Dubrovnik - NCL Jade 24 May 2015

Hey

Does anyone have an experience of a good shore excursion we could do here?

There's only two of us and a private tour would be too pricey but hoping someone knows a good local tour company that does a good semi private city tour.

thanks

Dubrovnik is very easy to do on your own. We were there last year as part of a cruise. We took a taxi along with another couple to the city center from the cruise dock, cost about 10 euros if I remember correctly. We split the cost. Purchased a Dubrovnik Card at: http://www.dubrovnikcard.com/ and started out by "walking the wall" included in the pass. Walked half way round and went down at the center of town. Visited some of the museums included in the pass. Explored around and took a taxi back to the ship.

Do some research before you go, that is really all you need. Lots of good photo ops. Some people take the cable car up the hill for an overview but we chose not to.

If you are familiar with "Game of Thrones" an extra added bonus was looking down from the wall and seeing some of the supporting cast members and an area where they were going to film :D.

Here's a link to our cruise photos including Dubrovnik: https://picasaweb.google.com/116687800070615072409/Best2014Mediterranean?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKKcu6Kb_ZXfXQ&feat=directlink

<<<Karen>>>

If you're a cheapskate like me, you'll be happy to know there are buses that go from the cruise/ferry port to outside the old town. See libertasdubrovnik.hr

Just as a heads up: You may need Croatian kunas for sightseeing in Dubrovnik. Not all places take euros. For example, to walk the wall, kunas or a credit card is needed.

Karen, those are some fantastic photos!

Edited by roothy123

roothy123-

Actually, these are DH's photos and he thanks you for your kind words. It was a great cruise :D.

I should have mentioned about the kuna. Got some at an ATM (not many) and spent most of them before we left. Having the Dubrovnik Card saved us having to pay for the wall and most of the museums with kuna. We knew about the bus but wanted to get to town ahead of the 3000+ passenger off the Regal :eek:. Planned to take the bus back to the ship but after waiting at the stop for awhile we "through caution to the wind" and took the taxi back.

<<<Karen>>>

roothy123-

We knew about the bus but wanted to get to town ahead of the 3000+ passenger off the Regal :eek:. Planned to take the bus back to the ship but after waiting at the stop for awhile we "through caution to the wind" and took the taxi back.

<<<Karen>>>

Ugh. I hope a lot of our 928 passengers decide to take the ship's shore excursions or hire cabs or something other than take the bus! If not, I'll probably take a cab, too, unless we get lucky and there's a shuttle bus to the Old Town area.

Hey

Does anyone have an experience of a good shore excursion we could do here?

There's only two of us and a private tour would be too pricey but hoping someone knows a good local tour company that does a good semi private city tour.

thanks

IMO the easiest thing to do is to grab a cab and get a short tour, then get dropped off at the old city. Once there using a guide book you can walk everywhere.

The advantage of the cab is that they will take you over the new bridge and to the top of the mountain, after that unless you want to venture far away everything is pretty much within the walls.

If you're a cheapskate like me, you'll be happy to know there are buses that go from the cruise/ferry port to outside the old town. See libertasdubrovnik.hr

Just as a heads up: You may need Croatian kunas for sightseeing in Dubrovnik. Not all places take euros. For example, to walk the wall, kunas or a credit card is needed.

Karen, those are some fantastic photos!

Do the buses take euros or must have exact change in Kunas? Do you remember how much was your bus fare?

Thank you.

Croatian Kuna is our legal currency, it must be accepted by all vendors. Being part of the European Union does not automatically permit a country to change currency overnight. The exchange rate you will receive for Euros will be very poor. I strongly suggest that you obtain Kunas at any of our many ATM machines.

Libertas bus will only accept Kuna, fare is 15 Kuna per person. The city wall, Franciscan & Dominican Monasteries, Rectors Palace, Rupe Musuem only accept Kuna. Enjoy your time here.

I am not the original poster but had a related question. I will be visiting Pula the day before coming to Dubrovnik. I will get kunas there but I was hoping to use them on a bus from Pula to Rovinj. If the AT only gives paper bills I can buy a ticket in the bus terminal. However, for cruisers only stopping at Dubrovnik, would they likely need to get kunas at an AT (assume there is probably one near the Gruz cruise or ferry port) and then buy a transit pass at a kiosk that I hear is near by?

I am not the original poster but had a related question. I will be visiting Pula the day before coming to Dubrovnik. I will get kunas there but I was hoping to use them on a bus from Pula to Rovinj. If the AT only gives paper bills I can buy a ticket in the bus terminal. However, for cruisers only stopping at Dubrovnik, would they likely need to get kunas at an AT (assume there is probably one near the Gruz cruise or ferry port) and then buy a transit pass at a kiosk that I hear is near by?

Yes there is an ATM machine at the port. You can buy Kunas there and then buy a bus ticket. However since cruisers have limited time in port, I do NOT recommend using our Libertas bus as it takes too long. During the winter you have school children using it and do understand that our school has duel times. During the summer there are so many tourists riding the bus that often a few can pass you easily without stopping due to crowding.

Take a taxi, spend your time inside the old part of town. Saving pennies does not make sense.

Croatian Kuna is our legal currency, it must be accepted by all vendors. Being part of the European Union does not automatically permit a country to change currency overnight. The exchange rate you will receive for Euros will be very poor. I strongly suggest that you obtain Kunas at any of our many ATM machines.

Libertas bus will only accept Kuna, fare is 15 Kuna per person. The city wall, Franciscan & Dominican Monasteries, Rectors Palace, Rupe Musuem only accept Kuna. Enjoy your time here.

Thank you for the information.:)