Fascination with fascinators!

Artemis

This is a note to self and to "my fellow Americans" (and other non-Commonwealth Cunarders) of the female persuasion: Don't forget to indulge in a pre-voyage shopping excursion for a fashionable fascinator!

I confess to feeling a bit like a walking wardrobe malfunction the night of the Royal Ascot Ball during our recent QM2 crossing. The vast majority of ladies from the Commonwealth were bedecked and bedazzled with fascinators (from pre-dinner cocktails through the night's entertainment and activities). It was truly a stunning sight to behold, and I vow to come prepared next voyage to join the fashionable parade!

(Aside to the Fashion Police: Yes, I've been informed that the real Royal Ascot now insists on proper hats rather than fascinators, and I did see a few gorgeous versions on display. But after chatting with several lovely women who chose a fascinating adornment, I concluded that any guilt over violating the rule at sea was assuaged by both the renewed enthusiasm for wearing fascinators since Kate and William's wedding and the practicalities of transport!)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

In the US women just don't wear dress hats as frequently as the women in the UK, except for some special events like Central Park Conservancy Luncheon or Derby Day at Churchill Downs. (The exception being African-American church women who keep the US millinery business from total extinction.)

It used to be that the right hat was the finishing touch to a woman's outfit (Example: the Queen). Now many are so extreme that the hat draws the center of attention (Example: Princess Beatrice's "lobster claw"). And, many women's clothing stores in the US don't even carry dress hats or fascinators. One would have to seek them out or search online.

Given all those excuses, an American woman has to be highly motivated to bring a dress hat on board. The ones groaning over formal wear certainly won't. It's a shame though because we let the British royal family have all the fun.

Maybe you're on to something. Those of us who enjoy dressing up on board can do out part to make the miscreants feel out of place. Perhaps they'll either conform or sail elsewhere. (Not likely, but one can wish.)

Cunardaddict, so happy to hear your wife's "thumbs up!"

David, all I can say is, the women aboard a few weeks ago did not share your view (nor did the women I saw dining at a gentlemen's club in London).

BlueRiband, indeed, I acquired a lovely hat when I went to the Derby years ago, which underscores my "when in Rome..." desire to don a fascinator next crossing! I checked before originally posting, and it's not that difficult to find fascinators at retail in the US--most of the major department stories carry them (although not a wide selection), and there's always the fun of vintage expeditions. Online, etsy may be a fertile shopping ground, as well as eBay (and Pintarest for ideas), but for greater choice, a quick check confirms UK-based retailers include them in their online stores, and I've generally found that international delivery rates are reasonable in our "world is flat" day and age. My only quandary is making an age-appropriate selection! All the ads feature young women, of course; yet on QM2, I saw many beautiful examples on women of all ages. Having passed the half century mark, I'm certainly looking for something "elegant for the mature woman," LOL.

Edited by Artemis

Cunardaddict, so happy to hear your wife's "thumbs up!"

David, all I can say is, the women aboard a few weeks ago did not share your view (nor did the women I saw dining at a gentlemen's club in London).

BlueRiband, indeed, I acquired a lovely hat when I went to the Derby years ago, which underscores my "when in Rome..." desire to don a fascinator next crossing! I checked before originally posting, and it's not that difficult to find fascinators at retail in the US--most of the major department stories carry them (although not a wide selection), and there's always the fun of vintage expeditions. Online, etsy may be a fertile shopping ground, as well as eBay (and Pintarest for ideas), but for greater choice, a quick check confirms UK-based retailers include them in their online stores, and I've generally found that international delivery rates are reasonable in our "world is flat" day and age. My only quandary is making an age-appropriate selection! All the ads feature young women, of course; yet on QM2, I saw many beautiful examples on women of all ages. Having passed the half century mark, I'm certainly looking for something "elegant for the mature woman," LOL.

Artemis, if you can't find a fascinator that strikes your fancy in the shops, you could make your own in the style and color you want. How to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Cp2zyifaY

For inspiration, google fascinators mother of the bride images. Cheers, -S.

Oh, to be crafty! But I appreciate the keyword search idea, which should yield some age-appropriate options. Thanks, Salacia! (I envy all the retail options you have in NYC, but am not keen on spending my visits to your fair city on shopping jaunts. I know, I know, I am an outlier; but I'd rather be in a museum or walking Central Park/The High Line).

Thanks for the news, Im_Reading! You were clearly "in the know," David. Although I saw no evidence the fascination was dead this summer, I am duly warned to delay my shopping adventure and check trends the next time we cross. (sniff, sniff ... I was rather looking forward to trying one.)

