night before cruise

monkll

We are arriving in Orlando on Halloween around 4.. Any sugg on where to stay and if maybe we should stay near downtown disney so kids can have fun..OR stay close to airport. Which hotels do you recommend?

We are arriving in Orlando on Halloween around 4.. Any sugg on where to stay and if maybe we should stay near downtown disney so kids can have fun..OR stay close to airport. Which hotels do you recommend?

Down Town Disney or international drive are better a hotel with a big pool for example to please the children.

Even the Contemporary WDW resort where you can walk into the Magic Kingdom or go to Chef Mickeys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

The airport area is closer to the cruise terminal, but has less "exciting" hotels.

Consider what you want to do or accomplish that night. It sounds like you are planning on a car, so I won't go into the transportation options in detail.

You are getting in at 4. Allow an hour to collect your luggage and either get rental car or hotel shuttle. So now it is 5. Were you up at 6 am to catch a plane? Is everyone exhausted? Or do you want something fun?

In the MCO area, you'll have a shorter drive in the morning. Many hotels will have a pool, but little else for the kids. Many will have complimentary breakfast. A few (Hyatt Place NW, Wyndham, Hampton Inn) offer packages which include ROUND TRIP cruise transportation at a price less than on e way on DCL transfers. These hotels are great if you desire is to have dinner, watch an hour of TV, and get a good night of sleep before heading to the port in the morning.

The WDW area (on or off property)...a few off property have complimentary breakfast. You will need transportation unless staying on property (in which case you can do Magical Express). You could do Downtown Disney or a character dinner (Chef Mickey's or 1901 Park Fare.) The dinner is expensive, the traffic is generally bad...but you'll have a little Disney before the cruise. Most of the hotels have decent pools. In general, you'll pay a little more than the MCO area.

Third choice--get a hotel near the cruise port. The ones nearest the port are the Residence Inn, Country Inn and Suites, and Radisson. Complimentary breakfast at Residence and Country. These are relatively newer and very well maintained. Radisson has best pool but in my experience, maintenance has been spotty and the rooms were sometime lacking. No breakfast unless package specifically includes it. Advantage--no driving in the morning. You can get up early and watch the ship come in if you wish. The ocean is there as well as the pools for the kids.

Personal experience--we have to get up early as there are few/no direct flights. By the time we are in Orlando, we just want to "be there" overnight, have dinner, sleep. For us, this isn't the time for a big night. We've done EACH of the options at least a couple of times. I don't like to drive to the port area after dark, although it is an easy drive. We go to the Disney area IF we arrive early enough to enjoy something Disney. If not, we stay in the MCO area, enjoy complimentary breakfast, and head to the terminal in the morning in a lazy fashion.

i was thinking of staying at hyatt at the airport and taking the bus to downtown disney and having dinner there an walk around a bit. Im hoping they celebrate halloween there? and then taking the bus back... hopefully in bed by 10:30 to get up refreshed and on to our cruise that morning:))

Edited by monkll

i was thinking of staying at hyatt at the airport and taking the bus to downtown disney and having dinner there an walk around a bit. Im hoping they celebrate halloween there? and then taking the bus back... hopefully in bed by 10:30 to get up refreshed and on to our cruise that morning:))

What bus?

at the mco airport..n the website it said $2 per person and gives times of pick up...

OK, I was just making sure that you weren't thinking you could take the Magical Express.

I looked it up, is that the one that takes 2 hours and 43 minutes from airport to DTD?

That's the city bus...you're braver than I am.

Are you using DCL transfers to get to the cruise terminal?

OK, this may be a stupid question, but what matters most to you--cost? convenience? Do you care whether you need to drive or not (some people hate driving on vacation)?

I would not stay at the Hyatt MCO and take a bus to Downtown Disney. That is just not gonna happen in my world.

If I wanted to go to Downtown Disney, I'd stay at a less costly hotel (Hyatt Place NW is really nice) and get a rental car. And that same rental car could be used to take me to the cruise terminal in the morning, again saving me a large chunk of change.

The ONLY way I would stay at the Hyatt MCO is if my priority was convenience and I had no intention of leaving the hotel. The hotel does have a decent pool, and if you are using Disney transportation, it is very convenient. BUT it is very costly, and I have too many cheaper options. AND if I wanted to go to Downtown Disney, sorry, but I wouldn't touch the city bus. Besides, there are at least 3 of you, right (you mentioned kids). That's $6 or $8 each way on the city bus. For $30, I can have a rental car for 24 hours....which will get me to Downtown Disney and to the cruise terminal. Oh yeah, that will also save me the $35 per person for DCL transfers. And I wouldn't be paying to park a rental car at the Hyatt MCO.

