Galveston - Oil affect Cruises?

Just wondering, if this continues to dump oil into the Gulf all summer, will this affect the Port at all?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Who knows?

No effects as of yet!!!!!!!!!

I seen articles about the computer scenerios of where the oil slick should go. The scerio at least at this time seems to be it going around Florida and going up the east coast. Carolinas within two weeks?

But this seems to be an uncharted science. I just wonder about how do the cruise ships handle this? Do they go different routes to avoid it? The mess can't be good for the propellers or any of their systems. How do they track it?

Also concerned about if there is a hurricane. Does the oil slick get pick up in the storm? Does it disperse and spread? This sucks to have manmade concerns like this. What a mess!

I seen articles about the computer scenerios of where the oil slick should go. The scerio at least at this time seems to be it going around Florida and going up the east coast. Carolinas within two weeks?

But this seems to be an uncharted science. I just wonder about how do the cruise ships handle this? Do they go different routes to avoid it? The mess can't be good for the propellers or any of their systems. How do they track it?

Also concerned about if there is a hurricane. Does the oil slick get pick up in the storm? Does it disperse and spread? This sucks to have manmade concerns like this. What a mess!

As far as the hurricane theories go, our local news has said that the oil could be picked up by the winds and blown airborne as far as 35 mile inland. This would likely kill vegetation everywhere it touches, not to mention coating everything in slime. I live 3 miles from the Gulf, so I would probably get a good dousing if this theory were to play out. :mad:

We're going out of NOLA next April. Hopefully things will be resolved by then.

I'm a retired environmental chemist. The whole oil thing sickens me.

Maybe I dont know what you mean by resolved ... they are saying August at the earliest, most likely fall to stop the oil... until then the oil will just keep coming ..the next top hat they hope will stop more of the oil...though the one on now is doing better than they expected.

Much of the Gulf is doomed, if this isn't contained very shortly I fear the damage will beyond anything any of us can possibly image. Mark my words, look what this tiny hole in the earth is going to do. And a dead eco-system won't be the only issue. Get out your wallets.

Just saw on MSNBC and Fox news that they are now estimating that 30,000 barrels a day are spewing from the well. There are 55 gallons to a barrel so that converts to 1.5 million gallons per day. This is beyond my wildest imagining. I agree with Mohave, the Gulf is doomed.

Just saw on MSNBC and Fox news that they are now estimating that 30,000 barrels a day are spewing from the well. There are 55 gallons to a barrel so that converts to 1.5 million gallons per day. This is beyond my wildest imagining. I agree with Mohave, the Gulf is doomed.

Actually, I think a barrel of oil is calculated at something like 42 gallons. Not sure of the exact figure, but, it's less than 55.

futaba, I stand corrected. 30,000 barrels times 42=1.2 million gallons per day, not 1.5 million gallons per day. Never in my 65 years, did I ever expect an oil spill to leak over a million gallons per day. This certainly does make Exxon-Valdez look small in comparison. I'm glad my Dad didn't live to see this, as he loved fishing in the Gulf so much.

Put 10 drops of the "shean" into 10 gallons of the finest spring water you've ever tasted and take a swallow. You will not take a second swallow. 10 drops to 10 gallons.

Also put 10 drops in a swimming pool and it will shean the entire pool...

• 1 month later...

Archived