Has anyone gone from Le Havre to Mont St. Michel?

rusticfurnituremaker

We will be docking at Le Havre at 7am. We depart at 7pm. I have been looking into a tour offered by Le Havre Taxi (found their name on CC).

They offer an amazing tour to Mont St. Michel which is 10 hours. Has anyone gone to Mont St. Michel from LeHavre. Is it doable in 10 hours?

Was it worth the trip?

Any info even on the site would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Amy

It's about a 2 hour 45 minute drive to Mont St. Michel. We're actually doing this on a land trip in June but we've decided to break up our 5 days in Normandy/Brittany to be 3 in Honfleur and 2 in St. Malo as we don't have to do that drive twice in one day! But if you're only there for the one day go for it. Mont St. Michel for me is bucket list :)

Is it doable? Yes. Is it wise? Perhaps. Keep in mind that you will spend more than 5 hours of your day just driving back and forth. If you have already explored much of region closer to Le Havre, and have a pressing desire to go to Mont St Michel, than its probably the right tour for you. However, there are certainly plenty of other interesting places a lot closer to the port (such as Normandy, Honfleur, etc etc). We have spent a lot of time driving in France (including this particular region) and would not generally recommend anyone spend such a large proportion of a port day just driving between point A and point B.

Hank

Is it doable? Yes. Is it wise? Perhaps. Keep in mind that you will spend more than 5 hours of your day just driving back and forth. If you have already explored much of region closer to Le Havre, and have a pressing desire to go to Mont St Michel, than its probably the right tour for you. However, there are certainly plenty of other interesting places a lot closer to the port (such as Normandy, Honfleur, etc etc). We have spent a lot of time driving in France (including this particular region) and would not generally recommend anyone spend such a large proportion of a port day just driving between point A and point B. Hank

For Amy, Hank is offering some good advice and raising the right questions. If you have a "gross", total time of 12 hours in port, doing a ten-hour tour might be making it a little tight. You can't get off of the ship right when it docks and you need to be back earlier than the departing time. It's possible, but there are lots of other options/factors to consider from this port.

HERE'S WHAT I POSTED EARLIER:

As the others have noted, renting a car to see the Normandy beaches, etc., can be done and it gives you lots of flexibility. If you team with another couple, it can work very well in an affordable manner. You have many options to consider. You can't do it all during this one port day, but you can do much in that time period. Here are a couple of notes on those wonderful options.

NORMANDY: This is an area with many great potentials, including its 360-mile coastline, historic cities, beaches, lush farmlands, fine cheeses, nice ciders and many Gastronomic delights! This includes calvados, an apple brandy and Camembert cheese, a local specialty. It was part of ancient Gaul, conquered by Julius Caesar in the 1st century BC. The name of Normandy is derived from the settlement and conquest of the territory by Vikings ("Northmen") from the 9th century. Architecture in upper Normandy is typified by half-timbered buildings that also recall vernacular English architecture.

For the area, here’s more tourism info: http://www.normandie-tourisme.fr

BAYEUX: This charming town is built around the magnificent Cathedral of Notre-Dame and is home to the 200-foot long Bayeux Tapestry. This is a world famous masterpiece whose cartoon-like scenes depict the epic tale of William the Conqueror's expedition conquering England in 1066 AD. We had a wonderful lunch at the Lion d’Or, a former coaching inn dating back to 1770. The town/area tourism website is: http://www.bessin-normandie.fr

WORLD WAR II LANDING BEACHES: The largest military landing in history took place in Normandy on June 6, 1944 with 130,000 troops landing that day on the beaches. Monuments, museums and bunkers are a living commemoration to the Battle of Normandy. The American Cemetery is located near Colleville-sur-Mer on a cliff overlooking Omaha Beach (one of the landing beaches of the Normandy Invasion) and the English Channel. It covers 172 acres and contains the remains of 9,387 American military dead, most of whom were killed during the invasion of Normandy and ensuing military operations. The graves face westward, towards the United States. This cemetery is very moving and is maintained in an incredibly beautiful manner.

MONT-ST-MICHEL (mohn-san-mee-shel) is a unique abbey perched precariously on a 264-foot high rocky islet connected to the mainland by a causeway. Surrounded by over half a mile of massive walls and reached by a steep climb up winding streets, it remains one of the greatest sightseeing attractions in Europe and the second only to the Eiffel Tower as the most visited place in France. Its fortifications enabled the islet to withstand repeated English assaults during the Hundred Years' War. The abbey served as a prison during Napoleon's reign. Restored after 1863, and connected to the mainland by a causeway in 1875), Mont-St.Michel is also known for its tides, the highest on the continent. For more tourist info/options: http://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Is it doable? Yes. Is it wise? Perhaps. Keep in mind that you will spend more than 5 hours of your day just driving back and forth. If you have already explored much of region closer to Le Havre, and have a pressing desire to go to Mont St Michel, than its probably the right tour for you. However, there are certainly plenty of other interesting places a lot closer to the port (such as Normandy, Honfleur, etc etc). We have spent a lot of time driving in France (including this particular region) and would not generally recommend anyone spend such a large proportion of a port day just driving between point A and point B.

