Miami 3 nights pre cruise hotel stay at Thanksgiving?

ctcontrol

Hi

I was hoping someone could help recommend me a hotel to stay at pre cruise for 3 nights in Miami. Our cruise departs on 29th November however we are flying from the UK on the 26th November to stay in Miami for a few days pre cruise. Looking online it seems as though this coincides with Thanksgiving (Not something we celebrate here in the UK). I realise that hotel prices will be expensive due to that and I accept that but I'm struggling to decide which hotel to stay at. I'm looking at the Best Western in Biscayne or the Hampton Inn Brickell but I've heard people talk on the boards about the Epic too. Do either of these have good transport links nearby for us to explore? Are they worth staying at or can you recommend somewhere else? I'm travelling with my Mom and this will be her first time in the US (Well first time flying actually) so would like to stay somewhere where there is fab restaurants, things to do, transport links nearby.

I'm also hoping to go to the Zoological Wildlife Foundation whilst in Miami too. I know that this is a way from Downtown so I will have to take the train. Can anyone tell me how easy this is and how long it would take to get there?

As ever my fellow cruise critics, thank you in advance for your help. :D

Melissa

The Epic is a great hotel but it is quite a bit different than say the Hampton Inn or Best Western. The Epic is a five star hotel and a boutique hotel. Hampton Inn is very nice but it is not a luxury hotel. If you want something that is luxurious, yes take a look at Epic and also the Four Seasons Hotel in downtown Miami.

The Hampton Inn is not a full service hotel. They do include breakfast but there is no restaurant on site for lunch or dinner and the rooms are nice but simple. It is however very clean and in a nice location with respect to walking to restaurants and stores.

Other full service hotels that are not as luxurious as the Epic or Four Seasons but quite nice in the downtown Miami area include the Marriott Marquis and the Intercontinental.

I would visit each hotels web site and look at the write ups and the photos and also visit Cruise Critic's sister site trip advisor at http://www.tripadvisor.com to read some of the reviews and to see other photos.

Keith

Hi

I was hoping someone could help recommend me a hotel to stay at pre cruise for 3 nights in Miami. Our cruise departs on 29th November however we are flying from the UK on the 26th November to stay in Miami for a few days pre cruise. Looking online it seems as though this coincides with Thanksgiving (Not something we celebrate here in the UK). I realise that hotel prices will be expensive due to that and I accept that but I'm struggling to decide which hotel to stay at. I'm looking at the Best Western in Biscayne or the Hampton Inn Brickell but I've heard people talk on the boards about the Epic too. Do either of these have good transport links nearby for us to explore? Are they worth staying at or can you recommend somewhere else? I'm travelling with my Mom and this will be her first time in the US (Well first time flying actually) so would like to stay somewhere where there is fab restaurants, things to do, transport links nearby.

I'm also hoping to go to the Zoological Wildlife Foundation whilst in Miami too. I know that this is a way from Downtown so I will have to take the train. Can anyone tell me how easy this is and how long it would take to get there?

As ever my fellow cruise critics, thank you in advance for your help. :D

Melissa

Keith already gave you the hotel information and is correct on all fronts.

I will tell you that I would chose the Hampton Inn Brickell over the other hotel hands down.

For some nice hotels in the area, I would look at Four seasons, JW Marriott on Brickell Ave, Marriott Marquis, Intercontinental, Viceroy, or the Epic.

Many of these can be had for a great price over on sites like last minute travel.com and will be much lower than booking on their own site. The downside is you pay up front for the hotel. The cancellation policy is the same as booking with the hotel however.

As far as getting to the Zoological Wildlife foundation (which is appointment only if you didn't know), it's that easy to get to from downtown. It involves many modes of transportation and using public transportation will take around 2 1/2 hours and involve taking the train from the Brickell station to dadeland south. Then transferring to a bus and then taking a taxi!

Thank you Keith and Carolyn for your help. Much appreciated.

Quick question though Carolyn, I did know that it was appointment only. I'm not afraid of using public transport and seems like a nice day out. I'm just wondering if it was be easier or quicker to hire a car and driver to get there? I've heard talk on the boards about a company called Uber. Are they reliable?

Thanks again, Melissa

Quick question though Carolyn, I did know that it was appointment only. I'm not afraid of using public transport and seems like a nice day out. I'm just wondering if it was be easier or quicker to hire a car and driver to get there? I've heard talk on the boards about a company called Uber. Are they reliable?

Thanks again, Melissa

I use Uber all the time around here as do many people that we know when going out at night. It's actually a company that hires regular people to drive. They are given a background check and must have a clean license. I've also used them in Fort Lauderdale. Always been great and we have met many great people. The prices are a lot less than taxis.

You will have no issues getting a driver in the downtown or Brickell areas as they are always around, I'm not sure about getting one down there though.

To return you could always call a taxi and have them bring you to the dadeland south train station and then take that to brickell and walk back to any of the hotels mentioned. It's very easy. The train is about 15 minutes from here to that area. I take it sometimes to the dadeland mall because it's 15 of train vs 45 of traffic in the car.

Thanks again, Melissa

I would use Uber. Public transportation in Miami is not the same as public transport in other big cities. In Miami, it can get very sketchy. There are armed guards on Tri Rail and Metro and at the stations but it doesn't make me feel in better in some areas.

That said, I do actually use public transport here. I will not use it after dark.

I would use Uber. Public transportation in Miami is not the same as public transport in other big cities. In Miami, it can get very sketchy. There are armed guards on Tri Rail and Metro and at the stations but it doesn't make me feel in better in some areas.

That said, I do actually use public transport here. I will not use it after dark.

I'll only use the public transportation at night when with a group, never on my own. I also get off at Dadeland North station rather than Dadeland South.