New Argentine president and reciprocity fee? When should I get pay our fee?

ann1bell

I will be arriving in Buenos Aires on Jan. 9, 2016. When should I pay our 160 dollar pp reciprocity fee? I understand no one has a crystal ball, but should I wait a couple of weeks to see if the new incoming president might change this requirement? How long does it take for this transaction? Is it an instant thing that is done when you pay for it or is there a wait involved? Thanks.

I will be arriving in Buenos Aires on Jan. 9, 2016. When should I pay our 160 dollar pp reciprocity fee? I understand no one has a crystal ball, but should I wait a couple of weeks to see if the new incoming president might change this requirement? How long does it take for this transaction? Is it an instant thing that is done when you pay for it or is there a wait involved? Thanks.

Argentina bases its reciprocity fee on the amount we charge their residents for a Visa to come to the United States. I seriously doubt Argentina will change the reciprocity fee requirement unless the United States first changes its visa requirements for citizens of Argentina.

Chile recently dropped its fee, but only when the US admitted Chile to the Visa Waiver program and did away with the requirement to pay a fee for an interview and background check.

I don't foresee us readmitting Argentina to the program in the near term.

There may be some change in the Blue Market by January. The new president has promised to let their Peso float against other currencies rather than attempting to fix the exchange rate. When and if he keeps this campaign promise, the need for an unofficial market will probably disappear and there will be one exchange rate near the current Blue market rate.

Re your question about when to pay: There is no waiting period, but sometimes there are glitches in the payment system with payment or printing out receipts....Bottom line....you can afford to wait till fairly near the time of your departure, but not till the last minute in case you run into a problem.

Since visiting Argentina last spring I've been following their political situation too. It is hard to envision any changes in the reciprocity fee situation any time soon.

When we paid our fees it only took a few minutes for the payment to process and print the receipt. But as already noted you don't want to wait until last minute and find out that your printer has suddenly gone kerput.