Amsterdam canal tours

TeanneTX

Anyone use "Those Dam Boat Guys" tours for a canal tour in Amsterdam? Its highly rated in Tripadvisor with small boats and its more personalized. Just wondering if anyone here on CC has had any experience with them. We're going to be in Amsterdam in May '17 for 2 days pre-cruise and a canal tour is on my "must do" list. So wondering if this is a better option than the big tour boats. I'm a little concerned because the boats are open rather than being covered in glass.

Teanne

Anyone use "Those Dam Boat Guys" tours for a canal tour in Amsterdam? Its highly rated in Tripadvisor with small boats and its more personalized. Just wondering if anyone here on CC has had any experience with them. We're going to be in Amsterdam in May '17 for 2 days pre-cruise and a canal tour is on my "must do" list. So wondering if this is a better option than the big tour boats. I'm a little concerned because the boats are open rather than being covered in glass.

Teanne

Yes, we have used them and they are great (we booked a private cruise)! However, this particular visit was in June, last year. We also took an evening wine & cheese canal cruise a few years ago with Holland International (larger boat with glass covering). We booked the boat with the top because it was raining and chilly in May. In fact, during the 5 days we visited in May, it rained 4 of the 5 days. Hope that you have better weather. I love Amsterdam!

Edited by dogs4fun

Haven't used them, but have used Eco-boats which are slightly larger but quite similar open boats. They're electric, so no noise or fumes.

Have also used a glassed-in boat, which is a much inferior experience - looking at Amsterdam from inside a goldfish bowl rather than being in Amsterdam, and unavoidably impersonal. Some of those boats have part sliding roof, but only for mebbe a quarter of the passengers.

Unobstructed views from the open boats, and being smaller they can also use canals that are too small for the goldfish bowls.

The only potential problem is significant rain, and that's a matter of luck.

JB :)

• 9 months later...

Teanne

Teanne- did you end up using them? We're there in a couple of weeks and are interested in a tour, thanks, Rusty

Teanne- did you end up using them? We're there in a couple of weeks and are interested in a tour, thanks, Rusty

Rusty-we did use them and were totally happy with them. Their sort of "unconventional" with their tours. Really fun. I totally recommend them.

Teanne

• 2 months later...

[quote=TeanneTX;53520996

]Rusty-we did use them and were totally happy with them. Their sort of "unconventional" with their tours. Really fun. I totally recommend them.

Teanne

We plan on giving them a try next summer. Did you book ahead of time? Or can you just walk on?