Posts for Portugal Ports

delraydoll

Threads concerning Portugal and Gibraltar, while sharing the Iberian Peninsula, are directed currently to the 'Other Mediterranean' section.

I think the moderators logic is that with Spain having so many significant ports including Barcelona, Malaga and the Balearic and Canary Island ports, that the threads are more balanced in volume by using the Northern, Western and Mediterranean headers.

Edited by MADflyer

Yes, I have been wondering why I could not find much info on Portugal's ports. No one knows where to post them or look for them! I think they should be removed from the Med and either added to Spain or have their own posting area.

Threads concerning Portugal and Gibraltar, while sharing the Iberian Peninsula, are directed currently to the 'Other Mediterranean' section.

I think the moderators logic is that with Spain having so many significant ports including Barcelona, Malaga and the Balearic and Canary Island ports, that the threads are more balanced in volume by using the Northern, Western and Mediterranean headers.

With more and more new ports in the "Other" section, like the Black Sea ports, it is getting quite full there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Took me a while to find them too.

While indeed Portugal is partially influenced by the Mediterranean, in the climate, in the countryside, and in some historical inter-influences, Portugal is related mostly to the Atlantic.

Actually Portugal should belong to the western section since the country belongs to the western Atlantic axis of Europe not the southern nor the Mediterranean, which apart those influences i mentioned is nonsense.

By the way, not Spain, please. That would be even more nonsense. :eek:

As Spain currently host 7 embarkation ports along with 38 destination ports, along with the volume of year-round and seasonal sailings, I guess it is somewhat clear why Spain has a separate classification.

While the current division is maybe not ideal, both Lisbon and Funchal, Madeira are listed in the main header for Other Mediterranean Ports at the moment.

If they were to have a 'Iberian Ports' section that included Spain, Lisbon would get just as lost there and many would not understand this connection as well. This also would then include the national islands that are not directly linked to the region.

It seems to be problematic, no matter which classification they would choose in that case.

I had to hunt and peck to find Portugal, Spain and Gib - but no big deal.

If you want good info on Lisbon and Madeira (Portugal - Funchal port) I would suggest googling "Tom's Port Guides." Tom Sheridan writes free guides for cruisers, and his website includes guides for Lisbon and Funchal. Both are very helpful. I think he covers a few other Portugal locations, too - Azores, for one.

• 1 month later...

Don't lump Gibraltar in with Spain. Spain have been trying to do that for 200 years :D