upgrade to a balcony using refundable onboard credit?

Jasukkie

We have an inside cabin on Anthem 9/23 now going to Canada with 50% of cruise fare in refundable onboard credit. Several people have posted about cancelling their cruise in the past few days. How would I go about upgrading to a balcony? I'm sure they are swamped with phone calls and I don't see any way to do this online. We are booked directly with RC, no travel agent. Is this something that can be done ahead of time or is it done onboard on arrival? I don't have any experience with this. Does anyone know what this might cost from our pot of refundable credit? We are fine staying with what we have but a balcony would be nice.

I would doubt that you can directly use your refundable credit to upgrade to a balcony.

However, if you call RC, they can tell you what the upgrade price will be. Also, any refundable credit you have at the end of the cruise can be refunded in cash, so you can in effect use that for the upgrade, just retroactively.

Thanks. I went ahead and called. There is availability but it's about $500 more for a balcony. I may check again when we board but will hold on to what we already have for now. I'm not sure what price would tip this decision but it's a lot less than $500.

To follow-up, we were able to upgrade to a mid-ship balcony for $100 over our original inside guarantee, very happily! We got onboard fairly early and put our name down at guest services, and heard back after dinner that we could upgrade. Ive never been on Anthem before but heard a lot about how crowded it can be. So far it hasn't been bad, able to get seats in WJ, deck chairs, even into the hot tub. I'm curious what the souls on board count is for this sailing.