Golden Celerbration

As the title suggests this was to be our 'Golden' (in more was than one) cruise so we started off with a champagne breakfast in the No1 Lounge, which I can recommend we also meet at Birmingham airport one off my drinking partners and his wife who had booked their first ever cruise linked to a stay in Dubrovnik, just a quick by line after a few hours on the ship they were a little disappointed but after just one day and night they could not understand why they had waited so long to try it and thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of it and have booked again already.

Anyway after a very good, uneventful flight we arrived at the ship on time and found for the first time in all our years we checked in on the ship which was very slick but I did feel that initially is not a good first impression for new cruisers but obviously as soon as you arrive at the check in area (dinning room) with the group playing things look a whole lot better.

I should explain at this point that we have only ever cruised with Thomson so I cannot compare with other lines, we also always book the same cabin on deck 6 as Mrs PC likes to be close to the lifeboats:rolleyes:i like it because when we spend time on the deck its easy to pop back too the cabin.

Its been two years since we were last on and the improvements are great particularly the cabins which have been totally refurbished, hope they do the same on the Dream.

Entertainment probably one of the best overhaul groups of performers, that's the dancers and musicians round the ship, that we have seen.

The CD Gavin, who we have had the good fortune to have meet several times, was still excellent although when in one of his stand up performances (don't miss them) we sat at the front:eek:and he used me saying I looked like Mr Meldrew I just could not believe it but the wife found it hilarious, as did most of the audience, still cannot see the likness:rolleyes:

Food we ate mainly outside for breakfast and lunch if on board but evening we used the Meridian or one of the speciality restaurants.

It was all excellent, remember this all our opinion and we have only ever done Thomson, we like to eat early and we found Tony and Justin, who had been our waters in the past, also Simi who has received promotion too head wine waitress since we last were on.

We did stay with them for the two weeks and I realise some cruisers don't like people reserving tables but as I said we do eat early and held no one up.

I will have to do a CRUISING LINDA on this now as we have to go sorry I haven't even had time to check out my grammar:rolleyes:

Hi Pensioncruiser, great review. We checked in on the dock in a building. How strange that you checked in on the ship.

What did your friends not like at the start of the cruise? Glad they changed their minds though and booked again :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

It could have been that we docked under the bridge where the AIDA was. They had been told by the TA that they had a double with picture window so not Thomsons fault, when we meet up again at the airport they said the cruise had spoilt them and had been bored the second week😊 Langtoncouple I don't believe you said that☺

Part two now where were we?

Menus at first they appear to have been reduced with appetizers then soups and salads combined, good selection of mains and puds, to follow we always finished up with cheese and biscuits with a drop of port, so it was still a six coarse meal, also now they have introduced three set mains which include fish of the day, chicken and a vegetarian and if that's not enough you can purchase the steaks etc. I also think the portions are bigger! I think the food is back to the high standards of the past but I realise that's down to the chef who is Welsh, in fact a lot of the senior personnel are British;)

New drinks menu introduced 10th Sep prices look about the same with some extras for AI, back on Beefeater and Teachers and some others, sorry did not steal a menu, extra costs still the same but be carful if your order sparkling wine as they give you prosecco which is + £3.20:eek: so point out the one you want should be £1.20 Mrs PC still had another but do I spoil her;)

Had no problem with sun beds but a few of them are absolutely disgusting, they have also opened up the front section of deck 5 (sometimes) for sunbathing but its not a very nice environment.

So IMO the ship has improved together with the food, the entertainment and staff are still excellent which produces a very pleasant atmosphere and an enjoyable holiday.

The only down side was, that old can of worms, when one particular cruiser was using his e cigarette all over the ship including the eating areas and no one stopped him.

The itinerary we thought excellent, we had decided not to participate in any of the Thomson excursions as we had visited most of the main attractions on previous cruises.

Katakolon was first and we just walked along the beach and stopped off at a Caribbean style café for Greek coffee and wifi, but on the way back we stumbled across a 'beer bike' sounds good and it is, it consists of a rectangular structure with six seats on either side facing in and four at the rear with one seat at the front for the driver, so that's sixteen passengers that all have to pedal, you get two cans of beer and set off round the town try it.

Corinth was next but as we had actually transited the canal in the Calypso we decided again to just walk round trouble was it was Sunday and shut?

The captain did take us close into see the canal when we left which they said was the first time he had done that.

Itea is another lovely place to walk round with some very friendly locals.

Corfu came next and we followed cruisin linda's instructions into the old town which was our first ever visit and we were not disappointed.

