Fuel Question Related to Itinerary Changes

comxkid

With all of the port changes going on lately, I had a question....how often and where do the ships refuel?

I always thought San Juan was a refueling port for some reason or the other.

Serenade which sails about the longest distances in Caribbean tops off about every other week, though could go month. Many places to fuel, though each has their own normal schedule and would prefer go to cheaper contracted ports closer to source. None these ships will run out...

With all of the port changes going on lately, I had a question....how often and where do the ships refuel?

I always thought San Juan was a refueling port for some reason or the other.

The ships can refuel in a variety of ports. We have been told that the Voyager/Freedom class ships can go 2 - 4 weeks without refueling, depending on itinerary, hotel load, etc.

Thanks. I live in Florida and refueling my automobile was an issue for the two weeks surrounding Irma.

Yes, we were in Florida then too, and Ocala was the southern most area where we could easily find gas on I75.

Did a bridge tour on Grandeur in Aug. The fuel question came up, and we were old they carried enough fuel to sail around the world. But not enough food. :)

For our cruise, they were at 1700 metric tons of fuel. Total capacity was around 2550 metric tons.

I do not remember how much they burn under weigh (but it would depend on speed), but the hotel load was about 0.5 metric tons per hour.

BTW, one reason the FL ran out of fuel, is because every one went to fill up. Same reason up North, when a snow storm is predicted, all the bread, milk, eggs, and toilet paper are gone from the shelves.

There is more than enough stock for people to buy what they need, but when they stock up, they clean out the supplies, and the pipeline cannot keep up.

Did a bridge tour on Grandeur in Aug. The fuel question came up, and we were old they carried enough fuel to sail around the world. But not enough food. :)

For our cruise, they were at 1700 metric tons of fuel. Total capacity was around 2550 metric tons.

I do not remember how much they burn under weigh (but it would depend on speed), but the hotel load was about 0.5 metric tons per hour.

BTW, one reason the FL ran out of fuel, is because every one went to fill up. Same reason up North, when a snow storm is predicted, all the bread, milk, eggs, and toilet paper are gone from the shelves.

There is more than enough stock for people to buy what they need, but when they stock up, they clean out the supplies, and the pipeline cannot keep up.

One day, I will take one of those behind the scenes tours.

I saw lots of "panic buying" over the two weeks...cars, trucks, RV's, boats, gas cans, etc. Even saw one SUV tying gas cans to the roof. The supply chain issues related to the refineries and ports in Texas didn't help either.