Do I understand this correctly?

ValerieJo

We were in Costa Maya almost 10 years ago before the Hurricane and did a ship's excursion at the time. I don't recall much other than the main port area with the pool. Not sure how much has changed since it has been rebuilt.

From what I understand we can go to the town of Malahaul and there is basically a strip/boardwalk called the Malecon. Am I understanding this so far?

Along the strip are several hotels/beach resorts such as Tropicante among others?

Can we get off the ship and grab a bus or taxi to Malahaul and walk the Malecon? Once there can we stop somewhere to grab a beach chair and drinks or do we need to have reservations at a particular place?

Thanks for any input and an explanation of the area.

Hi. You just need to walk out of the tourist trap pier area where you can catch a cheap cab to Mahahual, very short ride..We are going to give Tropicante a try in November..You will not need reservations unless you are doing an AI at a beach club.

Edited by overthehillcruiser

Yes, you can just take the bus, from the cruise center or a taxi just short walk outside the cruise center gates. Both the same $. You'll need catch a taxi for the return.

Yes, you can walk along the malecon/beach and lounger hawkers will find you. You don't need go looking. You don't need reservations. But highly suggested for Tropicante and Pez Quadro.. El Faro, next door to Tropicante, and Black Pearl nearby, are others to look for. Unless you see the buildings with the names, do not be taken in by any of the lounger hawkers. Avoid the places nearest the first bus stop as they are the most crowded. You'll find Mahahual very much changed from the "old days" when the place to go was the Cat's Meow.

• 2 months later...

From what I understand we can go to the town of Malahaul and there is basically a strip/boardwalk called the Malecon. Am I understanding this so far?

Along the strip are several hotels/beach resorts such as Tropicante among others?

Thanks for any input and an explanation of the area.

They aren't exactly beach resorts - it's a quiet beachside village atmosphere. It is a long, unspoiled beach separated by the Malecon. The souvenir shops and restaurant /bars are one side of the street, the loungers and tables for outdoor seating are across the street/Malecon on the beach. It is a very laid back atmosphere,tables are set up for beach massage under the palm trees. Massages start at $10-20, Coronas are around a buck.

You have it exactly correct. I'll add that the ports shuttles are $3 per person and taxis outside the port are $2. Be aware, the shuttles are owned by the port so drivers drop people at places affiliated with the port, like Senior Frogs, and told things like this is the only beach and even that it is the only stop. Drivers also cut their own deals and stop not at regular stops but at places that pay them. You'll be told there are 5 stops but there are really only as many as the driver wants from what I can tell. They also allow staff from the local business that pay them to come on the bus and tell all it is the last stop! Just tricky stuff but they try to keep you from strolling and deciding for yourself, so be ready. There is an old soccer field, just look for the goals, along the route, and that is the actual center of town. If you get out there, you can go either way about 4-5 blocks and take your pick. If you want to take a taxi, you need to go outside the chain link gate and walk 100 yards to the taxi stand. The port personnel send you to shuttles if you ask for a "taxi", so just ask for the exit, or you'll be directed to their shuttles. The malecon is great. Best beach in the Western Caribbean! Go, and enjoy!!