re alamo car hire fort lauderdale airport shuttle?

fatjay

hi guys we are in the USA for a week before our cruise and we are returning our hire car(alamo) to fort lauderdale airport is there a free shuttle to the port from the airport or is it uber/lytf taxi and an idea of the cost etc thanks in advance Jason

I am wanting to know the answer to the same question. We are renting a car for just the day from FLL. Our flight doesn't leave until 10pm from FLL when we return into port Everglades. Renting a car seemed the best solution for luggage and transportation for the day. Will Alamo shuttle me to FLL to pick up my car?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am wanting to know the answer to the same question. We are renting a car for just the day from FLL. Our flight doesn't leave until 10pm from FLL when we return into port Everglades. Renting a car seemed the best solution for luggage and transportation for the day. Will Alamo shuttle me to FLL to pick up my car?

Following. I have the exact same question.

You would be better off renting from Budget which has a rental location just off 17th Street across the parking lot from the Renaissance Hotel.

You would be better off renting from Budget which has a rental location just off 17th Street across the parking lot from the Renaissance Hotel.

Just out of curiosity, if Alamo has a shuttle and is so much cheaper, why would someone be better off renting from Budget? Honest question

Just out of curiosity, if Alamo has a shuttle and is so much cheaper, why would someone be better off renting from Budget? Honest question

My experience has been Budget is cheaper overall. You may get a lower daily rate from rental agencies at FLL, but they add extra airport fees and taxes onto the final price. You need to look at the final price, not the daily rental rate.

Besides, catching the Budget shuttle from Port Everglades is much easier, quicker and a shorter trip.

Edited by Lido_Deck

My experience has been Budget is cheaper overall. You may get a lower daily rate from rental agencies at FLL, but they add extra airport fees and taxes onto the final price. You need to look at the final price, not the daily rental rate.

Besides, catching the Budget shuttle from Port Everglades is much easier, quicker and a shorter trip.

I know you probably don't have an exact number, but do you have a ballpark number of the fees they charge? I need a car a little longer than the OP but would still be getting it from FLL. We would get a car when we get to FLL and have it a few days then return it to FLL before the cruise then shuttle to port. Then after the cruise need a rental car again for a few days then will return it. If it's only a few bucks I won't worry about it. Just trying to get the best deal here.

BTW apologies to the OP for jumping on your thread.

I know you probably don't have an exact number, but do you have a ballpark number of the fees they charge? I need a car a little longer than the OP but would still be getting it from FLL. We would get a car when we get to FLL and have it a few days then return it to FLL before the cruise then shuttle to port. Then after the cruise need a rental car again for a few days then will return it. If it's only a few bucks I won't worry about it. Just trying to get the best deal here.

BTW apologies to the OP for jumping on your thread.

Why don't you use the rental car agency web sites or Orbitz, Travelocity, Kayak or whatever to run faux bookings until you get a final price?

If you are flying into FLL, rent at FLL and pay the extra fees and taxes. If you are coming into Port Everglades then rent from the locations near Port Everglades instead of FLL. Alamo, though, only has one location in Ft Lauderdale and that is at FLL

Why don't you use the rental car agency web sites or Orbitz, Travelocity, Kayak or whatever to run faux bookings until you get a final price?

If you are flying into FLL, rent at FLL and pay the extra fees and taxes. If you are coming into Port Everglades then rent from the locations near Port Everglades instead of FLL. Alamo, though, only has one location in Ft Lauderdale and that is at FLL

Ok I just did the faux booking for the 3 days that I need pre-cruise.

Budget: $494.43

Alamo: $204.10

Both were for the exact same dates/times/dropoff/pickup locations as well as the same type vehicle, no options added since I won't need them.

Thanks for your help and happy cruising!

I rented from Alamo at the airport because we will be returning the car to the airport when we leave on our 10 pm flight. Budget on 17th st closes at 6 pm and we will have the car until 8:30 pm so that's out. My thoughts were I would rather pay the extra airport fees due to the convenience of dropping off at the terminal. Budget at the airport for the same car was almost double the price of Alamo at the airport. Worse case scenario is I have to take a cab to the airport to get the car. I just didn't know if Alamo had a shuttle to the airport location. They have a location at the port as well but they do not allow for that type of one way rental. So in summary...... does Alamo have a shuttle to the airport from port Everglades?

Ok I just did the faux booking for the 3 days that I need pre-cruise.

Budget: $494.43

Alamo: $204.10

Both were for the exact same dates/times/dropoff/pickup locations as well as the same type vehicle, no options added since I won't need them.

Thanks for your help and happy cruising!

I have no idea what you are doing wrong, but I just went to budget.com and did a booking for May 24, 2017 returning on May 27, 2017, pick up and return to FLL. For a compact car I got a pay now rate of $119.85+$43.75 in taxes and fees=$163.60 total. For pay at pickup I got a rate of $141.00+$47.26=$188.26.

