Carnival Magic or RCCL Liberty of the Seas

flannbarr

Planning on cruising out of Galveston on 4/3/16. We are contemplating between the Carnival Magic and RCCL's Liberty of the Seas (sailed on her in 2008).

Traveling with me will be wife, 14 year old son and 76 year old uncle.

Itinerary Comparison:

Magic: Cozumel (been there), Belize (never been there), Roatan (never been there)

Liberty OTS: Cozumel (been there), Falmouth (been there), Grand Cayman (been there)

Price is similar between an inside cabin on Magic and Promenade cabin on Liberty OTS.

Liberty is going thru significant changes in upcoming drydock including new slides that my son will love. He loves the Flowrider.

Magic already has slides and other cool looking activities.

Please share your thoughts with me.

I am also going to post on Carnival's board.

Liberty's sis Freedom was top quality as well. The entertainment is higher end on Royal, less interactive. Liberty has Saturday Night Fever so if you like disco that is a plus. Between the Quest and the ice show and numerous other activities both hosted and self-guided, Royal is amazing. Food choices also broader, but saying that, the Magic has ridiculous deck b-b-q and lunchtime Indian.

That said Carnival tends to master the personal, and the connections to pax, and our two favorite cruises of all time are Navigator, and Magic.

Notable? We have been on Norwegian Breakaway. Amazing ship as well, not in the top four of our cruises. Having been on the Magic twice, I would lean Liberty, but if you have gone on neither, ask yourself if you like a bit more structure and polish or a bit more whimsy and cheese.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are in the same predicament. We are looking into sailing on either the Carnival Magic or the Royal Caribbean LOS. Both with the same itinerary.

Last year we took our very first cruise to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica on the Carnival Freedom. The experience was great but we obviously want to go somewhere different and also try a different ship, possibly even a different cruise line. My concern is that the Magic will be too similar to the Freedom. What is everyone's thoughts?