New Rail Connections Between Warnemunde and Berlin

I understand that next year there may be a new or improved rail connection between Warnemunde and Berlin.

My questions:

1. Is this true? If so, what are we talking about? More frequent service? Faster service?

2. If so, when will the new connection likely become operational?

Now i have been searching a little bit.

As it is today the Berliner Nordbahn between Berlin and Neustrelitz has a top speed of 160 km/h.

But the last part from Neustrelitz to Warnemunde called Lloydbahn only has a top speed of 120 km/h and is only single tracked in some parts.

The renovation project that should be ready in here in 2013 will upgrade the railwayline to 160 km/h and replace the old signal system with the European ETCS train signaling system.

My german is limited but what i can get from it they will also double track the part of the line that are single tracked.

I understand that next year there may be a new or improved rail connection between Warnemunde and Berlin.

My questions:

1. Is this true? If so, what are we talking about? More frequent service? Faster service?

2. If so, when will the new connection likely become operational?

Hi,

At present DB is giving no indication about when, or even if, there will be any changes in the service between Berlin and Rostock. The line up-grade is specifically to improve the Berlin-Stralsund-Rugen link but as part of this is also the line to Rostock we were hoping to benefit too.

The direct, two hourly RE service to Berlin from Rostock - the stock DB service between the two cities - has been restored but the schedule does not fit in with most cruise ship arrivals and departures. For most passengers the first possible train would be 10:34 from Rostock arriving Berlin at 13:17. There is an indirect RE departing Rostock at 9:07 arriving Berlin at 12:32 but this involves a change of train in Schwerin and adds just under an hour to the journey. To both of these must be added the 10 min walk from the ship and 25 mins Warnemünde to Rostock.

Similarly the one ICE per week-day, which now leaves from Rostock not Warnemünde, is far too early for any cruise ship arrival as it is aimed at the businessman or long-distance traveller headed south (it goes through to Munich). The weekend service is timed for the benefit of holidaymakers leaving Warnemünde later on Saturday morning. The Connex is also aimed at Germans holidaying in Warnemünde so arrives just after mid-day and leaves mid-afternoon.

It is difficult to see any real changes in these services, except for a cut in travel time in the case of the ICE and the Connex, as they meet the needs of the majority of consumers.

Sorry I cannot give you any better news. Although I will post updates my advice would be not to consider DIY by train to Berlin if you are only in port for one day. In addition to a long journey (min over 3 hours on the RE), there is the problem of Rostock being the end of the line and therefore trains back, especially the ICE, are often late. A definite NO-NO when you need to catch a ship!

There are several alternatives:- ships tour, tours with private companies such as SPB and Alla, private tours with a local operator or car hire. All of these alternatives have been discussed on this forum but if anyone has recent experience or information I'm sure it would be welcome.

The thread mentioned was in reply to a request from a passenger travelling from Berlin for embarkation in Warnemünde and, as more people seem to be doing this, I will be including the updated information on the web site.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks to all. As I understand it, even in 2014, those on a cruise making the one day excursion to Berlin should still consider car rather than rail as the main means of transportation.

Not sure why you feel this way. Don't think the car can make it faster than the chartered train, which on our run into Berlin was probably doing 100kph almost all the way, no stops. Perhaps if you are DIYing.

In August, we booked the ship's tour to Berlin. (The ship docked at Rostock.) The train trip was a pleasant ride through the countryside allowing us to see many small villages en route. It was a very long train, but the organization was quite impressive considering the number of coaches and the number of people involved. It was a 3 hour journey leading to a whirlwind tour of Berlin and then a 3 hour journey back to the port. But, it was quite comfortable. A boxed breakfast and water was served in the morning and, unexpectedly, a boxed dinner and beverage service was available on the return trip.

Archived