Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old January 13th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong1 View Post
Caps Lock On - Greetings from a relative "newbie" (we have 2 Regent cruises under our belt and one more coming up in June). I have rarely read the formal reviews for the very reason you say. They generally reflect the "extremes" on either side of the scale ("I Want to have the Captain's Baby" or, "Our lawyers are preparing the lawsuit").

But DW and I read some of the reviews of Voyager yesterday, just for fun. Most were positive but 2 of the really negative reviews were written by people who were on our very same cruise around the Med this past October. I couldn't believe that those two sets of cruisers were even on the same ship/cruise we were on! I can only think that they came on board with an "attitude" to begin with, and that they were determined to FIND things that were "wrong" in order to perpetuate their misery. That's a hell of a lot of money to spend beforehand to intentionally make yourself unhappy. I'd actually rather that they DON'T come back (as they promised), just so they don't inadvertently ruin things for the rest of us!

They were describing totally different (bad) circumstances than what we experienced onboard Voyager. It seemed like if things went "wrong" before they even reached the ship (certainly not within Regent's control), then they came onboard "loaded for bear" and they themselves allowed the smallest detail or shortcoming to cloud the rest of their entire experience for the total duration of the cruise.

Did we find everything "perfect"? Of course not. I thought the prunes on the breakfast buffet could have been a bit colder! But champagne and all other drinks were over flowing, the meals were great (particularly since I and DW didn't have to cook them), the wait staff throughout the ship were all friendly and were trying their hardest to make things comfortable, and the showers were hot every morning. Sewer smells in the plumbing? Just run water down all the sinks to fill up the "traps" and the smell went completely away.

There was plenty of good food, good single malt in the bar, we didn't hit an iceberg, and we saw a ton of wonderful sights! I especially thought the performers (singers, dancers, and band) all worked their butts off to put forth very enjoyable and well-staged nights of entertainment. I hated to have to leave the ship at the end of the cruise!

I would be interested (maybe not) to know how some of these "complainers" live their lives at home? Are the levels of meals, service, and entertainment that they get in their own homes of that high a quality that they can plausibly fault what they experience on Regent? Do they ever get "cut off" in traffic? Do they ever experience a "red" (vice "green") traffic light? They must (not) be a lot of "fun" to be around in their normal at-home, work, and social settings. They must not comprehend that the limited time all of have remaining on Earth is fleeting and precious. Enjoy every day! They should take heart just by the fact that they can afford to go on a Regent Cruise! That alone should make them happier than they seem to be. Best Regards to all.
Ditto! We were on that cruise with you and we had a lovely time as well. Just because I thought Rome and Florence were WAY TOO CROWDED I won't blame Regent I promise! Leave on Navigator next Friday--CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Last edited by debijaynes; January 13th, 2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
Thank you for that.
We are going on Regent for the first time in April (Mariner). I have read these reviews too and got a little nervous about our choice of Line. You have put it all into perspective. There certainly are a few travellers who are determined not to have a good time. Yours is a good, well balanced review and I will be writing my thoughts on our cruise later in the year.
Our very first cruise was on the Mariner, when she was brand new and we were still learning about cruising and everything that goes with it. We absolutely LOVED Regent and the Mariner, and continue to do so.

Be prepared to be spoiled and pampered, have fun, eat well, and enjoy every minute of it!

Happy sailing and looking forward to your review!

~Benita

04/14 Oceania Riviera - TA /Miami to Barcelona
02/13 Regent Mariner - Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro
06/12 Regent Voyager - Reykjavik to Copenhagen
01/12 Regent Mariner - Panama Canal /Ft.Lauderdale to Lima
04/11 Regent Mariner - Rome to Istanbul
08/10 Paul Gauguin - French Polynesia /Society Islands and Tuamotus
09/09 Regent Voyager - Southampton to Monte Carlo
04/05 Regent Navigator - Eastern Caribbean /Ft.Lauderdale to Ft.Lauderdale
08/02 Regent Mariner - Copenhagen to Stockholm

Old January 13th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Interesting AWED, We were on the same cruise last year and absolutely agree with you. In addition several occurrences were beyond Regent's control and I thought the compensation was absolutely appropriate. Incredibly we had a drink with a cruiser who was upset because the whole fare was not refunded in cash. Give me a break!