Artemis, if you can't find a fascinator that strikes your fancy in the shops, you could make your own in the style and color you want. How to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Cp2zyifaY

For inspiration, google fascinators mother of the bride images. Cheers, -S.

Great link, thanks.

But how do you get the fancy hair piece to the ship? Since I am pushing three quarters of a century, I seem to carry as much medicine as clothes so my carry on is packed and my second piece for the plane cabin is my camera case/purse. The idea of the themed balls sounds like fun though we don't dance we love to watch good dancers and DH actually likes that kind of dress up.

I can see making the masked ball or what ever it is called work, but the hat? How you keep from messing it up in a suitcase?

We will be doing part of the QE world cruise to get us to Sydney in the new year and then doing the July 2 Southampton TA to get us home. I assume that we will have a chance at participate in these activities on one or both cruises.

Great link, thanks.

But how do you get the fancy hair piece to the ship? Since I am pushing three quarters of a century, I seem to carry as much medicine as clothes so my carry on is packed and my second piece for the plane cabin is my camera case/purse. The idea of the themed balls sounds like fun though we don't dance we love to watch good dancers and DH actually likes that kind of dress up.

I can see making the masked ball or what ever it is called work, but the hat? How you keep from messing it up in a suitcase?

We will be doing part of the QE world cruise to get us to Sydney in the new year and then doing the July 2 Southampton TA to get us home. I assume that we will have a chance at participate in these activities on one or both cruises.

cwn, you're welcome. I bought a very small headpiece (a silk hibiscus surrounded by turquoise feathers) in the Caribbean a few years ago on a QM2 trip. Packing for the return home, I put the headpiece - I don't know if it qualifies as a fascinator - in the crown of my straw beach hat, layered some clothes over and under it, and packed that in my suitcase. I was very surprised that it survived, especially since it was an inexpensive item. Those feathers must be really strong :)

Anyway, your comment made me wonder if it wouldn't be a good suggestion for Cunard to offer a "make a fascinator" session on board. Of course there would need to be a charge to cover the cost of the instructor and supplied materials, but I think it might attract much interest. Personally, I think it would be a lot of fun. Might even be a occasion for Cunard to sell a glass or two of champagne. :D Cheers, -S

cwn, you're welcome. I bought a very small headpiece (a silk hibiscus surrounded by turquoise feathers) in the Caribbean a few years ago on a QM2 trip. Packing for the return home, I put the headpiece - I don't know if it qualifies as a fascinator - in the crown of my straw beach hat, layered some clothes over and under it, and packed that in my suitcase. I was very surprised that it survived, especially since it was an inexpensive item. Those feathers must be really strong :)

Anyway, your comment made me wonder if it wouldn't be a good suggestion for Cunard to offer a "make a fascinator" session on board. Of course there would need to be a charge to cover the cost of the instructor and supplied materials, but I think it might attract much interest. Personally, I think it would be a lot of fun. Might even be a occasion for Cunard to sell a glass or two of champagne. :D Cheers, -S

I will drink to that suggestion and attend if it happens...I love crafts especially if it produces something useful...

That brings up the question does Cunard have craft type classes on Queens, seems like I remember that the Vistafjord had a few many years ago.

I will drink to that suggestion and attend if it happens...I love crafts especially if it produces something useful...

That brings up the question does Cunard have craft type classes on Queens, seems like I remember that the Vistafjord had a few many years ago.

cwn, I once attended a watercolor class on QM2. There was no charge for attendance or materials, so I can't complain - but neither can I recommend it. I've read that the classes that charge a fee are better, and I suppose that makes sense. (Just to mention, my undergraduate degree is a Bachelor of Fine Arts, so I'm harder to please when it comes to painting classes. Nevertheless, the materials supplied in the free watercolor class were miserable, i.e. a mix of cheap acrylic paint and cheap watercolor paint. The paper might have been good for a drawing class, but not at all suitable for watercolors. The nylon brushes supplied were the type given out in kindergarten class for use with poster paints. It would be darn near impossible to experience the wonderfulness of watercolor painting under such circumstances! (Sorry! <end of rant>):o -S.

Edit to add: Wow! you sailed on the Vistafjord! I've only read about that ship - what a beauty!

Edited by Salacia

If you were bringing your item from home.......a plastic container of the right size would work, if the item is small enough such as a fascinator. I've been looking at what I call a cocktail hat for the last year and never was ready to commit. After reading what Im_Reading posted, I guess I lost my time frame.

