Legendary review

TV Dad

I just got off the Seabourn Legend sailing St. Maarten to Aruba. Never fear it is still the fabulous cruise ship you've come to expect. Great food, impeccable service and unlimited flowing beverages.

The ship is still in great shape, even though it is being sold in a few months. Captain and cruise director have things running ship-shape. So sorry for the pun.

Good to know, thanks for posting.

Do you recall if they have Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio?

Was there a rock the boat party?

Thanks

L

Yes, They had Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio during the sailing. I had only a sip to sample, as I was drinking red wine that night.

We're doing the same sailing on 12/6. Can you tell me if it was easy accessing beaches (i.e., walking from tender disembarkation point).--specifically, Road Bay and Le Marin. Also who is the current cruise director? Thanks

Road Bay Anguilla had a nice beach right as you get off the tender. We did not beach it there, but I noticed it while tossing back a few rum punches at a beach bar called Johno's. It is also right at the tender dock. Great Wi-Fi there too. We had the pleasure of imbibing with our cruise director there and got to know him fairly well. But back to your question -- the beach is literally a few steps from the tender in Road Bay.

There are many other beaches a short taxi ride away. We did the dolphin swim and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, the beach by the dolphin swim was filled with seaweed and not at all enjoyable.

In Le Marin -- there is no easy access to a beach. It is a small port with no shopping and no beach. Everything you do, you must go to by taxi. ALSO -- get some euros ahead of time. US dollars not always accepted and the exchange rate on the ship was terrible! They were asking $1.74 per euro when the rate in USA was $1.26. The only ATM we found in port to try and get euros was not working. No-one on board we talked to seemed to have anything nice to say about Le Marin. However, there are one or two nice restaurants near the dock.

The Cruise Director on board for the next month is Simon Guilespe (sp?). Wonderful man with a great personality.

We just arrived in St. Martin, leaving on Legend tomorrow. I'll try to post some port details when we return. In Anguilla, I'm planning to take a taxi to Meads Bay. I got euros in the airport before leaving the US. We took a similar cruise last year and needed euros in St. Barts and Guadeloupe. In LeMarin, my plan is a taxi to Plage des Saline.

Lunch is not served on the little ships on embarkation day. They do offer sandwiches and cookies along with beverages while you wait in the show lounge until about 2pm when the suites are usually ready.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Some notes for those departing soom: Road Bay, Anguilla, took a cab to Meads Bay ($5 pp, 4 in cab). Got 2 chairs (nice strap loungers) plus good qualtiy umbrella for $6 (total) at Blainchards. They have good food, bar, and facilities. Others went to Shoal Bay. There is ongoing construction at Shoal, so a good bit of jackhammer noise unless you walk farther down the beach from taxi dropoff point. Third popular beach was Rendevous Bay (Cap Juluca). No chair rentals--hotel guests only.

Le Marin, Martinique, there was a shuttle to the beach by Club Med ($5 pp round trip). Weather was not good so we didn't stay very long. Can not use Club Med facilities. Beach is narrow and shady. Did not find facilities or chair rentals or the advertised jet ski rentals. I was pretty deserted. If weather had been better, I would have taken a taxi to Le Saline. Don't know what it was like, but wouldn't have to improve much to be better than the beach by Club Med. There is a covered market across from the pier with a nice selection of local merchandise, jams, liquors, art work. You will need euros to shop there.

Bonaire, we took a taxi to Spice Beach ($2.50 pp if 4 or more people). Snorkeling was excellent. There is a pier into the water, with stairs that allow easy access. There is an underwater trail if you head in the direction of the ship. Chairs $5 each, no charge for umbrellas. Chairs are close together, the plastic frame, sling-lounge type, not very confortable. There is a pool, showers, and restrooms, all included with chair rental. Food and a bar also. Others took ship's excursion to Klein Bonaire. Snorkeling was good there. Can also go to Klein via water taxi, but logistics were sketchy. The distance fromwater taxi dropoff to snorkeling entry point requires some walking. It's drift snorkeling, so you don't come out where you went in. Your shoes are elsewhere and you need shoes in order to retrieve your shoes. Easier to go by boat. No facilites on Klein.

In Antigua, we took a taxi to Valley Church Beach. $32 for cab, each way. Chairs $5 each. Umbrella $10. Food and facilities available. There is a significant dropoff getting into/out of the water, so could be challenging if you if aren't agile. Only ship in port with us was Seabourn Spirit so beach was quiet, and we loved every minute.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for posting. We get on in St. Maarten the 21st of Dec. Was lunch served the day of your embarkation?

Sandwiches and hors d'oeurves were served while waiting for rooms. This was just before 2 PM.

After that there is afternoon tea, or it is possible to order room service to any location on the ship

Lunch is not served on the little ships on embarkation day. They do offer sandwiches and cookies along with beverages while you wait in the show lounge until about 2pm when the suites are usually ready.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ill note an abnormality. Because of the large number of continuing pax from the Prides last 7 day to 13 day TA to Windstar, Karl was overly kind and opened R2 to us for lunch. Sadly the embarking passengers abused this generosity.

Sandwiches and hors d'oeurves were served while waiting for rooms. This was just before 2 PM.

After that there is afternoon tea, or it is possible to order room service to any location on the ship

Room service is available from most anywhere. Probably not from the bridge if not an officer :) nor in the dining room, but why would you do that?