Need Help w/Inside Passage

Ladydamascus

I am traveling with my mom on a Holland America cruise (Inside Passage) May 15th-May22. She has mobility issues and walks with a walker. I am looking for independent activities in Juneau, Sitka, Ketchican, Hubbard Glacier that are reasonably priced (below $150.00 per person). She likes fishing and wants to see wildlife. She cannot walk far and cannot board a vessel without a ramp, or steps directly from pier. Also, any ideas for activities is Victoria in the evening?

Thanksclear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Have you considered renting a car or hiring a private driver to show you around? Look online at the visitor information and local maps for Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan and decide what you want to see. Look at HAL excursion offerings, they are rated by activity level. Hubbard Glacier is viewing from the ship so find a nice viewing area or watch from your balcony.

I'd suggest considering taking a wheelchair. Sometimes unpredictable fatigue can set in with touring. A folding transfer chair could be easy to manage. Sometimes there are civic organizations, like Veterans, Senior Centers, American Legion who will loan them, Craig's List, Goodwill, Salvation Army could also be an option? They can be costly with ship rental.

All the port areas are "flat", and going up and down the streets could be interesting? Skagway especially would work well, and you can enjoy a free Park Service led walking tour. You do have to sign up early www.nps.gov/klgo Ketchikan a look down Creek Street, passing by a few totems, maybe, with help could manage the funicular up? Steps involved with a railing, but some beautiful totems out the back. nice view. Alaska Discovery Center?

In Sitka- I've had no problem pushing a wheelchair to the National Park either- A movie and some exhibits, BUT the loop trail, would be difficult with a transfer chair and the small wheels. Maybe consider just the immediate area? There is a loop shuttle bus that includes a Raptor Center stop..

I've listed a bunch of very low cost/free stuff, in case, you want to consider stacking the money for a more costly tour? Dolphin Tours does have an accessible whale watch.

I'd also suggest, you might want to consider a flight seeing- one thing you are going to find with Alaskans is their generosity with making challenges work. I've had several experiences where I was just about in tears with the success of the "impossible" with vendors who worked with challenges of a person I was traveling with. I sent my nephew on a helicopter flight last year, with a 97 year old mobility challenged gentleman and his son, everyone made sure he safely got on and took his time. The smiles of everyone upon return were- "priceless". :)

Edited by Budget Queen

I agree with budget queen and would suggest considering all excursions even though they don't say that they are acceptable for mobility impaired folks and call. Don't rely on the cruise line (except for the train in Skagway) to point you in the only directions for excursions. Talk to the provider about what can be done.

Have you considered renting her a scooter to use? Ships are BIG. It makes it so much easier to get around- and she is more likely to be an active participant. Dinner to a show to an observation deck could seem like Hiking miles and be very tiring. Just a thought.