DIY Itinerary Advice please

catangeo

I need some help and suggestions for a 6 night itinerary post-cruise. I can't seem to get a handle on the driving distances between places in Alaska. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

Cruise ends Sunday in Seward - do Kenai Fjords trip, take 6pm train to Anchorage, 1nt Anchorage.

Monday - pick up car rental, drive to Talkeetna, do McKinley flightseeing (weather permitting), 1nt Talkeetna.

Tuesday, Wednesday - Denali NP, take park tours, 2 nts Denali area.

Thursday - ?

Friday - ?

Saturday - return car rental, 3:30pm flight from Anchorage to home.

Can someone suggest what we can do for the last 2 days/nights? Fairbanks and Glenallen or Valdez? Or double back to Anchorage? We don't mind spending time driving if there are interesting stops along the way and pull-offs for scenic photos.

Thanks for any & all help.:)

Why not stay in Seward for one night at the beginning? You can probably get by without a car and still hike to Exit Glacier and tour the SeaLife Center. Also...take time to hang out on the docks after your Kenai Fjords cruise and watch the fishermen come in with their catch. And...if you aren't in a hurry to catch a train at 6 pm, you could take a little longer tour of the Kenai Fjords.

The area between Seward and Anchorage is also very scenic and would be worth back tracking once you have a rental car...Wildlife Conservation Center, Aleyeska tram, Portage Glacier, Potter's Marsh, etc. You could even go as far as Whittier and do one of the glacier tours.

Thanks AryMay. I hadn't considered overnighting in Seward but I see there's alot there to recommend it. I just hate having to back track over roads we've already traveled when there's so much else to see!

By the way, i loved your trip review and the photos are to die for! I'm just looking at purchasing the canon SX50 based on your excellent pictures.

What do you want to see and do? What are your interests? You have a nice amount of time so there are many options available. Do you want to spend more time inland or more time on the coast?

Valdez is my favorite spot after Denali. But it would be a lot of driving. It really depends on your interests and priorities. Personally I enjoy scenic driving but other folks prefer excursions.

If you prefer to explore inland, in addition to Denali, you could spend 2 nights in Fairbanks, and maybe splurge on a flight to Barrow. Or, after Denali detour to Independence Mine or Matanuska Glacier for an ice trek or white water rafting. Visit the Spirit Houses at Eklutna, the Eagle River Nature Center. Instead of returning to Anc, go to Girdwood and explore along the Turnagain Arm.

Or if you're drawn to the coast, rent a car from Hertz in Seward and drive to Homer to overnight. It's about a 4 hr drive. Return the car then take the evening train to Anc. Then go to Denali, Independence Mine, etc

So many options to explore. Pick up an Alaska travel book from the library and learn about all the options.

This driving chart might help. Also look at the SCENIC DRIVES under THINGS TO DO. http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart.

p.s. I was recently looking at a photjournal that incl FAI and Homer on a DIY trip. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

I just hate having to back track over roads we've already traveled when there's so much else to see!

For me, that's like saying: "I ate great meal one time... There's no need to ever eat again."

The short portion of road that you would backtrack is very scenic. I've drove it hundreds of times and am in awe every time.

In addition to the suggestion to spend time in the Portage/Girdwood area, you might also consider the Matanuska Glacier, north of Palmer.

All good suggestions, mapleleaves, and thank you. I particularly enjoyed your advice to visit the library: I'm a librarian whose desk is currently inundated with Alaska travel guides. I think i'm suffering from information overload!

My husband and I would both enjoy rafting, ice trekking and the Independence mine. How would you suggest we add them to the route? and where would be the best place to overnight for these excursions?

For me, that's like saying: "I ate great meal one time... There's no need to ever eat again."

The short portion of road that you would backtrack is very scenic. I've drove it hundreds of times and am in awe every time.

In addition to the suggestion to spend time in the Portage/Girdwood area, you might also consider the Matanuska Glacier, north of Palmer.

I was originally thinking that we could circle around up to Fairbanks after Denali, then come south via Delta Junction and Glennallen before heading west again toward Anchorage. However it looks like a really long ride that way, and wouldn't leave us much time to experience places like the Matanuska Glacier. As for backtracking I'm sure you're right about the spectacular scenery so perhaps it would be better to just come south again after Denali after all.

I was originally thinking that we could circle around up to Fairbanks after Denali, then come south via Delta Junction and Glennallen before heading west again toward Anchorage. However it looks like a really long ride that way, and wouldn't leave us much time to experience places like the Matanuska Glacier.

It's actually not that far. Fairbanks-Glennallen is 240 miles then Glenallen-Anc is 180 miles. You could do it in a day if you just drove without stops, or 2 easy days.

All good suggestions, mapleleaves, and thank you. I particularly enjoyed your advice to visit the library: I'm a librarian whose desk is currently inundated with Alaska travel guides. I think i'm suffering from information overload!

My husband and I would both enjoy rafting, ice trekking and the Independence mine. How would you suggest we add them to the route? and where would be the best place to overnight for these excursions?

Independence Mine and Matanuska Glacier are off the Glenn Hwy which is accessed just north of Anchorage. I'd include them after Denali as you're heading back to Anc. That would put you closer to Anc for your flight home and gives you something to look forward to after Denali.

SUN - kenai cruise. Evening train to Anc

MON - drive to Talkeetna 2 1/2 hrs. Maybe spend the morning in Anc, stop at Eklutna Spirit Houses, Eagle River. Afternoon or evening flightseeing

TUE - am flightseeing, if needed. Drive to Denali 2 1/2 hrs. Arrive by 3 so that you can walk or shuttle to the 4pm sled dog demo. Drive to Savage River trail head which is as far as private vehicles can go in the park. Hike 2 mile loop along the river. Evening raft trip.

