HMC for someone who uses a walker

tigercat

I use a walker to get around and was wondering how HMC is for someone who has problems walking. How far from the dock is the beach area? Any information for someone who is disabled would be welcomed. For all the cruises I have taken on Carnival this will be the first time on their private Island.

Also, for getting in the water is it a gradual walk into it or does it drop rather fast? Just not sure how I will be on the Island and may end up having to stay on board the ship.

tigercat

Unless it's really rough, you should have no problem getting on the tender and making it to the island.

HMC isn't that big...and if you need some mobility support, they have a tram/golf cart sort of thing that can help.

Like most of the Bahamas, the water drop off is gradual...and you can see the bottom, so it's quite easy to wade about at the edge of the water.

• 3 weeks later...

If you take the first set of steps down to the beach it's not far at all. The first set of chairs in that area is around the kids waterpark area (just thought I would let you know).

Yes, the water is very gradual and very shallow pretty far out...like WAY far out. We could stand up just about everywhere along there. ;) (Even our 6 year old daughter could stand up way out there as well).

As you can see from the following picture, very shallow. While most people that get in the water will crouch down to their shoulders, if you look at the lady a ways out there, you will see she is standing and it's only up to her waist that far out and you can go much further out.

P4090052%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

yes, you can find fish in any parts of the water. Usually the ones that you will find out in the open in the sandy areas are these little guys:

P4090018%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P4090087%20copy-L.jpg

Thanks mitsugirly. I am glad to see the pictures of the fish. I don't want to see fish when I go in. I know that sounds weird and one (the main) reason we don't do beach days. For some reason I have panic attacks as soon as I see fish around me. If I can't see them or feel them than they don't exist however once you tell me that they are all around me I panic. And not in a good way. You would think I was being eaten alive by them. I have tried to not panic, and scream but at this point I know that that is what I will do. I am trying to get over it by visualizing it but as of our last trip it doesn't seem to be working. It is irrational I know. Oh well, I will probably just stay on the ship.

tigercat