Maya Chan - "Umbrella" Option

agsaway

We waited too long to confirm our reservation at Maya Chan and they came back saying they did not have a pergola available but we could reserve an umbrella instead. Trying to decide if it's still worth it or we should look at another option. The price is a few dollars lower per person than originally quoted for pergola. Any insight from someone who has visited and/or seen the umbrellas?

We didn't spend all that much time at our "assigned" spot. We were in the water (floating with a drink, swimming, kayaking, etc), sitting at the bar talking with Mark and David, eating, hanging with new friends. I'd take the umbrella and not worry about it. You will have a great time. Don't forget to use their computers to send messages back home and check your e-mail. By the way, the food and drink at MC are fantastic!

Thanks, Laurie. All good points. As for the Internet access, can you also get wifi on your personal devices from there?

We have been to Maya Chan four times. There is wifi available in the bar/restarurant area with decent speed. The one problem we had last time (January 2014) is that so many were on the system, we had connection problems. Once things settle down and less are on the system it is fine.

We didn't spend all that much time at our "assigned" spot. We were in the water (floating with a drink, swimming, kayaking, etc), sitting at the bar talking with Mark and David, eating, hanging with new friends. I'd take the umbrella and not worry about it. You will have a great time. Don't forget to use their computers to send messages back home and check your e-mail. By the way, the food and drink at MC are fantastic!

I agree. We were just there and it was the highlight of the trip. Great food and drinks. Try the mango daiquiers. They were the best!

I would definitely take the "umbrella" option. We also found that we didn't spend too much time at our pergola style hut other than to snack and eat lunch. We were having too much fun doing other things.

The wifi can be reached at your area as well if you bring your own laptop or device. We did and the hubby sat in the chair catching up on emails. I, of course, had to post pictures for those back home "not" in the Caribbean. :D

• 3 months later...

LW and I have been to several All Inclusives, but none compare to Maya Chan. If you are looking for a loud hopping spot, this ain't it. Don't get me wrong...sometimes that is exactly what we want. Maya Chan is really laid back. You can't help but reax. Drinks are great. Fresh fish can't even be described...delicious comes close. We can't wait to get back to island time. One question though, why in the world would anyone want internet service in El Caribe? Turn your devices off and look around....you are in paradise.

• 9 months later...