Use of Sunpass from Out of State

dforeigner

Just did a search and last post was from mid 2016. We are driving from Texas to Florida in December. We will be staying a few days in FLL and driving to MIA to visit a few friends. I am considering purchasing a Sunpass in order to avoid having to carry exact change, take a cashless exit, etc. We have a similar sticker type toll pass for use here in TX. We use it maybe once or twice a year but it is very convenient for us.

Since we are driving from the west, we would rather take the toll road than having to drive all the way to I-95.

Any input on whether this is a good idea?

Which would you pick:

The SunPass Slim Portable Transponder or the SunPass Mini Sticker Transponder.

We live in NY and vacation in Florida for the winter. I have the portable transponder. I like it because it is removable. When in Florida, the EZ Pass transponder comes of the windshield and the Sun Pass goes on. Easy peasy. Reverse when heading back north...

Can't say anything about the moveable transponder. We live in Alabama and bought one of the stickers. We've used for two round trip trips to FLL. Works fine.

You can buy one at the visitors center when you enter the state. Coin operated machine. Call the 1800 number to register and put funds on the transponder. You can add additional funding online.

Sure does beat paying cash. Just get in the transponder gate and slow down a bit and keep on going.

We have a sun pass (FL) in one vehicle and a peach pass (GA) in the other - both passes are usable in FL and/or GA. That is a definite plus! I believe the peach pass is also good in at least one other state (don't remember which one). I can recommend using either one.

Love to "sail" pass the long cash lines using the e-pass!!!!

We also have the Texas Toll sticker on both vehicles, since we live in the DFW area. There is no interference with the Texas sticker.

Edited by DaKa2002
Add info

Option if you like to try new things:

http://www.paytollo.com/

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Already researching this option.

One thing I could not find is whether you get discounted toll fares the same way you when using Sunpass.

But, having said that, since I seldom drive in FL, and the price of the transponder is $19.00, it evens out at the end.