WED - shuttle.

THU - drive to Matanuska Glacier 6 hrs. Overnight there. The Glenn Hwy is very scenic drive.

FRI - ice trek at the glacier. Drive to Independence Mine. Hike. Overnight in Palmer ( 1 hr north of Anc)

Sat - Check out the Palmer Visitor Center for the enormous vegetables, flowers. Drive to the airport. Plan on being there by 1pm to return your car then check in.

http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/?page_id=14

Independence Mine and Matanuska Glacier are off the Glenn Hwy which is accessed just north of Anchorage. I'd include them after Denali as you're heading back to Anc. That would put you closer to Anc for your flight home and gives you something to look forward to after Denali.

SUN - kenai cruise. Evening train to Anc

MON - drive to Talkeetna 2 1/2 hrs. Maybe spend the morning in Anc, stop at Eklutna Spirit Houses, Eagle River. Afternoon or evening flightseeing

TUE - am flightseeing, if needed. Drive to Denali 2 1/2 hrs. Arrive by 3 so that you can walk or shuttle to the 4pm sled dog demo. Drive to Savage River trail head which is as far as private vehicles can go in the park. Hike 2 mile loop along the river. Evening raft trip.

WED - shuttle.

THU - drive to Matanuska Glacier 6 hrs. Overnight there. The Glenn Hwy is very scenic drive.

FRI - ice trek at the glacier. Drive to Independence Mine. Hike. Overnight in Palmer ( 1 hr north of Anc)

Sat - Check out the Palmer Visitor Center for the enormous vegetables, flowers. Drive to the airport. Plan on being there by 1pm to return your car then check in.

http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/?page_id=14

Brilliant!! I think you've come up with a winning itinerary. And if the flightseeing gets cancelled on Monday or Tuesday, we could try again on the way down to Matanuska.

Thank you so much, mapleleaves. You've saved the day :)

Glad it works for you, but I'd still encourage you to do some research and look at all the options. You might just as well enjoy Homer, or Fairbanks or the Turnagain Arm.

Suggested stopping points for the drive to Matanuska Glacier are in this link. And the Hatcher Pass drive that's listed takes you to Independence Mine.

http://www.alaska.org/destination/anchorage/scenic-drives

Regarding the Prince William Sound coastal communities Mapleleaves and I differ in that I much prefer Homer to Valdez. Homer is well worth a trip, but I also like the Independence Mine area. For something "off the beaten path" the funky Hatcher Pass Lodge is an interesting place to stay for one night.

Regarding the Prince William Sound coastal communities Mapleleaves and I differ in that I much prefer Homer to Valdez. Homer is well worth a trip, but I also like the Independence Mine area. For something "off the beaten path" the funky Hatcher Pass Lodge is an interesting place to stay for one night.

I took a look at the Hatcher Pass Lodge but I think it's a little too 'rustically authentic' for our tastes. I appreciate the recommendation and I'll continue to shop around for a place with running water for now!

there's a trip report from campbell in 2014 that includes a visit to Matanuska Glacier and overnight at Homestead Guest Cabin. They chose the large cabin because it has a w/d. I don't think there's wifi at Homestead.

Tundra Rose Cabins is well reviewed and near Matanuska ... a little more money but has wifi.

there's a trip report from campbell in 2014 that includes a visit to Matanuska Glacier and overnight at Homestead Guest Cabin. They chose the large cabin because it has a w/d. I don't think there's wifi at Homestead.

Tundra Rose Cabins is well reviewed and near Matanuska ... a little more money but has wifi.

All good recommendations. I read the Campbell trip report; lots of helpful information and ideas there. Of the two cabin suggestions, Homestead looks better to us since the cabins have a full stove and we'd like to do our own cooking whenever possible. Your previous post mentioned enormous vegetables at the Palmer visitor center. My DH is a huge fan of vegetables, the bigger the better. Are they on display there, or are they for sale; what's that about?

I can personally recommend Homestead Cabins - stayed there for three nights in 2013, and it was wonderful! The hosts are friendly, amazing folks with lots of stories to tell. The cabins are beautifully decorated, handcrafted dwellings built with the wood milled from the owner's sawmill. Beds were very comfy! We too cooked in our cabin 2 of the three nights - just be sure to stop in Wasilla or Palmer to load up on groceries before you drive out there - there are really no grocery stores for food purchases within an hour's drive. We were fortunate enough to be visited by a moose family every single day at the cabin - often they would graze right off our porch. Its location is very close to the Matanuska Glacier where we spent an amazing day walking on the glacier. Would highly recommend!

The vegetables/flowers are growing; they are display not for sale. The Mat-Su Valley is a successful agriculture area ... there are farm tours as well.

Farmers bring world-record breaking vegetables to the Alaska State Fair, held in Palmer at the end of August.

http://www.palmermuseum.org/about-palmer/

http://www.palmermuseum.org/garden/

I can personally recommend Homestead Cabins - stayed there for three nights in 2013, and it was wonderful! The hosts are friendly, amazing folks with lots of stories to tell. The cabins are beautifully decorated, handcrafted dwellings built with the wood milled from the owner's sawmill. Beds were very comfy! We too cooked in our cabin 2 of the three nights - just be sure to stop in Wasilla or Palmer to load up on groceries before you drive out there - there are really no grocery stores for food purchases within an hour's drive. We were fortunate enough to be visited by a moose family every single day at the cabin - often they would graze right off our porch. Its location is very close to the Matanuska Glacier where we spent an amazing day walking on the glacier. Would highly recommend!

That's just the kind of experience we're hoping for. Thanks for the personal recommendation.