Help with weekend itinerary

We have two free days before our cruise out of Amsterdam and are trying to find a place to go. We will be in Amsterdam for a week post-cruise and will be doing day trips to places close by.

Can anyone recommend a place to stay that is worth more than a day trip?

We would like somewhere simple to reach by train from Schilphol airport. We are looking for a place in The Netherlands.

Thank you.

We are looking for a place in The Netherlands.
Is there any particular reason why you want to restrict yourself to the Netherlands? It's very fast to get to some places in neighbouring countries (eg Antwerp is only 1¼ hours away by train), and it's not as if you'd even know you'd crossed a border.

Why would you stay at the airport, it is so much nicer to stay in Amsterdam city.

Amsterdam Centraal Station has trainconnections into every direction. Not just in The Netherlands (think about the charming towns of Delft, Maastricht, The Hague, Utrecht, and many more).

But also frequent international trains to cities like Cologne, Antwerp, Brussels, Paris, and a lot more.

I'm wondering whether the OP means that after their cruise they will be staying in Amsterdam (presumably in the city) and doing day trips from there; and whether the OP is more asking about their two days pre-cruise stay when they want to go and stay somewhere other than Amsterdam, heading off there directly from the airport.

I'm wondering whether the OP means that after their cruise they will be staying in Amsterdam (presumably in the city) and doing day trips from there; and whether the OP is more asking about their two days pre-cruise stay when they want to go and stay somewhere other than Amsterdam, heading off there directly from the airport.

That is exactly what I was asking. I apologize if the question was not clear.

We have been to the surrounding countries so we would like to see The Netherlands on this trip.

We are staying at a hotel in the center of Amsterdam for 6 days after we arrive back from our cruise and do day trips.

So we're looking for a place to stay for 2 days pre-cruise where it would be great to stay overnight rather than going for a day trip.

i hope it's clear now. ;)

That is exactly what I was asking. I apologize if the question was not clear.

We have been to the surrounding countries so we would like to see The Netherlands on this trip.

We are staying at a hotel in the center of Amsterdam for 6 days after we arrive back from our cruise and do day trips.

So we're looking for a place to stay for 2 days pre-cruise where it would be great to stay overnight rather than going for a day trip.

i hope it's clear now. ;)

For a short stay pre cruise check cities like Leiden, The Hague. Short distance from the airport with excellent trainconnections to the airport and Amsterdam.

For your post stay have a look at these places: in and near the city of Apeldoorn- almost next to the national park Hoge Veluwe https://www.hogeveluwe.nl/en.

You can rent bikes and visit Museum Kröller-Muller: http://krollermuller.nl/visit

Visit also the castle Het Loo: https://www.paleishetloo.nl/en/#2017-06-01

• 1 month later...

Another suggestion... the Openlucht museum on the outskirts of Arnhem. Is an excellent collection of buildings from various time periods, with applicable furnishings etc. It's my favourite day trip! You can easily spend many hours here and get a good overview of Dutch life over the years.

http://www.openairmuseum.nl/good-to-know/

• 4 weeks later...

We arrive in Schilpol at 2:05 pm on a Friday and depart on our cruise to Norway on Sunday. Is it worth it to drag 2 large bags on a train to go somewhere for those two nights or should we say in Amsterdam? We already booked 6 nights in Amsterdam close to Centraal station so we can do day trips when we return from the cruise. Any thoughts?

We arrive in Schilpol at 2:05 pm on a Friday and depart on our cruise to Norway on Sunday. Is it worth it to drag 2 large bags on a train to go somewhere for those two nights or should we say in Amsterdam? We already booked 6 nights in Amsterdam close to Centraal station so we can do day trips when we return from the cruise. Any thoughts?

No is not worth it. Stay in a hotel in Amsterdam near either the cruise terminal or Centraal Station and if you are fit enough the next day take a train to where you want to go. Public transport is excellent and frequent where ever you go.