Houston/Galveston questions

sweetlove13

I'm taking my mom on her first cruise out of Galveston in May. We want to do the Space Center and I think will fly in a couple days early, rent a car and stay somewhere near the Space Center and check out other areas then drop the car off the morning of the cruise and take a cab to the port.

Here are my questions, I'm hoping someone from the area or a frequent traveler can help me:

1) What's a good but not too pricey hotel near the Space Center?

2) About how much will it cost to take a cab from Texas City to the Galveston port in Sunday morning traffic?

3) What else in the area is a "can't miss"?

4) Most importantly... Where's the nearest Whataburger??? :D

Thanks in advance for your assistance!! :D

... Where's the nearest Whataburger???...

Space Center Houston location:

1601 NASA Pkwy,

Houston, Texas

For nearest Whataburger locations: http://whataburger.com/locations/search?search=nasa+parkway,+tx

There are also Texas City, La Marque and Galveston locations.

Kat emo32.gif

you can't swing a dead cat and not hit 4 whataburgers.

Hard to say what is a "can't miss" as we have no idea of what you are into and like to do. I'm a history (Naval history at that) nerd so the USS Texas is right up my alley, but would bore the crap out of others. for example.

Edited by TruckerDave

You didn't say which airport you are flying into. But, it is Hobby (the closer of the two) just drop the car off at the airport and grab some transportation from there. If it is just the two of you the ships transportation might be a good option. I don't know why you mentioned Texas City, just rent the car at the airport and go from there. ( I suppose you could also rent car at IAH and return it to HOU and the transportation will be cheaper then from the big airport)

You didn't say which airport you are flying into. But, it is Hobby (the closer of the two) just drop the car off at the airport and grab some transportation from there. If it is just the two of you the ships transportation might be a good option. I don't know why you mentioned Texas City, just rent the car at the airport and go from there. ( I suppose you could also rent car at IAH and return it to HOU and the transportation will be cheaper then from the big airport)

I believe Texas City has the closest rental car office to Galveston, that is open on Sunday. I'm guessing the OP wants to minimize the taxi fare back to Galveston.

I believe Texas City has the closest rental car office to Galveston, that is open on Sunday. I'm guessing the OP wants to minimize the taxi fare back to Galveston.

You are correct, Bob. I thought it would be less expensive to do it that way.

Not sure yet which airport we're flying into because from where I live almost all flights go to IAH and I want to fly to HOU.

Unfortunately, the cruise line doesn't offer transportation if we fly in early.

You are correct, Bob. I thought it would be less expensive to do it that way.

Not sure yet which airport we're flying into because from where I live almost all flights go to IAH and I want to fly to HOU.

Unfortunately, the cruise line doesn't offer transportation if we fly in early.

I'd really try to fly to HOU if at all possible. Besides being much farther, there's much more potential for traffic problems between IAH and the port.

In the past, Enterprise's Galveston office was open on Sunday, and would provide free transportation to the pier. The website shows that they are open 8-1 on Sundays, but it's a good idea to give them a call directly.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=0618&bid=004&cnty=US

There is a Whataburger on I-45 at the El Dorado Blvd exit, which is 2 exits north of NASA Blvd.

There are some hotels in the area that cost less than the REsidence Inn listed here: http://hotelguides.com/texas/nasa-space-center-tx-hotels.html

In the past, Enterprise's Galveston office was open on Sunday, and would provide free transportation to the pier. The website shows that they are open 8-1 on Sundays, but it's a good idea to give them a call directly.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=0618&bid=004&cnty=US

In our 13 years on the island, Enterprise has never been open on Sunday until recently. Hertz wasn't either, when they were here pre-Ike.

They currently are open on Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 1pm.

As a franchise, they have always set there own hours and days open.

I would call the local number to see about transport to the port (409-740-0700)

In our 13 years on the island, Enterprise has never been open on Sunday until recently. Hertz wasn't either, when they were here pre-Ike.

They currently are open on Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 1pm.

As a franchise, they have always set there own hours and days open.

I would call the local number to see about transport to the port (409-740-0700)

Very good to know, thank-you!:)

According to website

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

5919 BROADWAY ST

GALVESTON, TX 77551-4306

Tel.: (409) 740-0700 Business Hours for the week of September 22, 2014

Open Close Monday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Tuesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Wednesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Thursday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Friday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Saturday 8:00 am 1:00 pm Sunday 8:00 am 1:00 pm

Edited by ssb

According to website

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

5919 BROADWAY ST

GALVESTON, TX 77551-4306

Tel.: (409) 740-0700 Business Hours for the week of September 22, 2014

Open Close Monday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Tuesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Wednesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Thursday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Friday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Saturday 8:00 am 1:00 pm Sunday 8:00 am 1:00 pm

Interesting. When I searched previously it said they were closed Sundays but after seeing your post I checked again and it says they're open 8-1, even in May when I'll be visiting. Thanks so much for the info!!!

Interesting. When I searched previously it said they were closed Sundays but after seeing your post I checked again and it says they're open 8-1, even in May when I'll be visiting. Thanks so much for the info!!!

You are correct, the web site was just updated for Sundays .

And Enterprise operations just began to be open on Sundays.

We went a day early for our cruise because we wanted to visit the Space Center. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Clear Lake. It is right across the street from the Space Center and an easy walk. We were happy with the hotel and would recommend it.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/houcs-courtyard-houston-nasa-clear-lake/

Don't recall seeing a Whataburger in the area. There are several restaurants within walking distance of the Courtyard Marriott. We ate at a Mexican place called Bullritos, it was very good. There is also a CVS Pharmacy within walking distance to pick up last minute things.

We used Cool Tours for our transportation from airport to hotel and then again from hotel to port. I highly recommend them.

https://cooltoursgalveston.com/

Hope you enjoy cruising out of Galveston as much as I did. Have a GREAT cruise!