught a train at around 8:30 and came back on the 15:17 (3:17)train which was plenty of time for a 7:00 departure.

Lucca is a pleasant spot. Easy to navigate. But get a map at the tourist center. We got lost in the small, windy, twisty streets but just went up to the top of the wall to figure out where we were. If you are a shopper there were lots of little shops.

See you soon

We did both last year. Driver for the trip to Lucca. It was eur 100 but we are with 4. We then got back by train with a free visit to Pisa. I think next time we'll do both by train. Very easy.

We rented a car from Livorno - met us right at the port - GPS in English - easy drive on mostly highways with excellent advice from the rental agency. Drove to Lucca - spent the morning there wandering around, shopping and ate lunch and then drove to Pisa and back to ship with time to spare.

It was a great day for us - went exactly as we had planned.

We had read that Pisa is "overrated" - it may be a cliche and it was filled with tourists but it was a beautiful day with bright blue skies and the buildings just gleamed - we were very happy we stopped. Sometime there are a lot of tourists because it is actually worth visiting!

We did both last year. Driver for the trip to Lucca. It was eur 100 but we are with 4. We then got back by train with a free visit to Pisa. I think next time we'll do both by train. Very easy.

That's very reasonable. May I ask who you used?

I would prefer not to use the train.

Thank you. I'll check them out. Would really like to find something reasonable that would take us and then also return us to the port.

You should also check tuscanybytaxi.com.

I did contact them and already had a response. Now I just need someone to share either that one or the one I have booked. I'll need to go back and check the first one to compare pricing.

If you check your roll call there probably are some people to fill the seats. Have fun.