Riu Florida Beach - Miami South Beach - Advice

OLS

Hi,

were staying at the Riu Florida beach on South Beach for 2 nights (thurs night & fri night) before heading out on Sat for the cruise.

This is the hotel

Anyone stayed there, or anyone in the area know the hotel? Is it as nice as the pics look or is it dirty and need tidying up, how about the location, is it walking distance to places (by places I mean nice resturant and Trendy watering holes!) & what is the best way to get to the port, taxi???

Currently, as were flying in to Orlando we are picking up the Rental at Orlando airport, driving to our friends house for a much needed cuppa and rest for an hour, then driving down to Miami & we were to hand the car back on the Friday, would we be best keeping it an extra night and hand it in on the Saturday - the rental return place is not by the port its Collins Ave not to far from the hotel (so IM told) its Alamo.

Thanks for any help

Hi,

were staying at the Riu Florida beach on South Beach for 2 nights (thurs night & fri night) before heading out on Sat for the cruise.

This is the hotel

Anyone stayed there, or anyone in the area know the hotel? Is it as nice as the pics look or is it dirty and need tidying up, how about the location, is it walking distance to places (by places I mean nice resturant and Trendy watering holes!) & what is the best way to get to the port, taxi???

Thanks for any help

The hotel is not in South Beach. It is about a mile north in Mid Beach and area I don't care for.

Difficult to walk anywhere because it is in a very busy part of Collins Avenue and the sidewalks are across the street. It seems more like a freeway to me.

I don't know specifics about the hotel, just the location.

It's not like staying in "south beach proper" but I'd classify the area as "average". The more south on the beach you go, the more you will pay. This is an area that is slowly turning around in Miami. Can't speak for the hotel. I think you'll be fine.

Hi,

This is the hotel

Currently, as were flying in to Orlando we are picking up the Rental at Orlando airport, driving to our friends house for a much needed cuppa and rest for an hour, then driving down to Miami & we were to hand the car back on the Friday, would we be best keeping it an extra night and hand it in on the Saturday - the rental return place is not by the port its Collins Ave not to far from the hotel (so IM told) its Alamo.

Thanks for any help

We stayed there about 18 months ago. The hotel was okay--not wonderful but okay. For the price, we couldn't complain. The pool area is nice and to walk to SoBe, you can use the boardwalk along the ocean. On our last trip in Feb 08, we stayed at the Doubletree Surfrider and it was much nicer and closer to the activities in SoBe. If you don't like walking, the buses run regularly and are very inexpensive.

Thanks for all your information guys.

I was hoping the hotel would be more than ''OK'' seen as they have classed it as a 4* here in the UK with the Travel Agents!!

I don't think we can change it now as I think when we paid the TAs we had to pay in full for the hotels, ill have to dig out my invoice and check it out!!

Glad a few have said its walkable on the boadwalk to SoBe as were fine with walking, was worried at the first reply though saying it was Mid Beach and not walkable really as oposite what was classed as a freeway!!

Will deffo turn the car in when we arrive in Miami then if its best to do that, cheers for that info.

Thanks for all your information guys.

Glad a few have said its walkable on the boadwalk to SoBe as were fine with walking, was worried at the first reply though saying it was Mid Beach and not walkable really as oposite what was classed as a freeway!!

It is a little over a mile to the northernmost part of South Beach by Boardwalk which is on the ocean side of the hotel.

It is a little over a mile to the northernmost part of South Beach by Boardwalk which is on the ocean side of the hotel.

oh a mile isnt to bad to walk, will just walk there and taxi back. Will jst make sure we walk down the boadwalk and not cross the busy road you were talking about.

Checked my paper work and the hotel has been Paid outright so can't move hotel as we would loose the money ($260 ish for 2 nights Bed & Breakfast) but least its only for 2 eveings and only 1 full day, its not like its a week or 2 so suppose it wont be so bad!

Thank again for info everyone :D;)

oh a mile isnt to bad to walk, will just walk there and taxi back. Will jst make sure we walk down the boadwalk and not cross the busy road you were talking about.

Checked my paper work and the hotel has been Paid outright so can't move hotel as we would loose the money ($260 ish for 2 nights Bed & Breakfast) but least its only for 2 eveings and only 1 full day, its not like its a week or 2 so suppose it wont be so bad!

Thank again for info everyone :D;)

You'll be fine! Hang out on the beach by day, take a taxi into South Beach early afternoon (still in bathing suits), hit one of the swanky pool bars (The Delano) for happy hour, cab back to hotel around 6PM for a siesta, cab back to South Beach around 10PM for dinner!

You'll be fine! Hang out on the beach by day, take a taxi into South Beach early afternoon (still in bathing suits), hit one of the swanky pool bars (The Delano) for happy hour, cab back to hotel around 6PM for a siesta, cab back to South Beach around 10PM for dinner!

Sounds good to me!!

I did tell OH about it not actually being in South Beach and about 1 mile walk and after a lot of expletives about false info (TA) and false advertising (TA) he stated he wasnt walking a mile down the beach and we would be getting taxis lol, he said he likes to relax on holiday not go for mile walks just to get to where he wants to have a quick drink/bite to eat so your plan sounds like a good one, especially the swanky pool bars & Siestas :D

Sounds good to me!!

