Maps.me is Free/Cheap Today

chewbaka

I have been using an Android App called Maps.me (formerly called maps with me) for awhile for our travels. It works offline without any connection on my Samsung phone and my Asus Pad. The GPS function on the devices gives you position on the map and compass direction. It has helped immensely on our travels since I installed it. The maps for each country are free and can be downloaded when you have a connection - then used offline. The developer is very responsive with email requests for assistance.

I received an email from the developer that said it is free for iPhone and 80% off for Android for today (8/17/2014). I paid $5 a few months ago and it has been worth every penny. I started with the free version and it was great. I then installed the paid version because of search capabilities and bookmarks.

I use it to plan travel by identifying key locations at cities and ports- then dropping "pins" (bookmarks) for each. The maps have fairly complete points of interest that help out. It also includes transit stops and stations. I do the planning on my larger tablet and then transfer the pins to my phone to use on the go.

It helps to plan itinerary since we can see where all the places we want to go to on a map and then helps us find each one with GPS.

GET IT TODAY. If you see this too late for the discount, I recommend getting it anyway....

Thank you very much for this! DH and I have both downloaded it on all our i-gadgets, and downloaded the map for our next cruise destination. I have been looking for something just like this, but the prices ranged from $3.99-$4.99 per area of the world, with no reviews. This will be perfect!!

Thanks for posting about this app! Have downloaded onto my iPad and Android Phone. Android app was only $0.99! Have downloaded maps for our cruise in Sept and look forward to seeing how this works for us!

Thanks...

Just downloaded this app on I-phone and I-pad. How do you transfer your saved, bookmarked maps?

So glad to have this!

First of all, I download the maps on each device separately.

To transfer the bookmark file, I go to the bookmark grouping and click the share icon on the upper right. Then I send the kml/kmz file to myself via email. I open the email on the receiving device and click the file. It automatically loads into the app.

I use a differently named bookmark grouping for each trip.