Long Beach Airport vs LAX

kaylahszoo

We're on the Monarch of the Seas out of San Pedro and I decided it would be a lot easier to fly into Long Beach than it would LAX. I hear the distance is only about 5 miles less, but it is a nice small airport & a lot easier to access. US Airways is one of the few (if not only) airlines that fly nonstop from Phoenix. Get this- if we fly in on January 3- the day our cruise leaves- the cost roundtrip is $334. If we fly in Thursday (which we can't because our cruise leaves Wed) the price roundtrip is $126. I know it is the holidays- but give me a break. There's a bit of a price difference there. Unless anyone knows any wonderful secrets- Southwest Airlines to LAX is what we'll be flying.

AmWest flies into Santa Anna. $186.00pp RT almost every day in January. Little further to the port, but definitely a smaller airport if you want to avoid LAX. Super Shuttle can get you to the port easily and relatively cheaply.

United flies PHX/LAX for $169.00 RT.

One other option-rent a one way car and drive to the port. As the cost of short haul airfare is pretty high, you will save quite a bit of money. Can even stop at the great outlet mall outside Indio and spend your savings.

I thought you were going to Hawaii???? for your cruise.

Airline prices are based on availability and they only sell a certain number of seats at any given airfare. So, it's probable that the lower fare exists on your dates, but they're sold out. The higher holiday fares usually run to January 5th, so I tend to think that it's an availability issue.

The USAirways flights are actually America West (which USAir recently bought).

I love Long Beach Airport. While distance wise, it may only be 5 miles difference, in heavy traffic it could make a huge time difference. I would do John Wayne in Orange County over LA, but again rush hour is terrible. If you're doing a morning arrival, be prepared for stop and go traffic. (I used to do the Long Beach to Irvine commute every day).

Good luck,

Bobbi

greatam- we are doing Hawaii, also. That is next summer- the big family trip. This is just a 5 day one we picked up from RCCL pretty inexpensively. We are doing the whole cruise, airfare, etc-for about $700 a person. Would do it even at less cost, but my daughter has to be back in school. I've always got tons of vacation time I need to use up inbetween our busy times at work, and January is still semi- quiet for us.

Used to do 1 cruise a year- then 2- now it seems like we sneak in 3.

I know it is the holidays- but give me a break. There's a bit of a price difference there.

Repeat after me: Supply and Demand. Econ 101. Even in the airline industry.

The USAirways flights are actually America West (which USAir recently bought).

Actually the other way around. America West bought/merged USAirways, but decided to keep the USAirways name as the surviving carrier for marketing purposes.

Take the flights into LAX or SNA.

The Southwest Terminal at LAX is an easy one and you can get a Blue Shuttle to the pier right outside .. depending on the time of day it isn't that $208 / person much of aggravation .. In fact for not that much A limo will pick you up at the airport and then the trip is quite nice !!!!!!!! ( Actually I paid 140 round trip for the limo and there were four of us )

• 2 weeks later...

Does Jet Blue fly out of your home airport? They're the big airline at Long Beach so there might be a lot more options and cheaper prices. I would stick with Long Beach airport if possible. We try to use that one as much as possible...

Archived