I did tell OH about it not actually being in South Beach and about 1 mile walk and after a lot of expletives about false info (TA) and false advertising (TA) he stated he wasnt walking a mile down the beach and we would be getting taxis lol, he said he likes to relax on holiday not go for mile walks just to get to where he wants to have a quick drink/bite to eat so your plan sounds like a good one, especially the swanky pool bars & Siestas :D

If you want a special treat go to the Delano for breakfast and sit outside overlooking the pool area--you'll feel like a movie star. And you will be fine at the Riu--I am quite picky and I would stay there again for the right price! And it sounds like you got a good price. As to the mile walk, call it a leisurely stroll along the boardwalk overlooking the beautiful ocean--maybe OH won't be so put off by that!;)

If you want a special treat go to the Delano for breakfast and sit outside overlooking the pool area--you'll feel like a movie star. And you will be fine at the Riu--I am quite picky and I would stay there again for the right price! And it sounds like you got a good price. As to the mile walk, call it a leisurely stroll along the boardwalk overlooking the beautiful ocean--maybe OH won't be so put off by that!;)

ooo I didnt realise you could go to the Delano for breakfast, this is a must we will deffo do this I think!!

I think looking on online reviews we will just need to upgrade to an ocean side room (we might alreayd have one ill have to tripple check my booking AGAIN!) so as not to look at derelict buildings and im sure we will be fine!!

Yeah it might have helped if I hadnt of called it a mile long treck to my OH :D

Just a heads up: No where in South Beach can men get into after 5PM in shorts. My husband has about a half dozen pair of casual drawstring linen pants that we keep in the beach bag for happy hour pool bar hopping to wear over his board shorts.

Secondly, dress for happy hour even with your bathing suit on. Wear at least dressy sandals (I wear heels), a nice sarong or maxi dress, big earrings, and most importantly for you and him, cool sunglasses. Knockoffs work as long as they are cool.

I know this sounds silly but if there are celebs staying at the hotel, the hotel security will patrol the area. If you look like you belong you will be fine.

You do not have to look like a twenty something hard body but just well groomed and put together.

Have fun and skip the Delano for breakfast, everyone is still in bed or just getting to bed from the night before. The clubs don't open until midnight and don't get full until 2AM.

Mojitos are a must.

Just a heads up: No where in South Beach can men get into after 5PM in shorts. My husband has about a half dozen pair of casual drawstring linen pants that we keep in the beach bag for happy hour pool bar hopping to wear over his board shorts.

Secondly, dress for happy hour even with your bathing suit on. Wear at least dressy sandals (I wear heels), a nice sarong or maxi dress, big earrings, and most importantly for you and him, cool sunglasses. Knockoffs work as long as they are cool.

I know this sounds silly but if there are celebs staying at the hotel, the hotel security will patrol the area. If you look like you belong you will be fine.

You do not have to look like a twenty something hard body but just well groomed and put together.

Have fun and skip the Delano for breakfast, everyone is still in bed or just getting to bed from the night before. The clubs don't open until midnight and don't get full until 2AM.

Mojitos are a must.

Thanks very much for your tips, they are greatly appreciated, Ill print them off now to go with my other docs to read up on just before we go :D

The clubs don't open until midnight and don't get full until 2AM.

:D good job were only there for 2 nights then huh!!

Really looking forward to trying a proper Mojitos as only ever had a crap one here!

Thanks very much for your tips, they are greatly appreciated, Ill print them off now to go with my other docs to read up on just before we go :D

One last thing, walk straight through the hotel to get to the pool bar. You can come back and gawk on your way to the bathroom after you've downed your first toddy!

One last thing, walk straight through the hotel to get to the pool bar. You can come back and gawk on your way to the bathroom after you've downed your first toddy!

:D LOL will do then, don't want to look like proper tourists on the hunt for some celeb eye candy now do we!!!:D

The Delano used to have a great happy hour, beverages and appetizers were half off.

My sweetheart says "it's the best place for bimbo watching"

ooo I didnt realise you could go to the Delano for breakfast, this is a must we will deffo do this I think!!

I think looking on online reviews we will just need to upgrade to an ocean side room (we might alreayd have one ill have to tripple check my booking AGAIN!) so as not to look at derelict buildings and im sure we will be fine!!

Yeah it might have helped if I hadnt of called it a mile long treck to my OH :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to Revive an old(ish) thread, this question is for BlueHerons since she has been so helpfull already ;)

We have the option of switching to a different hotel and is its with the same company we booked the Rui with we wont loose any money just pay the difference in price, just wondering if you could tell me if it would be better to switch to it if you know it.

I really just want to know if this hotel is closer to South Beach, is in a nicer area & is in a better area to get to places??

Cheers

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/miabh-courtyard-miami-beach-oceanfront/

Sorry to Revive an old(ish) thread, this question is for BlueHerons since she has been so helpfull already ;)

We have the option of switching to a different hotel and is its with the same company we booked the Rui with we wont loose any money just pay the difference in price, just wondering if you could tell me if it would be better to switch to it if you know it.

I really just want to know if this hotel is closer to South Beach, is in a nicer area & is in a better area to get to places??

Cheers

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/miabh-courtyard-miami-beach-oceanfront/

Hello, My Lady is from Germany and loves to stay at this Hotel. I will say it's nice but overpriced like so much of that area. Because she pays in Euros she does get a better price then the U.S Dollar would be. The pool is small but nice and the Beach is right behind it. We were there this last March. I remember ordering a Diet Coke from the pool bar and I got a small plastic cup with some ice and a gun shot 12 ounce diet soda for $ 4.69 ! :eek: :D Welcome to Miami Beach.. :rolleyes: :D There are only two elevators for guest's and a small gift shop in the lobby. Their is also a Buffet that they have for Breakfast and Dinner off of the lobby. Dinner for two ran about $55.00 U.S.D As I said, She loves this Hotel and will stay here again this April..

Archived