I priced it today. For my dates, including tax, I can get a full sized car from Budget for $32 including all taxes. Of course, you'll have to add gas and about $5 in tolls to the cruise terminal.

wow..your good!! lol i didnt realize it would take 2 hours to get there... i read 20-25 minutes.. if i rent a car, are there rental companies at the cruise port??

This was a last minute thought.. Initially i was staying at the hyatt at mco and getting transfers from happy limo for $200 round trip for all 4 for a town car. I just feel a little bad about them missing halloween!! So i figured DTW wasnt too far and they could see Disney on Halloween..

wow..your good!! lol i didnt realize it would take 2 hours to get there... i read 20-25 minutes.. if i rent a car, are there rental companies at the cruise port??

This was a last minute thought.. Initially i was staying at the hyatt at mco and getting transfers from happy limo for $200 round trip for all 4 for a town car. I just feel a little bad about them missing halloween!! So i figured DTW wasnt too far and they could see Disney on Halloween..

Yes, there are drop off car locations near the cruise terminal. Hertz is closest, Budget is a block or so farther away. Thrifty/Dollar is about 5 miles down the road. We usually use Budget, but honestly I base it on cost. I usually find Budget to be cheapest. Also, they run 2 shuttles to the cruise terminal (complimentary). The drop off code for Budget is CC5. When you look up car places, they are listed as CAPE Canaveral or Cocoa Beach. If you do a search for Port Canaveral, it will show nothing.

Discount codes for car rentals are available at mousesavers.com and rentalcodes.com.

You still haven't told us what matters most--cost? convenience?

What I would do if I wanted to go to Downtown Disney--stay at a hotel near MCO (Hyatt Place and Country Inn and Suites are both nice with decent pools and above average breakfasts). I've stayed at both and would be happy with either. Country Inn had choc chip and sugar cookies in the lobby! Do a one way car rental from MCO with drop off at Cape Canaveral. Drive from MCO to the hotel and check in, then go to Downtown Disney. Come back to the hotel. In the morning, have breakfast and drive to the cruise terminal. Drop off one adult, kids, and luggage. Drive to car rental location. Driver takes complimentary shuttle back (remember to keep your license to get into terminal). While driver is returning car, spouse can be checking in for cruise! When driver returns, needs only photo (if not on file) and is handed KTTW card--provided spouse had appropriate ID to check in driver.

Cost--Hyatt MCO (about $200 per night) Happy limo $200 Transportation to Downtown Dis--$16 Breakfast cruise morning ???

Stay at Country Inn and Suites $100 per night. Includes breakfast. Rental car to port--I typically pay between $30 and $50 depending on codes. $5 in tolls, $10 in gas. There is a Racetrac station right next to Budget. A little more for gas if you go to Downtown Disney. Tip for porters at terminal.

My actual booked costs for my upcoming cruise--

Country Inn and Suites (3 people, 2 queen beds, non-smoking $84+ taxes= $95. Budget rental with Hilton Honors code full sized car = $34. So 3 of us will stay and have breakfast + transportation for less than a stay at the Hyatt MCO.

If you do stay at the Hyatt MCO, do not eat there. Breakfast is $15.99 per person (buffet). Go tot the MCO food court for lots of options.

And you can drive to Downtown Disney in about 30 minutes unless you hit bad traffic.

Edited by moki'smommy

Down Town Disney or international drive are better a hotel with a big pool for example to please the children.

Even the Contemporary WDW resort where you can walk into the Magic Kingdom or go to Chef Mickeys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By the time they got to the Magic Kingdom it would be closing time. Chef Mickey's sucks.

How are you planning on getting to the port?

I'd book a Disney hotel, take Magical Express to get there (free) and take the kids trick or treating in Downtown Disney. The next day take the cruise line bus to the port.

Another option would be renting a car and staying at the DTD Hilton and walking across the street.

By the way, don't take LYNX. It will take 2+ hours and expose your children to some interesting parts (and people) of Orlando.

Edited by ducklite

no the $200 was roundtrip transfer from mco to port. And breakfast was included in the deal from the hyatt for both my husband and I. Just pay for kids..I was looking at the hyatt place as well. they were a little cheaper. I guess convenience is more important. I have a 3 year old, so there ya go!! I stayed at country inn near the port last year before our cruise..and had a bad experience..dirty bathroom and no milk for my toddler at 9:00 at night which i think is ridiculous... Anyway, thanks soooo much for your ideas guys!! I will let you know what we decide, but more than likely we are going to nix the DTD idea..

If convenience mattered most to me, I'd stay at the Hyatt MCO and let the kids play in the pool, sleep, and go to the cruise terminal.

For $10, the Hyatt people will even claim your luggage from the airport luggage carousel and bring it to your room.

And if convenience mattered, skip Downtown Disney. Eat dinner in the airport--there are lots of fast food type places in the food court, 2 or 3 Chili's type restaurants, and 2 upscale restaurants.