Old January 13th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlondon View Post
Interesting AWED, We were on the same cruise last year and absolutely agree with you. In addition several occurrences were beyond Regent's control and I thought the compensation was absolutely appropriate. Incredibly we had a drink with a cruiser who was upset because the whole fare was not refunded in cash. Give me a break!
....Yes Old,Venerated and Ancient One, I also heard two couples up in the O lounge b......g about the meager ammount they received. Kidding aside, it sometimes bewilders me how some people are ever able to enjoy life with all the complaints they seem to constantly have. I just wish they had been with me in July of 1952 way up in the North Atlantic aboard DD694, USS INGRAHAM, 5 days of 75+ knot winds and 25 ft. seas with both evaporators broken down....Now that was not a "Luxury" cruise. We had the NEW JERSEY with us as the Flag and they seemed to just skate through. Oh well, back to my sofa, nap time here in the NW.....Got a hunch that Ping Pong is the fuzzy beard amongst the three of us...

Last edited by AWED23; January 13th, 2014 at 04:56 PM.

Old January 13th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wonder if this phenomenon of frivolous complaints about petty things is due to the gross sense of Entitlement that pervades modern life. It certainly exists in the younger generation but I've also noticed it in older people too - people who could and should know better. But then again there are people who are just miserable so and so's and there's no pleasing them. In fact, they are only happy when they are UNhapoy about something and casting a pall of gloom and misery all around them. Not the kind of person I want to cruise with.

My other pet theory is that The Whingers are swept up in the glamour and sophistication of cruising so skilfully portrayed in all the cruise lines glossy brochures. Elegant, beautiful people draped around bars, lounges and staterooms drinking champagne from cut crystal glasses and dining off fine bone china on pristine white linen swathed tables, served by immaculately liveried, smiling personal butlers and waiters. You would think they were the only guests on the ship! Perhaps the realisation that they are sharing the experience with several hundred other sometimes equally demanding people, and that despite everyone's best intentions things do sometimes go wrong comes as a bit of a shock?

Old January 14th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

AWED - Astute observation! Yup, I'm still in my mid-60's so I'm the "fuzzy face". Best Regards to you and Bill

Old January 14th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Well Baggiewrinkle, as was said in "Casablanca", they will always have McDonalds....or was it Wendys'?, maybe Dairy Queen....At 81 it kind of all runs together but thankfully along the way I found patience and tolerance for others unless, of course, they are competitive complainers/whiners....Then it is all bets are off!

Old January 14th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong1 View Post
AWED - Astute observation! Yup, I'm still in my mid-60's so I'm the "fuzzy face". Best Regards to you and Bill
I hope to cruise with both of you in the future. Of course you both are aware that in the REAL Navy, the TIN CAN Navy, we did not have icecream machines and guaranteed hot showers ?....Anchors aweigh my men....Rob

Old January 14th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Rob, Things can be bad on carriers too. On my first cruise on the Essex, just having been commissioned as an Ensign, we were returning from the Med to Mayport. We ran into a storm which resulted in a stove in bow and negative progress over land for 36 hours. Not fun.
Bill

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:39 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvtocruize2 View Post
It was with much reluctance that we booked the Navigator in Aug.2013 for our 3rd cruise to Alaska. There had been so many negative reviews concerning the ship...you name it: service, food, rough water handling, vibration,etc. We have been on the Mariner and Voyager and were anxious to cruise on the Navigator. I am so delighted we made the choice to "hang in there" and give it a go. I daresay this was one of the most enjoyable sailings we have had the pleasure to be a part of. Honestly, I can not think of one negative remark concerning this cruise. I'm of the opinion that a cruise is what you make it. We made some delightful friends and still keep in touch via email from NYC, NC, Ukraine to Australia. The food was every bit beyond excellent, the crew knew our name from day 2 and went out of their way to please. Our young Captain was very friendly and made as few interruptions over the PA system as a courtesy to the passengers.

I could go on and on but the bottom line is we have booked a cruise in Mar 2014 on the Navigator which should be proof positive of our love for this ship. Just hope some of our crew buddies haven't changed ships

Patty
You pretty much summed up the Navigator (from our perspective). Nothing can be done about the ship but the Regent Experience is still there. That is what we want -- we can live with the ship.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rome to Lisbon - 10 nights - Mariner / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016