Baggage question

sailing suzie

I have had several people tell me to not lock my luggage as when it goes through the scan procedure if they should have to open it for anything they would tear open my luggage if it were locked. Is this true??? This just does not sound right to me but again my first cruise...... Help someone.....

Also can you carry a travel iron on board, Seems as if I read you cannot. I am on the Holiday, leaving Mobile Nov 8th. Or does the cruise provide a iron if needed???

Hope these are not stupid questions but I will never know if I don't ask!!! Thanks ,

Sailing Suzie:D

It is true that they'll simply cut the lock off if they need to search your luggage. We use zip ties on our bags now so they can be easily cut off replaced, let's us know if its been opened and also keeps it closed during handling.

Luggage locks are so easy to defeat anyway - if they can't pick it, its too easy to cut right off.

I've never heard of a suitcase being torn open. Have heard of locks being cut. Mine were removed once. The locks weren't damaged and were placed inside my luggage. If you want to lock your luggage, I'd use a TSA accepted lock.

Carnival has different rules than the TSA. According to Carnival's FAQ, each piece of luggage left with the porter must be locked.

Carnival does not permit passengers to bring an iron on board. There are irons in the passenger laundry rooms, though. Anything that's too wrinkled to steam, I pay a few dollars to have pressed.

Hi Suzie. My son and some friends will be on the 11/8 cruise w/you. You'll love the Holiday!

Nina's correct - no irons in cabins. Each deck on the Holiday has a laundry room complete with washers, dryers, ironing board, and iron. (ALSO- just FYI, no candles in cabins!)

About the luggage...when you receive your documents, there will be a nice little "Welcome Aboard" booklet with all kinds of great info. In there, they suggest you lock your luggage before leaving it w/the porters at the pier. And no, they will not 'tear your luggage open". I always lock mine, and have never had a problem.

And about stupid questions, none are stupid if you need an answer. We were all 'newbies' at one time. Just ask whatever you need to!:)

Thanks all, Your help is so greatly appreciated!!! I know I am probably just worrying about things that will take care of themselves. Someone said no candles, ok but I did read somewhere that you need a flashlight or a nightlight. Anymore helpful hints for a first time cruiser???

Hey I looke forward to the cruise and just maybe hubby will love it also. You know he is still not so happy about the suit and tie dinner meal!!!

Hey Cotton , I hope your son and his friends have a great time as well. We are having the late dinner meal, what about them??? We might cross paths somewhere on this cruise.

Again thanks folks for all your help!!

Sailing Suzie

I've never needed a night light. There are light switches easily reached from the bed. Not everyone likes their cabin as dark as I do. The one time I shared a cabin, we kept the bathroom light on. (Drove me crazy.) If you think you'd like one, why not pack an inexpensive night light? Won't take much space/weight in your luggage.

We use the cable ties for locks and used them before 9-11. Be sure to put your scissors in the outside zippered pocket of the luggage so you can cut them off once on board. DO NOT put them in your carry-on or purse -- they will take them at the airport.

I take a nightlight so I can see how to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night!:eek: I never take an iron. If I need something pressed, I send with the room steward for pressing.

Suzie - I have a travel steamer I'll be taking. The reason for the no iron rule is because of the wattage. An iron uses lots of wattage and is a potential fire risk.

Hang your clothes on hangers, put a dry cleaning bag over the hanger, knot the bag at the bottom and fold them gently, leaving air in the bag, the air acts as a cushion and the wrinkles will be fewer. When you unpack, your clothes are ready to be hung. Also, rolling vs. folding clothes helps with wrinkles. Some recommend steaming clothes in the shower, but, imho, it's never really worked for me.

If you go to the "Cruise Fashions" thread, there are many posts regarding wrinkle-free packing.

Good luck and have fun and tell DH to just get over wearing the suit and tie. When he sees all the other men wearing them, he'll be fine.

They the TSA folks say the baggage should be unlocked, but everyone here as provided great suggestions. One of the best is the TSA approved locks, they have the combos to get with those and you can tell if it has been opened. The other great one is the plastic tie ties, we use different colors as white is pretty common and last year when traveling with our softball team all our team bags were checked by TSA, relocked and a note was put inside

travel iron, we always travel with one, just like the folks that bury that booze in the baggage we just wrap it up and leave it in the baggage and have never had a problem

Regards

PEte

Just be aware of what is happening at your gateway airport. Screeners at DTW will not hesitate to cut off the so-called "approved" locks, citing that they do not have the time to mess around with them.

*NO* lock will keep anyone OUT if they truly want into your luggage, but some are better than others at slowing them down.

Save your $ and stick with the cable-ties.

Airwick has a new product out that is two electrical outlets combined with an airfreshener. It plugs into the existing outlet.

Freshen your air and have two outlets for your use!

I just bought one of these today (made by Renuzit)...figured I could combat the sewage smell on Sensation and have an extra outlet too!

Archived