Mykonos review - Azamara Quest June 2014

kikki21

This was our first stop on the Azamara Quest and we thought about hiring a car but in the end as we were on honeymoon, our whole holiday was about relaxing, walking and shopping! :)

We had a long stopover here till 10pm which allowed us to tender in and explore Mykonos Town twice over!

The weather was perfect - warm and not too hot although to us Brits anything over 20c is a bonus!

I had done some research on where to eat on TripAdvisor beforehand and I choose to eat lunch and made a reservation at Karavaki at the Vencia Boutique Hotel which is situated on the winding road up from Mykonos Town on the way to the airport but still a relatively easy walk - the restaurant had good reviews and the view was excellent.

For dinner - it was a choice of Avra or M-eating and we ended up at M-eating which was an excellent choice.

All we seemed to do was walk around, explore the shops and the views and eat/drink but it was a really lovely day and we chilled out for a few hours for lunch sitting under the shady tree.The food was cooked to order. The hotel looked lovely to stay in too!

We made some purchases in Mykonos, my husband bought a ring and I got some earrings to match my pendant purchased in Athens - really pleased with both purchases. If you pay cash you will get offered discounts in Greece, if you don't ask, you don't get!

Here's a link to the photobucket album for Mykonos.

http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/Monmar1408/library/Facebook/OUR%20BIG%20FAT%20GREEK%20HONEYMOON%20CRUISE-2

Edited by kikki21
Photobucket link

It was well worth the walk up to Vencia Boutique Hotel and the views are just amazing going up the road - we had a drink break at the Perfecto cafe and carried on walking!

I have to say that the use of the Google Maps app on my iPhone was excellent on the whole holiday when we needed to use it.

I would definitely recommend the food too - we were about an hour and a bit early for lunch but it was no problem - we got told to stay as long as we wanted and the food was cooked to order! We had shrimp saganaki which was the best on the trip and grilled vegetables with fresh bread and with a complimentary cheese pie - mmmm it all tasted excellent! Washed down with a very strong Pina Colada and then water! We stayed for a few hours and then walked down to the harbour to catch the tender back to the ship to freshen up.

On our way back for our 2nd Mykonos trip, we were going to eat at Avra but they didn't open on time - this is why we ended up shopping in a really nice Jewellery shop called Amethyst.

Avra still wasn't open but we ended up walking up Kalogera St and ended up at M-eating after a bit of a debate whether they could fit us in, we were sat down and looking at a menu! We had mains, I had the fried ravioli and my husband had the seabass dish and shared a dessert, the white chocolate mousse - all of it was delicious! We then had enough time to catch the sunset near the windmills and then walk back to the tender - all in all it really was a perfect day! :)

Thank you - we really loved our day and sometimes it isn't all about seeing as much as possible in one day but doing stuff you enjoy so for us it's walking, shopping and eating! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we are stopping at Mykonos for the day next August with our NCL cruise. There are only 5 shore excursions listed for this island. It seems so small that we can just get onto the island and walk around by ourselves. Would you recommend this approach or go with an NCL guide?