Yokohama - Where to buy wine?

knippsel

Does anyone know if we'll have any luck finding reasonably-priced wine near the pier in Yokohama? Is wine expensive in Japan? Here in California, we're spoiled by an abundance of decent wines we can purchase just about anywhere. What is it like in Japan?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Japan has a very enlightened view on alcohol.

They do not impose an sin taxes on it.

In fact, they don't impose any taxes or duty at all on wines or spirits.

So a bottle of wine in Japan will cost you about half of what you would pay for the same bottle in California (unless the wine is made in California).

Japan has many close connections with Europe, so you will find a very wide selection of European wines there, at very attractive prices.

Champagnes are especially good bargains.

I can buy a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Orange label in Japan for less than my cruise line pays for it wholesale and duty free.

Australia/New Zealand and South America have also made some major marketing campaigns in Japan, so you will find wide selections and great bargains from there as well.

Unfortunately, the American wine producers have never figured out how to successfully market their wines in China and Japan. You will find a small selection of California wines at high prices.

Note: The supermarkets in the basements of many department stores have some very upscale wine shops inside - with amazing selections of wines and spirits. But the alcohol prices there are as high as they are in the USA.

You need to find outlet stores like Yamaya or Don Quijote to get the real bargains.

• 3 weeks later...

Although we believed and had read that wine prices would be high in Japan, we were pleased to find some pleasantly priced wines in Yokohama.

SoGo department store has an excellent selection, but is some distance from the port. China town is close by and walkable. We found a liquor/wine store there with some wines, a bit higher priced than at SoGo and an unorganized display. At both places, we found Chilean wines with which we are familiar.

There's no way I could tell you how to get to the store in Chinatown as it is a maze of streets, but is at least walkable. And sake is, of course available EVERYWHERE.;)

reasonably-priced wine near the pier in Yokohama?

At the end of Yama****a Park near the foot of the passenger ship terminal, there is a convenience store called LAWSON. They have a small but acceptable selection of wine from France, Spain, South Africa, and Italy. Prices range from about 500yen to about 1200 yen.

Lawson is a huge chain and you'll find them everywhere.

Across the street, next to the Silk Museum (also near the foot of the passenger ship terminal) is a shop called "Fit Care DEPOT". They have a decent selection of Chilean wines plus some Spanish and French.

So these two places are probably the closest to the pier and if you're not too picky you'll likely find something you like.

(I'm in Yokohama today so I went looking especially for you... :))

I see I've been edited due to the spelling of an extremely common Japanese proper noun. Yamas-hit-a

Edited by stowaway2k

• 2 months later...

Oh I'm so happy to find this posting as I'm going to be cruising out of Yokohama in two days. I was debating if I should purchase wine in Tokyo and carry it to Yokohama or just purchasing the wine in Yokohama. I'll probably drop off my luggage at the pier then I was planing to do some sightseeing in Yokohama. Actually had the silk museum on my list of sights so picking up a couple of bottles of wine looks easy. I suppose the only issues is that I'm cruising on a Sunday. Will the stores be open on Sunday? Thanks for this great information.

Would someone be able to recommend a nice bottle of sake that I could purchase at Yokohama or somewhere else in Japan and the approximate cost? I know it will be held until the last night of the cruise but that's ok.

Does anyone know if we'll have any luck finding reasonably-priced wine near the pier in Yokohama? Is wine expensive in Japan? Here in California, we're spoiled by an abundance of decent wines we can purchase just about anywhere. What is it like in Japan?

Thanks in advance for any info!

There is a Lawson market very near the pier in Yokohama. It shows on the Google Map. We bought some $6 red wine there last year. Not the greatest. I think they may have had some more expensive choices but it is limited.

Tom

There is a Lawson market very near the pier in Yokohama. It shows on the Google Map. We bought some $6 red wine there last year. Not the greatest. I think they may have had some more expensive choices but it is limited.

Tom

That is why you need to go to Yamaya (best choice) or at least to one of the many Don Quijote outlets around Yokohama.

Edited by BruceMuzz