Security tag glue

Altonia

Just back from the Celebration, we had a wonderful time but now have the problem of how to get rid of the stick glue left by the security tag. Any suggestions.

Had the same problem. Used neat washing up liquid and it came off easily without discolouring the suitcase fabric. Friends used nail varnish remover and it removed both the adhesive and the fabric colour.

Just back from the Celebration, we had a wonderful time but now have the problem of how to get rid of the stick glue left by the security tag. Any suggestions.
Do you mean the the red and white security tags? We didn't get any. Or do you mean the labels that you stick on the handles of the cases?

Most shops sell stickey stuff remover - that's its name and it is a very good product just dab a bit on and leave a bit and pull off

If it's the label with flight code that you put on your handle you have not fitted it correctly it should not be stuck to your case just to itself

Ours wasn't a flight code label - it was a label to be used as a security seal to go across the zip/stop easy opening of the cases given to us in our check-in pack to be used prior to disembarkation. Perhaps we only got given these as we were not on a Thomson flight???

Edited by campolady

Ours wasn't a flight code label - it was a label to be used as a security seal to go across the zip/stop easy opening of the cases given to us in our check-in pack to be used prior to disembarkation. Perhaps we only got given these as we were not on a Thomson flight???

I have one of those labels still on my case from two years ago....thanks for the tip to get it off. :)

Do you mean the the red and white security tags? We didn't get any. Or do you mean the labels that you stick on the handles of the cases?

It is the red and white security tags they put on at the airport on the outbound flight, the glue residue is very sticky and not easy to get off.

Had the same problem. Used neat washing up liquid and it came off easily without discolouring the suitcase fabric. Friends used nail varnish remover and it removed both the adhesive and the fabric colour.

Thank you will try the washing up liquid and if that doesn't work will try and get the sticky stuff remover.

I have not used my "tip" on the labels you describe so I can't guarantee it will work, but it works a treat on all other sticky labels on different types of fabric, plastic, cardboard etc. without damaging the surface under the sticky bit/label. I have done this for years with success every time.

Take a can of spray furniture polish and skoosh it over the sticky bits. Leave for a few mins then gently wipe it off. If still some there repeat the process.

If you try this, please post if it worked...or not!

Take a can of spray furniture polish and skoosh it over the sticky bits. Leave for a few mins then gently wipe it off. If still some there repeat the process.

thats what we use... mr sheen/pledge ... works a treat

but we havnt been given security sticky labels for a couple of years now?:(

i use coloured duck tape... i can see straight away if my bag has been tampered with? and can report anything amiss at the luggage desk before we leave the airport

A few years ago we replaced our hardshell Samsonite cases for the same brand but lightweight and four wheel. They have zips instead of locks but because of the material they are made of they are flexible. Consequently the sticky labels are of no use whatsoever as they are burst before the crew have got them off the ship:eek: The labels are an absolute nightmare to come off and white spirit was the only thing that did the trick and brought the cases up lovely (must be the material they are made from).

However these days, like geomagot, I have now found lovely patterned duct tape and use that. No more picking the label off one tiny bit at a time.:)

As requested I am reporting on the outcome of the washing up liquid versus furniture polish glue removal experiment. Both of my cases had a security tag on the shoulder so 4 in all to remove. I picked off the tags first and was left with the glue and I tried washing up liquid on one case and furniture polish on the other.*

I left the washing up liquid on for a few minutes then wiped it off and although it got rid of the stickiness it didn't shift the lump of glue.

I sprayed on a fairly generous covering of furniture polish, left it a few minutes and when I wiped it of the glue just came off with it.*

My cases are polycarbonate and I can fully recommend the furniture polish method on this type of case. No idea if this would work for other types of suit case*

I have posted the results of this as a separate thread but also posting here so that the question and answer are in the same place.