Kotor What can you say, if you have been you know if you haven't you must but go early it is very busy now with all the walking tours (I hate them)

Back to Dubrovnik took the taxi in and out just 13 euros each way and has been said previously SHUT your eyes. Just a note the ship docks at 2330hrs so if you are on a one weeker and do not have time on your first day you could just about fit a trip in and get your cases out for 0300hrs

Midnight Thursday start of our anniversary with three romantic songs from Heart and Mind to start the day off and what a great day it turned out to be with everyone dressing up on the Friday night for our special day or it could have been for the Captains party:rolleyes: Great meal in Mistrals with champagne from Simi and they did look after us.

The second week we did similar things, lots of walking and I think the ports have been covered previously. We had been told that Bari was not very good but we actually found it very interesting and the old town is not to be missed.

Venice I will have to do a little research next time as I would like to attempt the Mono rail but could not see any booths for tickets.

Favourite place of all just got to be Korcula but I think most of Croatia is fantastic and was disappointed to have missed out on Sibenik .

We had no rain until our return at the airport when we felt so sorry for the new arrivals.

Wish we had been on another flight home as I think this was the scariest take off we have ever experienced, he used all of the runway, which you would expect with the laying water, but once up the plane was all over the place with people screaming and we must have dropped several hundred feet:eek:well perhaps not that much but it felt like.

All in all a great holiday and looking forward to our next one in February:)

Just one PS if you do take a bike ride off the ship check your insurance one lady skidded on a jelly fish and badly cut her leg they did not really help her, think they were worried about a claim, and stated passenger error although the guide had taken them into a dangerous area.

We had a take off like that once in Majorca :eek: The plane was shaking and juddering and people screaming. Our take off from Dubrovnik was great, although he did seem to take a long time to take off, but the Dreamliner is so quiet, I thought he wasn't going to get up enough power!

Glad you enjoyed Corfu town :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

You have a different menu every day with four or five options, for mains, then three other main options but these are the same all week, then you can have the steak which you have to pay extra for, another three options. So I think the answer is yes. One day we had the best beer battered cod and chips & mushy pea's I have tasted for a long time. My honest opinion is if someone doesn't like the food they have chosen the wrong dish, I am sure you will enjoy😀😀

Thanks for the update. I will have to research our Caribbean islands ready for January as we have gone on ship tours when there before. We may be getting braver and have a go with taxi trips as I will want some beach and snorkelling trips while Ray checks out the bars. We have been happy just to wander round the port areas when on Spirit in the Med.

You have a different menu every day with four or five options, for mains, then three other main options but these are the same all week, then you can have the steak which you have to pay extra for, another three options. So I think the answer is yes. One day we had the best beer battered cod and chips & mushy pea's I have tasted for a long time. My honest opinion is if someone doesn't like the food they have chosen the wrong dish, I am sure you will enjoy😀😀

That's good, plenty of choice. I usually find something I like on the menu anyway. At least on a ship you don't mind if you choose the wrong dish as you can always visit the buffet later.;):D

Hi gillhalfpint the first beach at Bequia doesn't have a bar, just a low wall which Mrs PC used whilst I swam, she did get some ant bites, don't know Rays situation but the footpath is very narrow with a small drop on one side , it may not be suitable

Thanks for the info. He would struggle with that I reckon, so will likely find a taxi to a beach with a bar for a few hours. Best being safe.

port elizabeth is very small, just one narrow paved street which is a little potholed in places... there is virtually no traffic

the small promende along the sea front is narrow but it is level it goes along in front of the bars & cafes facing the sea... its literally one minutes walk from the tender dock (there are steps and decks to get into the bars)

there are (dirt) paths running along the back and in between the bars

if you hang a left from the dock there is a paved road..... but just a few local shops and the small market up that way.... walk a 100 yards and you are out of town

the beach (princess margaret beach) is about 2 miles away (right out of the tender dock)

port elizabeth is very small, just one narrow paved street which is a little potholed in places... there is virtually no traffic

the small promende along the sea front is narrow but it is level it goes along in front of the bars & cafes facing the sea... its literally one minutes walk from the tender dock (there are steps and decks to get into the bars)

there are (dirt) paths running along the back and in between the bars

if you hang a left from the dock there is a paved road..... but just a few local shops and the small market up that way.... walk a 100 yards and you are out of town

the beach (princess margaret beach) is about 2 miles away (right out of the tender dock)

Thanks Geo too. Love your knowledge of these wonderful islands. I am going to be looking for a lot of the beaches this time round and try not to do too many ship tours.