Then again, I've always felt that the US is about 1 1/2 years behind the trends so we would probably be forgiven as usual. :). I know that even thinking about bringing one extra item seems out of the question, but I find that if I want it badly enough....there's room. :)

cwn, I once attended a watercolor class on QM2. There was no charge for attendance or materials, so I can't complain - but neither can I recommend it. I've read that the classes that charge a fee are better, and I suppose that makes sense. (Just to mention, my undergraduate degree is a Bachelor of Fine Arts, so I'm harder to please when it comes to painting classes. Nevertheless, the materials supplied in the free watercolor class were miserable, i.e. a mix of cheap acrylic paint and cheap watercolor paint. The paper might have been good for a drawing class, but not at all suitable for watercolors. The nylon brushes supplied were the type given out in kindergarten class for use with poster paints. It would be darn near impossible to experience the wonderfulness of watercolor painting under such circumstances! (Sorry! <end of rant>):o -S.

Edit to add: Wow! you sailed on the Vistafjord! I've only read about that ship - what a beauty!

Yes, she was beautiful! We did our first ever cruise on her in the Med and Black Sea and it was wonderful....the passengers were a very an international mix. We had a table for 8 with the chief engineer, a delightful man from Norway I think, two Americans and three English who had cruised together for 25 years as three couples but had each lost a spouse. We were the youngest on the ship! Later we did a TA on her before Cunard sold her. I loved the classic lines and the fabulous food...really fine dinning. It was traveling in a style I had only read about. Unfortunately we still had children at home that took time and money!

Little rants allowed:) That's to bad about the watercolor class. I have attended some fun needle craft classes in the past, but most had their own materials. There was one fairly good watercolor class many years ago taught by one of the speakers, but there may have a small fee for supplies, don't remember.

I always took any art classes I could (for fun) even though my degree is in chemistry and math. I'm no artist but like to dabble. I am sorry that many of the little extras on the ships are slowly being taken away...guess they have to do something to keep the prices attractive.

If you were bringing your item from home.......a plastic container of the right size would work, if the item is small enough such as a fascinator. I've been looking at what I call a cocktail hat for the last year and never was ready to commit. After reading what Im_Reading posted, I guess I lost my time frame.

Then again, I've always felt that the US is about 1 1/2 years behind the trends so we would probably be forgiven as usual. :). I know that even thinking about bringing one extra item seems out of the question, but I find that if I want it badly enough....there's room. :)

That's true about making it fit, most of the time anyway. We travel with just two checked pieces as neither of us can handle more than two pieces...been there and the arguments aren't worth it.

I may be somewhat out of style next year, but the idea of a fascinator sounds like fun to design and wear....we see how it works out.

The idea of a class to make your own is brilliant! And ditto for the masquerade masks! FYI, Salacia, they charged $35 for watercolouring class materials this time, so hopefully the situation is much improved from your last experience. And cwn, I looked through my Daily Programmes from the 28 July crossing, and unless I missed something, the only crafty instruction I spotted in addition to watercolours was "flower art" for an unspecified fee. There was free scarf tying and napkin folding and a daily social gathering for knitters and needleworkers (sans instruction). It would be nice if there were more offerings--I guess it depends on who they can choose from to book for craft instruction.

I expect time will tell whether the fascinator is truly gone. It's understandable that a milliner of bespoke head fashion would pronounce it dead once it's become a mass market item--there's always that tension between haute couture and prêt-à-porter. But the Chanel suit, Diane Von Faustenberg wrap dress and other iconic fashions have endured in spite of ready-to-wear, and a quick online search of the history of the headwear we are calling a fascinator reveals it has been with us a long time...and for good reason, as a small adornment by whatever name is so much more appealing than a hat in terms of not interfering (much) with your hairstyle or head carriage, not to mention the ease of packing for traveling fashionistas.

Speaking of which, thanks for the great plastic container tip, brigittetom!

PS, I had to laugh over your observation that we Americans are always about 1-1/2 years behind when it comes to fashion, brigittetom. So true! In that vein, it is amusing to note that the milliner declaring an end to fascinators did so in the spring of 2013...I guess his pronouncement didn't hold much sway with the ladies of the Empire I observed in full fascinator fancy nearly 1-1/2 yeas later in August 2014!

Artemis, Thanks for all the information on the activities...sounds like there will be some fun things to do. Yes, some classes like you mention would be great fun and worth a fee.