A note about Downtown Disney. I'd pass on a visit in the very near future. We are annual pass holders and DD is one of our favorite night spots. However we were there last weekend and its so torn up and walled off from construction we are not going back for some time. its just not fun right now, as all of the views are blocked and too many diversions on the sidewalks. However will be great in about 12 months!

The airport area is closer to the cruise terminal' date=' but has less "exciting" hotels.

Consider what you want to do or accomplish that night. It sounds like you are planning on a car, so I won't go into the transportation options in detail.

You are getting in at 4. Allow an hour to collect your luggage and either get rental car or hotel shuttle. So now it is 5. Were you up at 6 am to catch a plane? Is everyone exhausted? Or do you want something fun?

In the MCO area, you'll have a shorter drive in the morning. Many hotels will have a pool, but little else for the kids. Many will have complimentary breakfast. [b']A few (Hyatt Place NW, Wyndham, Hampton Inn) offer packages which include ROUND TRIP cruise transportation at a price less than on e way on DCL transfers. These hotels are great if you desire is to have dinner, watch an hour of TV, and get a good night of sleep before heading to the port in the morning.[/b]

The WDW area (on or off property)...a few off property have complimentary breakfast. You will need transportation unless staying on property (in which case you can do Magical Express). You could do Downtown Disney or a character dinner (Chef Mickey's or 1901 Park Fare.) The dinner is expensive, the traffic is generally bad...but you'll have a little Disney before the cruise. Most of the hotels have decent pools. In general, you'll pay a little more than the MCO area.

Third choice--get a hotel near the cruise port. The ones nearest the port are the Residence Inn, Country Inn and Suites, and Radisson. Complimentary breakfast at Residence and Country. These are relatively newer and very well maintained. Radisson has best pool but in my experience, maintenance has been spotty and the rooms were sometime lacking. No breakfast unless package specifically includes it. Advantage--no driving in the morning. You can get up early and watch the ship come in if you wish. The ocean is there as well as the pools for the kids.

Personal experience--we have to get up early as there are few/no direct flights. By the time we are in Orlando, we just want to "be there" overnight, have dinner, sleep. For us, this isn't the time for a big night. We've done EACH of the options at least a couple of times. I don't like to drive to the port area after dark, although it is an easy drive. We go to the Disney area IF we arrive early enough to enjoy something Disney. If not, we stay in the MCO area, enjoy complimentary breakfast, and head to the terminal in the morning in a lazy fashion.

Our daughter did some research and said there was a Marriott in the airport area that offered transportation from the airport and then transportation in the morning to the cruise terminal (not sure about breakfast).

Do the hotels you mentioned also pick you up from the airport?

Our daughter did some research and said there was a Marriott in the airport area that offered transportation from the airport and then transportation in the morning to the cruise terminal (not sure about breakfast).

Do the hotels you mentioned also pick you up from the airport?

Every hotel that I am aware of in the MCO area with a 2.5* or above rating has transportation to and from MCO at no additional fee. A few have a spot on the courtesy phone bank, but most operate on a system where you call them and they send the van to the airport. One driver explained to us that they are charged by the minute for time on airport property, so they want you to have your luggage and be ready to leave; they are usually parked somewhere just off property when not en route.

Yes, the ones I specifically named have a courtesy van to and from the airport.

If you are returning to the airport, most depart the hotels on a schedule of every 20 o 30 minutes (ask at the front desk for specific times). Some hotels allow you to sign up in advance for a time, others are on a "first come, first served" basis.

A note about Downtown Disney. I'd pass on a visit in the very near future. We are annual pass holders and DD is one of our favorite night spots. However we were there last weekend and its so torn up and walled off from construction we are not going back for some time. its just not fun right now, as all of the views are blocked and too many diversions on the sidewalks. However will be great in about 12 months!

I agree. I was going to suggest trick or treating there until you reminded me about our recent experience. Were AP holders also, and I took my wife horseback riding at Ft Wilderness about 2 weeks ago. We got done at about 1230 ish, and we decided to go to DTD to have lunch at Planet Hollywood. It took us probably close to an hour, to find a parking spot, then find a clear path to the restaurant. I know it took us close to 25 minutes to walk from my truck. On the upside, is that PH was just about empty. We walked right in. For the forseeable future, well go to Hard Rock at Universal.

And they pick up your luggage in the morning at your room and take it to the Disney cruise-ship bus and you don't have to worry about it. Very convenient

This is only true if you are using DCL transfers for your transportation. I believe that OP said they have booked a limo service--in which case they will need to get their luggage to the limo or call a bellman to assist them.

What about staying at WDW hotel and go to Mickeys Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom?

We are going to be on the same cruise. We are staying with Family so the kids can go trick or treating there.

I have done MNSSHP 2 times and loved it. I did hear Halloween night is busy there.