Rum Runner??

I have two reuasable collapsable "water" bottles, one pink one blue, same concept as the rum runner. Do you think these will work the same? Not be detectable?

Thanks, Dani

...it will work. Detectable...unlikely. Place it inside your shoes. Perhaps you may also want to take an extra precaution and place it inside a ziplock bag. :)

Hi scielerep. From my recent experience those camo caps would not work very well. We brought a number of non-alcoholic drinks in our carry-ons and the security guy looked at the caps of all the bottles carefully and then shook them gently looking for bubbles and such. I spent a lot of time researching to find the best ways to sneak adult beverages on board and rum runners are the way to go these days. If you or others reading this want to read about my experience and somewhat detailed recommendations let me know. I don't really want to post that here or online. My email is bigbearmike at g mail.

Edited by BigBearMike

• 1 year later...

My wife and I just bought a set for a recent Carnival cruise and they worked fine. We did take the precaution of Ziploc bags, but didn't need them; no leakage problem.

I did a lot of research here before deciding to use the flasks. We flew to the port city, and each had a checked bag. Using them in a carryon is risky business; TSA doesn't allow liquids in carryon luggage, and we didn't want to risk losing them before the cruise had even begun. So my 32 ounce flask (bourbon) went in one bag, and my wife's 16 ounce flasks (vodka and Kahlua) went in the other. We placed them between clothing items, with one stuffed in a shoe.

No problems at all, and while I'm no expert on cruise lines, I find it difficult to believe that cruise lines could afford to check every piece of checked luggage in the short window they have for loading. I also found (by speaking to a steward) that Carnival, at least, doesn't care what you bring on once you're at sea. We brought a bottle of booze (small) on board we purchased on a shore excursion with no discovery.

This is a good product--I'll use it for concerts and other events as well. The flasks are durable and easy to use. One issue: They take forever to dry out after cleaning. But they're cheap and convenient, and at least from this one trip, we saved a ton of money on booze by using them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone sail rci? They only have fountain pop on any of their packages.. I'm concerned that if you were lucky enough to get a rum runner on board how did you do it? We sailed celebrity last time and they had canned pop and we loved that. Very convenient to make a drink I while you were getting ready for dinner.

We succeeded perfectly with Porta Shots on an RCI cruise 5 weeks ago. Got them at Total Wines - they have a web site. These are one-shot plastic pouches in long strings, but you can separate them and spread them around in cosmetic and dopp bags, shoes, etc. I wish the selection and quality were better, but the concept worked great.

Anyone sail rci? They only have fountain pop on any of their packages.. I'm concerned that if you were lucky enough to get a rum runner on board how did you do it? We sailed celebrity last time and they had canned pop and we loved that. Very convenient to make a drink I while you were getting ready for dinner.

We bought the soda package and got the reusable glasses filled up with coke and ice before going to the cabin. I also had some lemon wedges from the buffet stored in a zip-lock in the fridge, so just tossed in a lemon wedge and the porta shot, and voila, rum n coke with a lemon garnish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We were on the March 29th sailing Emerald Princess out of Fort Lauderdale. There were 18 of us and we all had a Rum Runner in our suitcase that all made it through.

The xray operator must've been really lazy that day. The liquid as well as the rum runner can be easily detected when it goes thru an xray machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app