I also ran a pickup at FLL and dropping at the 17th Street location just outside Port Everglades for a compact car getting a Pay Now rate of $141.75+$47.39=$189.14. For a Pay at Pickup I got a rate of $157.50+$50.00=$207.50.

Again, I have no idea what are you doing wrong and these rates are without discount codes that can be found easily on the Internet.

I rented from Alamo at the airport because we will be returning the car to the airport when we leave on our 10 pm flight. Budget on 17th st closes at 6 pm and we will have the car until 8:30 pm so that's out. My thoughts were I would rather pay the extra airport fees due to the convenience of dropping off at the terminal. Budget at the airport for the same car was almost double the price of Alamo at the airport. Worse case scenario is I have to take a cab to the airport to get the car. I just didn't know if Alamo had a shuttle to the airport location. They have a location at the port as well but they do not allow for that type of one way rental. So in summary...... does Alamo have a shuttle to the airport from port Everglades?

You don't have to pickup and return to the same location. There are no drop charges in Florida with major car rental agencies. Pickup the car at the Budget car at their 17th Street location and drop it at FLL. It's just that simple.

Edited by Lido_Deck

I have no idea what you are doing wrong, but I just went to budget.com and did a booking for May 24, 2017 returning on May 27, 2017, pick up and return to FLL. For a compact car I got a pay now rate of $119.85+$43.75 in taxes and fees=$163.60 total. For pay at pickup I got a rate of $141.00+$47.26=$188.26.

I also ran a pickup at FLL and dropping at the 17th Street location just outside Port Everglades for a compact car getting a Pay Now rate of $141.75+$47.39=$189.14. For a Pay at Pickup I got a rate of $157.50+$50.00=$207.50.

Again, I have no idea what are you doing wrong and these rates are without discount codes that can be found easily on the Internet.

No idea? The only difference in what you did and what I did, is I did for a standard SUV (both places) and pay in advance. Neither one had any special coupon code (which I have those as well through my alumni association). Someone else (above) noticed the rates were almost double at Budget than they were at Alamo.

I did email Alamo about the shuttle to/fro PRt. Everglades. I'll post whatever they respond with.

You don't have to pickup and return to the same location. There are no drop charges in Florida with major car rental agencies. Pickup the car at the Budget car at their 17th Street location and drop it at FLL. It's just that simple.

Since I'm doing everyone's planning work for them...

On budget.com I ran a faux booking picking up on April 16, 2017 at Budget's 17th Street location at 10:30 AM and dropping at FLL at 9:00 PM. I got a $32.40 Pay Now rate for a compact car + $5.56 in taxes and fees = $37.96 total. Pay at Pickup was $36.00+$5.77=$41.77.

Again, this is without any discount codes that are easily found in the Internet.

No idea? The only difference in what you did and what I did, is I did for a standard SUV (both places) and pay in advance. Neither one had any special coupon code (which I have those as well through my alumni association). Someone else (above) noticed the rates were almost double at Budget than they were at Alamo.

I did email Alamo about the shuttle to/fro PRt. Everglades. I'll post whatever they respond with.

You didn't say that. A SUV is a special animal that rental agencies sometimes run a clearance price on just to rent them. There are also three different sizes of SUVs. For a Full Size SUV from Alamo I'm getting a total of $409.54.

Edited by Lido_Deck

To update, I emailed Alamo asking about my plans and if they could shuttle from FLL to the port then pick up at the port and take to FLL. Here is the response that I received:

Thank you for choosing Alamo Rent A Car for your car rental needs! My name is Case. I will be happy to help you today.

I am pleased to let you know that the location does have an Airport Port Shuttle that runs both ways every 10 to 15 minutes on busy days Friday, Saturday & Sunday, and every 30 minutes on less busy days.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Case

Alamo Rent A Car Email Customer Service Representative

• 2 weeks later...

Alamo, National, and Enterprise are the only car rental companies that provide free shuttle service from FLL to Port Everglades and in the opposite direction. They use the full size buses that are owned by the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale International Airport. Hertz, Dollar, Thifty, Avis, Sixt, and Budget provide shuttle service only to their off site locations that are relatively close to Port Everglades. I personally used the service on my two Allure Of The Seas cruises with family in November 2016 and January 2017.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used the free Alamo shuttle from FLL to Port Everglades during the last weeks? Used the shuttle last year with no problems, but now after online check in on my confirmationsheet I read: "Location does not offer pickup or return service to and from Port Everglade". Hope this is not true. My journey starts April 15th with Freedom of the seas.

Has anyone used the free Alamo shuttle from FLL to Port Everglades during the last weeks? Used the shuttle last year with no problems, but now after online check in on my confirmationsheet I read: "Location does not offer pickup or return service to and from Port Everglade". Hope this is not true. My journey starts April 15th with Freedom of the seas.

I am pretty certain I read on here that Alamo no longer shuttles FLL <-> Prt Everglades. Someone else may clarify though.