Fashion.... long skirts have come and gone several times...sometimes I am in style but mostly not...I will enjoy my hair piece either way.:D

Artemis, I just got lucky with my guess. I've been to Europe enough times where I think "what the heck are they wearing" such as skinny jeans. Low and behold..here we are. :) I really liked your review.....especially informative.

I'm not a good crafter...don't have the knack, but I also wish that they had more to offer. I went to the napkin folding class, which was held in G32. Unfortunately there are too many pillars and I couldn't see what he was doing. This was one of those classes where they just stuck someone with it at the last minute apparently. He ran in late and wasn't prepared. I went to a craft class on Celebrity once. They offered glitter, cotton balls, toothpicks, and little felt pieces. I mean really. I ended up with a little lamb from hell.

I met a couple last year that was teaching the water color classes. I also wish I would have made time to take them. She was extremely talented and copied one of the pictures on the wall and gave it to me. I framed it and now it's a lovely souvineer.

cwn....it seems that now we are to believe that anything goes...I don't see how you can ever be out of style with a longer or shorter skirt. I think it has everything to do with what you know looks good on YOU. I'm guessing you won't be going for the mini so I think you are good to go. I also think it's fun to have little hair accessories. I've been doing a little feather number for NYE on the ship and I thought it looked good. After seeing one large "head gear" item, I thought I was safe to play a little. :D

brigittetom, I LOL over your little lamb! I'm not too crafty at home alone, but I like to try in a class situation. (The idea of adding spirits to the mix sounds great, haha!) I have had fun with ceramic painting, print making, calligraphy and jewelry making at sea. I have to say the napkin folding was excellent this time. Now that we are all trying to be green and using cloth linens, I was keen to learn some nifty napkin tricks. The Social Hostess led our session. She was totally delightful and quite adept at teaching. So sorry your session was such a drag, but you might give it a go next time in case you are lucky as I was!

The Social Hostess led our session. She was totally delightful and quite adept at teaching. So sorry your session was such a drag, but you might give it a go next time in case you are lucky as I was!

Absolutely, I'm not easily discouraged by a bad session. Actually, with all the things you've listed, I'm going to pay more attention next time. The G32 session was held at 3;30, in a very stark room. No spirits. Actually, I think that would be a very good idea. Make a few of the classes more of a social event...in the right venue. On a TA, I'm sure there would be a nice response. :)

Edited by brigittetom

I always take lots of head wear. Fascinators, I have dozens of them and I take them all on a world cruise as I do more world cruises than short ones. I also take a hat for the Royal Ascot Ball. I made my own this year from left over fabric from the dress I had made to measure . I carry my fascinators on board in a shoe boxes as I have to fly to get to the ship as I am not in the UK. They travel well in shoe boxes.

This is the hat I made myself out of spare material. I wore it then throw it away:) Won't need it again.

001_zps9de51f6b.jpg

This is a large fascinator wore this for Royal Ascot Ball on QM2 2012 world cruise.

0060a1be-efeb-4c9f-a038-72eb01667e6e_zps6d590b6e.jpg

Edited by maggiemou

I take a fascinator with me (but generally forget to wear it). It goes in a plastic kitchen-type container, along with my mask. I have a large suitcase so there's space for it. As for weight, it's very light.

Queen Victoria generally has a free session on the day of the Ascot Ball. Crepe paper and cardboard are provided. People make fantastic headgear.

As for masks, I now wear a beautiful filigree one that I purchased in Venice. Before that, I used to make my own. Buy a mask shape from a craft shop. Cover it in tissue paper or fabric to match your outfit. Add some lace or net in the same colour to create a textured effect. (I use glue over the front of the mask. Duct tape on the back holds down all the edges.) You can also brush diluted PVA glue over the tissue paper to harden it and make it shiny. After that you have the fun of decorating it. I put sequins around the edges and feathers in various places or add a fabric flower. You can even add some glue to the feathers and brush on glitter. Here are some that my friends and I made some years ago, ready for cruises.

203584598_Dianesmask.jpg.c3b39ce26b3c2d385bb10d37a0d8a209.jpg

DSC06253.jpg.117ee1c333384613e5f78af652c55192.jpg

1871120185_Olivia2.jpg.740c15d3322f6eec0a7ba73c408e81e4.jpg

403263453_Olivia1.jpg.ade16ee68cfb07a3b5aa96b40bfa5617.jpg

Sharon.jpg.528585d207d382f0b95d156db5dbb20d.jpg

Edited by fantasy51