Gibraltar Rock - advice on how to do it?

We have a full day coming up in Gibraltar and obviously want to visit the rock and see the apes. From research I've done it seems that the walk from the ship to the cable car can take anything from 20 to 45 mins (depending who's answering ;)). However, I understand that lines for the cable car can be very long and I really don't want to be standing around when we could be walking.

Therefore, having reached the rock, is it feasible to then walk up to the point where the apes are? I am assuming it's much too far and steep to walk to the top. We're quite happy to take public transport if that's possible.

Failing that, if we take a taxi from the port, would it be feasible to go to the top of the rock by taxi and then walk down? If so, what sort of price could we expect to pay.

Thanks

It's a heck of a walk -- I wouldn't want to do it. We took a private car - so they were able to navigate the entire "rock". The ship tours couldn't go as far up.

My only advice about the apes -- DO NOT HAVE ANY FOOD ON YOU! They will rip it out of your hands.

• 9 months later...
We have a full day coming up in Gibraltar and obviously want to visit the rock and see the apes. From research I've done it seems that the walk from the ship to the cable car can take anything from 20 to 45 mins (depending who's answering ;)). However, I understand that lines for the cable car can be very long and I really don't want to be standing around when we could be walking.

Therefore, having reached the rock, is it feasible to then walk up to the point where the apes are? I am assuming it's much too far and steep to walk to the top. We're quite happy to take public transport if that's possible.

Failing that, if we take a taxi from the port, would it be feasible to go to the top of the rock by taxi and then walk down? If so, what sort of price could we expect to pay.

Thanks

Bobal, did you already make your stop in Gibraltar? What did you end up doing? I have the exact same questions. We are both healthy and enjoy walking, but I'm not sure I want a strenuous hike for 2 hours. Did you do the cable car or taxi? We don't arrive until 2:30 pm so the lines for the cable car may be too long by then. Our ship doesn't leave until 10 pm so we have all afternoon and evening. Thanks for any advice.

Hi Scuba, I'll jump in here. We've been to Gibralter several times. We I strongly recommend is to grab one of the countless cabs (outside the port area) and have them take you. They are reasonable and can navigate the narrow winding roads, show you the sights, take you to the tunnels...etc. Maybe $25/pp, negotiate. It's worth it.

I don't doubt that Paul walked the whole way there & back.

But the vast majority would not want to do it.

Taxi tour from the ship is the easiest & gives the most comprehensive tour, most folk alight in Casemates Square (northern end of Main Street) at the end of the tour, then walk Main Street.

Yes, its a bit of a hike to the cable-car, though it's level ground.

1.7 miles, Google walks it in 35 minutes.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=36.1326628,-5.3521183+to:Red+Sands+Rd&hl=en&ll=36.139746,-5.357466&spn=0.025473,0.044117&sll=36.137008,-5.353518&sspn=0.025474,0.044117&geocode=FYyTJwIddiCu_w%3BFTZXJwIdSlWu_ykBhkVUnb8MDTHLK_BqmMY_LA%3BFeNWJwIdjFWu_w&t=h&dirflg=w&doflg=ptm&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&z=15

Yes, there are often long cable car lines after about 9.30. And the service is suspended (pun intended ;)) in moderately high winds. The intermediate station is closed during the summer months.

Can I suggest if you choose to walk, you walk down. So take a taxi from ship to cable-car station, if its closed or there are long lines you can decide whether to walk up or keep the taxi for the upper Rock tour. The only problem with doing that is that the taxi is priced for the vehicle so to continue in the taxi you need to be four like-minded folk (or find others at the cable car station) to get a sensible upper Rock tour price. The taxi route up the Rock starts quite close to the cable car station.

Taxi up & walk down doesn't really make sense because the price will be the same (about €15 to €20pp??) but you will miss the Great Seige tunnels, which are at the northern end of the Rock.

JB :)

Just MHO,but it can be fun to do a taxi tour..you really get to see a lot.Do watch OUT for the monkey's...they can grab glasses etc...rude little things and I like animales...like th other poster said...no food on or near you:eek:.On the main shopping street there are some nice restos as well. Enjoy your trip.

like th other poster said...no food on or near you:eek:.On the main shopping street there are some nice restos as well. Enjoy your trip.

I'll kinda disagree, but in the nicest possible way :)

Some folk do feed them with crisps, sandwiches or whatever they happen to be carrying - and that's a big no-no.

But its worth taking some fresh fruit from ther breakfast buffet, to feed the monkeys - though a lot of the taxi drivers carry fruit/veg.

Yes, they'll steal whatever food they can.

(the monkeys, not the taxi drivers :D)

JB :)

We will be there early May and intend to hike up the Mediterranean Steps. If you want more information, a Gibraltar local has posted how-tos and photos on the Trip Advisor Gibraltar forum. Her thread is very helpful.

• 1 month later...

OK

We hiked the Mediterranean Steps to the top and lived to post about it.

Here is how we did it.

• Walk from the ship towards the city center. About 10 minutes.

• When you get to the city center you will see a small bus terminal with 4 bus stops. This is where you will catch the #2 bus in a minute.
  • I suggest you walk past the bus terminal into the city square where to tourist info office is. Go in and get a map.

• Go back to the bus terminal and catch the bus #2. Tell the driver you want to go to the Jews Gate. It will cost 1 pound. You do not need a return ticket. The bus comes every 15 minutes.

• The driver will drop you off about a 5-10 minute walk from the Jews Gate. Just follow the road up the hill.

• You will come to an area where you pay 0.50 pounds to go on the Mediterranean Steps. Have a water bottle. They have water here and they will fill your bottles.

• As you enter the Steps take the trail to the right, you are now on the trail/path that are the Mediterranean Steps.

• You will now walk 1-1.5 hours up "The Rock" You will have some great views.

• When you get to the top, catch your breath.

• Now follow the road about 10 minutes and you will get to an upper area where the apes are. There will be a lot of tours and taxis here.

• From here there are many options, We took the steps down to near the apes den. But you could also follow the roads or take the tram down.

• Using the map you picked up earlier or following the signs, head to the Moor's Castle and then down into town.

• Have a drink, walk back to the ship.

The whole trip takes about 3 - 4 hours. Make sure you have some water. This is not an easy hike, you are climbing up "The Rock"

Archived