Summit Aqua Aft Cabins 1133/1130...

rainbowbeach

Several years ago, someone posted a wonderful photo essay about the aft cabins on the Summit. It's from 2012 but it's post-refurb so it's accurate, with one exception. He was thrilled to find that in 1130, he had loungers on his balcony instead of the chairs with footstools. When we were in 1130 last fall, our deck chairs were like everyone else's. Oh well.

You will overlook the bar and if you're standing at the rail of your balcony, people above and below can see you. However, there was rarely anyone above and the people below were too busy looking at each other and the scenery to look up at us. 1130 and 1133 are right next to the stairs but very few people use those stairs. It was also convenient for one person to go down to the bar, come back up the steps to hand drinks off to the other person waiting on the balcony, then have hands empty to deal with the heavy door.

Here's the thread with the photos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1629443

Edited by 2theship

I do not want to be the one raining on anybody's parade, but I would issue one caveat about these cabins. We had 1130 for the 8 day repo to Bayonne in April. We have done this itinerary for five years running now. We have had great seas on the last day from Bermuda to Bayonne and a couple of rough ones. This year on Saturday (the day before arrival), from about 10 A.M. until about 8 P.M. was some of the roughest waters I have ever experienced on a ship. I would have to say that these cabins may not be for people prone to motion issues on itineraries that might run into rough seas. Having said that, up until that time, we loved the cabin, the balcony, and its location, (you could jump off the balcony and land on a barstool at the Sunset Bar). We would book this cabin again in a heartbeat. Any southern Caribbean cruise should be fine, and as the summer goes on, it should be fine from Bayonne to Bermuda and back, barring bad weather.

1138 was my favorite cabin ever... 1130 was good. I'm very sensitive to smoke... Couldn't do the ones on the smoking side. We smelled smoke even on the nonsmoking side

Sounds good! We have 1138 on Summit in three weeks!

Several years ago, someone posted a wonderful photo essay about the aft cabins on the Summit. It's from 2012 but it's post-refurb so it's accurate, with one exception. He was thrilled to find that in 1130, he had loungers on his balcony instead of the chairs with footstools. When we were in 1130 last fall, our deck chairs were like everyone else's. Oh well.

You will overlook the bar and if you're standing at the rail of your balcony, people above and below can see you. However, there was rarely anyone above and the people below were too busy looking at each other and the scenery to look up at us. 1130 and 1133 are right next to the stairs but very few people use those stairs. It was also convenient for one person to go down to the bar, come back up the steps to hand drinks off to the other person waiting on the balcony, then have hands empty to deal with the heavy door.

Here's the thread with the photos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1629443

Ahhhhhh...yes, that was Mr. Julius. Actually he had 1138 with the lounge chairs. I do remember reading his posts and most importantly, I remembered his tan feet...of all things.....;)

Thank you for posting the link. I will be the red pencil person on that deck. :D

Edited by midwestchick

I do not want to be the one raining on anybody's parade, but I would issue one caveat about these cabins. We had 1130 for the 8 day repo to Bayonne in April. We have done this itinerary for five years running now. We have had great seas on the last day from Bermuda to Bayonne and a couple of rough ones. This year on Saturday (the day before arrival), from about 10 A.M. until about 8 P.M. was some of the roughest waters I have ever experienced on a ship. I would have to say that these cabins may not be for people prone to motion issues on itineraries that might run into rough seas. Having said that, up until that time, we loved the cabin, the balcony, and its location, (you could jump off the balcony and land on a barstool at the Sunset Bar). We would book this cabin again in a heartbeat. Any southern Caribbean cruise should be fine, and as the summer goes on, it should be fine from Bayonne to Bermuda and back, barring bad weather.

Fortunately, neither one of us have a problem with seasickness.

I'd like to attach a rope and a basket to our balcony and just drop it down to the bar for our refills. :p:D

Hello Lawgeek, we have 1140, so we will be neighbours!

Wow Vivi9909, that great! Look forward to meeting you! We originally had another AQ1 cabin, but I was dilligently monitoring aft cabins that were all booked. 1138 popped up as available one day and I had TA snag it. It looks like we have some of the same tastes in cruising as we were on Equinox Eastern Med in June 2010, I think. :)

I'd like to attach a rope and a basket to our balcony and just drop it down to the bar for our refills. :p:D[/quote

I have thought of that idea myself. Wonder if they would do it? But how would I keep my margarita from spilling? LOL

Laura

Ahhhhhh...yes, that was Mr. Julius. Actually he had 1138 with the lounge chairs. I do remember reading his posts and most importantly, I remembered his tan feet...of all things.....;)

Thank you for posting the link. I will be the red pencil person on that deck. :D

Ah, yes. You are quite right, he was in 1138. Now I remember that I peeked around the wall from 1130 to see if there were loungers - there were not.