Hank

Hank: As always you are a font of knowledge! I have been to Honfleur/Rouen and don't wish to see the Normandy area. My other options are the 3 hour bus or two hour train to Paris. I would be in the same position then, spending so much time in transport. After seeing the photos/writeups of Mont St. Michel, I really think I would like to see it. I am prepared for taking half of my time in transport, and having way too little time to spend in MSM. My main reason in asking is that when I had originally contacted some private tour operators about this trip, half said "no, it can't/shouldn't be done" or "sure, we do that all the time". I was left in a position of who did I trust? I always do my own tours, and am not afraid of travel without the protection of ship sponsored tours. I just wanted to be sure that this trip was feasible in 10 hours and that I could be as sure as possible that I would be able to make it back to the ship in time.

Thanks.

Amy

Terry: Thanks so much for spending so much time replying to my query. I was really able to get many ideas from your post. My problem now is getting some of my fellow passengers to share the ride with me to defray some of the cost. Sadly, very few on my roll call seem to have the independent spirit and would rather be cattle (imo) on a ship sponsored tour. Oh, well, to each his own. I am sure we will all enjoy ourselves, whatever tours we choose.

Amy

Terry: Thanks so much for spending so much time replying to my query. I was really able to get many ideas from your post. My problem now is getting some of my fellow passengers to share the ride with me to defray some of the cost. Sadly, very few on my roll call seem to have the independent spirit and would rather be cattle (imo) on a ship sponsored tour. Oh, well, to each his own. I am sure we will all enjoy ourselves, whatever tours we choose. Amy

THANKS, Amy, for the added info and background to both Hank and me! It clearly sounds like you "GET IT" on what you're seeking to do and consider. One caution is that Mont St. Michel can be a little "funky" on weather, fog, etc. It can be covered over at 10 am and then clear out by 11 am. That adds to its charm, mystery and beauty.

Others are a little timid and lacking in the sense of "independent spirit". I'm with you in "GOING FOR IT!". Many are slow to post on these boards and/or consider their port options till a few weeks prior to your cruise. It will all work out. Be patient in hoping to hook up with others. Keep plugging, asking questions, planning ahead. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

Giving Amy's situation it sure sounds like Mont St Michel is a good option. It certainly is a shorter drive than going to Paris (we love Paris but hate doing it on a port day in Le Havre). As to Mont St Michel, it is a charming place although some would say it has really sold-out to tourism. The only sad thing about visiting this town on a cruise day is that you will not get to see the place after dark when the lighting makes it seem like a magical city. Such is the life of cruisers and nobody is feeling sorry for any of us who get to cruise in such fabulous waters.

Hank

Amy,

We've done it. Were we worried about missing the ship...no more than any private tour. However, our ship didn't depart until 9:00pm. We didn't get back until 6:30pm (8:30am departure). A note of caution...we made a stop at some French village for about 1 hour on the way to the Abbey because our guide said that services there really didn't open until 11:00. Would we do it again...probably, but perhaps not with a 7:00pm sail time. Good luck with your cruise and tour.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

hi I am french and I live in Normandy. what was said in the previous posts is right. MSM is a fantastic place but it's quite far away from le havre. 2h15 minutes each way, that would leave you more than 4 hours on the spot which in my opinion is largely enough for a lunch,a visit and some shopping.

feel free to ask if you have some questions.

Francis.

• 6 years later...

We are looking at similar trip for September 2106 stop in Le Havre.

We are in port 8am to 10pm.

We are renting a car and I am contemplating driving directly to Mont-Saint Michel (high tide that morning is at 10:18am...I drive faster than most, but after time to get rental car, still would guess could be there by 11am, not sure how fast tide goes out, but would hope to still see the island at least partially "isolated"??)

Then I'm thinking we would head back and route through Normandy to do the WW2 type stops.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice to that plan.

• 1 month later...

hi...we love doing trips on our own to and tend to rent a car as well...we would be willing to go with you and share the cost if interested...what ship and date are you on?

Janice

hi I am french and I live in Normandy. what was said in the previous posts is right. MSM is a fantastic place but it's quite far away from le havre. 2h15 minutes each way, that would leave you more than 4 hours on the spot which in my opinion is largely enough for a lunch,a visit and some shopping.

feel free to ask if you have some questions.

Francis.

we really want to see MSM but not sure if we have enough time...do you think we should rent a car> do you know of any tour company...

thank you

Janice

hi...we love doing trips on our own to and tend to rent a car as well...we would be willing to go with you and share the cost if interested...what ship and date are you on?

Janice

MSC Splendida...we get on the ship in Southampton September 14th.