So far, we've had 1140 on Infinity and 1130 on Summit. Next year we've got 1140 on Constellation. Those balconies are wonderful. However, I do heartily agree with the comment about issues with motion in those cabins. If someone has a problem, it's probably best to avoid them.

Ah, yes. You are quite right, he was in 1138. Now I remember that I peeked around the wall from 1130 to see if there were loungers - there were not.

So far, we've had 1140 on Infinity and 1130 on Summit. Next year we've got 1140 on Constellation. Those balconies are wonderful. However, I do heartily agree with the comment about issues with motion in those cabins. If someone has a problem, it's probably best to avoid them.

How did you like 1140? Someone posted it was like a tunnel but I thought the extra privacy would be nice and I like to have coffee on the balcony with my pj's on.

We've been salmon fishing on Lake Michigan in a charter boat many times....had some really rough waves but we were fine. Some people didn't fare so well. As I said, I don't think it will be an issue for us. For insurance I may pick up something for seasickness, just in case. We have hit some rough water on one cruise but we were not affected and some people were. In fact, I slept right through it one night and DH did not because he said it was really rough but he didn't get sick then, either.

Edited by midwestchick

Take really good care of that cabin because we'll be in it the following week. ;) This morning I noticed 1140 was available and I grabbed it. :D :p.

Don't worry, we always take good care of our cabins. :)

You were lucky to find 1140 available. Did you just check regularly on the X site or another specialized site or did you use the alarm feature of one of these sites to inform you if a specific cabin becomes available?

Quite strangely on one well known of these sites, the deck plan of the M-class ships has not been modified to show the deck 11 A1 cabins and it can't be used to check the availability of these cabins.

Last summer, we had 1141 and enjoyed the balcony very much; I hope that we will not be disappointed by the so-called tunnel effect of 1140.

I'd like to attach a rope and a basket to our balcony and just drop it down to the bar for our refills. :p:D[/quote

I have thought of that idea myself. Wonder if they would do it? But how would I keep my margarita from spilling? LOL

Laura

Almost everybody staying in one of these deck 11 aft cabins thinks it would be fun to order our drinks from our balcony but a previous poster mentioned some time ago that the barmen don't seem to appreciate such requests even just for joking. Maybe it's mentioned so often that it becomes an over worn joke to them.

Don't worry, we always take good care of our cabins. :)

You were lucky to find 1140 available. Did you just check regularly on the X site or another specialized site or did you use the alarm feature of one of these sites to inform you if a specific cabin becomes available?

Quite strangely on one well known of these sites, the deck plan of the M-class ships has not been modified to show the deck 11 A1 cabins and it can't be used to check the availability of these cabins.

Last summer, we had 1141 and enjoyed the balcony very much; I hope that we will not be disappointed by the so-called tunnel effect of 1140.

Actually, it's a site I use that I can't mention on here. I was checking on our fall cruise to see if an aft cabin was available and for the heck of it, I looked at our Bermuda cruise and 1140 was open, hence the quick phone call to my TA.

I'm not worried about the tunnel effect...I'm sure it will be fine.

Maybe you can get the cabin steward to put some chaise loungers on the balcony and tell him to leave them for the next guests. ;)

I wish I knew where I could go to get an alert for our October cruise...I would love being aft as opposed to where we are located.

BTW, I was just razzing about taking care of the cabin.

Will you be posting live at all? I would love to know your thoughts.

We just gave up 1140 on Summit. We were told that the noise from the outdoor movies held directly above was horrible.

I hope it is not that bad. Anyway, while cruising, we don't normally go back early to our cabin; we dine late, go to the late show and sometimes to the Sky lounge and are back to our cabin around 11h30 to midnight. Do you know when the outdoor movies end?

I hope it is not that bad. Anyway, while cruising, we don't normally go back early to our cabin; we dine late, go to the late show and sometimes to the Sky lounge and are back to our cabin around 11h30 to midnight. Do you know when the outdoor movies end?

Yes, someone please post what time the movie ends.